“Another smasher!”
Review of The George

The George
Ranked #14 of 129 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Excellent Pub Food in the heart of Keswick. Comfortable restaurant as well as bar food
Jarrow
“Another smasher!”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We always try and have a meal at The George when in Keswick and again we weren't disappointed! We hadn't booked a table but were fitted in by very friendly staff. Plenty to choose from great menu and opted for the lamb George with mash, seasonal vegetable and minted gravy, it was superb! The lamb just fell off the bone and it had no fat, mash was smooth and creamy and the vegetables were done to a tee! One very clean plate and a very satisfied customer. My husband had the pulled pork with sweet potato fries,salad and a BBQ sauce he was very impressed as well,excellent night all round.

Visited August 2014

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Pleasant meal”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I had an evening meal there. I loved my starter, he didn't like his. We were split on the main course too - his was very good, mine edible but slightly disappointing.
Ambience OK, but it does look a bit tired. Our waiter was very nice, while the guy in charge of the restaurant was less than friendly (we ended up eating at the bar).
Mixed experience, but still rather nice.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“One of the best meals I have had”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The food and service was excellent. We went on a night that was extremely busy but the staff coped very well. My husband had Ribeye steak, I had vegetarian fish cakes. There was too much for me to eat. The meal was nicely presented and the staff worked hard. An excellent meal

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Quality”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were recommended by the owners of our B&B. The food was really tasty and nicely cooked. The staff was really friendly too. We really enjoyed our dinner at the George Hotel restaurant.

Visited August 2014
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Disapointing return.”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have stayed at The George on many previous occasion and we left this year somewhat deflated.

Small issues that could easily be rectified had a big effect on our experience. Breakfast is still an issue (as discussed in last years review) and intimacy and comfort are pushed aside for operational convenience. A little background music would help alleviate the uncomfortable silence and awkward distractions from other guests. And utilising all of the restaurant would completely irradiate the horrendous and invasive seating arrangements.

Our room had been visited by housekeeping on the second day of our two night stay. I use the word "visited" and not "serviced" as that would be an inappropriate description of what we found. Our complimentary milk and coffee had been replenished and the used towels had been hung up on the back of the bathroom door. And that was quite literally it. The bed had not been made or the sheets changed. Our glasses from the night before were still where we had left them. Nothing else had been done at all. This had never been the case during any of our previous four breaks with the hotel.

The TV in the room had 8 channels. If you like channel 4 or one of its sister channels (E4. More 4. Film 4. Ch4 +1.) or if you like children's programs, you wont be disappointed. I just wanted the news when I went to bed and when I first woke up, but ended up having to settle for Horrid Henry and Iggle Piggle instead.

Apart from this room was nice, the bed comfortable, the staff generally helpful and the beer well kept.

We visited the restaurant as we do each year and couldn't fault the food. Black Pudding Tower is still my favourite starter of anywhere and the pheasant was fantastic.

I would still recommend the restaurant to anybody that loves a good hearty English meal and we will undoubtedly be visiting again, but unfortunately I feel that this break at The George Hotel will be our last.