“We will return.”

Ranked #102 of 139 Restaurants in Keswick
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 November 2012

My wife and I took a couple of friends to Oxley's Bistro for Sunday lunch, and what a wonderful lunch we had. My starter of goats cheese, sun blushed tomato and asparagas salad was a lovely opener, while our friends soon polished off their spiced duck and prune terrine with fruit chutney. Two of us moved on to the roast rib eye of lakeland beef with yorkshire pudding and horse raddish sauce. They described their beef as one of the best tasting meals they've had in a long while. The baked fillet of salmon with prawn and chervil butter was delicious. All the vegetables were fresh and local. The meal was washed down with a lovely Tasmanian red wine with a beautiful colour and a wonderful taste. Only one of our party said they could manage a sweet, but when the key lime pie came there was a lot of sharing going on. And, what value, two courses at £12.95, three courses for £15.95. The service was excellent and very friendly. I enjoyed my meal at Oxley's so much I intend to return in a few days time.

There are newer reviews for Oxley's Bistro

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We has a great Sunday lunch here yesterday, the bistro was nicely full, and the food was excellent , great value too with fixed price 2 courses £12.95 or 3 for ?15.95. Children's meal only £4.95!

Large plate of rib of beef perfectly cooked, nice veggies and my salmon was lovely. Good choices.

You will struggle to find such a beautiful location- this bistro is furnished very stylishly, and like everything here, attention to detail is faultless. We have also enjoyed the weekday menu too. Yummy!

1  Thank Alihalimh
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This is worth finding, and it isn't easy... but once there it is amazing. We ate Sunday roast, but had a look a the general menu, it would be worth while going back if the Sunday Roast is anything to go by. The staff said the menu changes quite regularly, they like to keep it fresh, all local foods so nice to see.

1  Thank sirstones
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Enjoyed a great evening at Oxleys Bistro excellent choice of food and wine, very good service at affordable prices.
A little gem cannot wait to go back-will certainly recommend to friends.

1  Thank OzziePom
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We had a lovely meal at Oxley's on the last night of our stay at the nearby Underscar timeshare appartments. The quality of the food was a lot higher than I was expecting - the portions are substantial and the level of cooking is on a par with any of the nearby gastropubs in Keswick.

I had a great steak and ale pie (perfect for a cold winter's night) and my wife had a very good chicken breast and chorizo with creamed potatoes, but there were several other dishes on the menu we'd like to have tried.

Children are also well catered for - smaller portions of the main dishes are available (with a 30% discount), or there's a separate children's menu. My 3y/old daughter chose pasta and sausages from the children's menu, and it came with proper butcher's sausages and a made-from-scratch tomato sauce in a large serving.

Prices were reasonable - £10-13 for main courses and £4-6 for starters, but well worth it for the portion size and quailty of the cooking.

Wine list is good - plenty to drink by the glass or by the half-bottle, and nice to see a selection of organic wines which were decently priced. Nice beers as well - I had a Samuel Smith's Organic Lager with my starter which was lovely.

Atmosphere was good - due to a heavy snowfall that afternoon there were only a few tables occupied so it was a bit more subdued than it might otherwise be, but the weekend before it had been fully booked. Serving staff were attentive and flexible but unobtrusive (which is pretty much ideal).

Oxley's is on the road up to the main Skiddaw path and Latrigg carpark, just outside Keswick, so it's well worth considering if you've had a day on the hills. If you're lucky you may also see some of the local red squirrels playing outside while you're there!

1  Thank Ithaca99