“Welcoming Hotel with a personal touch”
Review of Lairbeck Hotel

Lairbeck Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Keswick
London, United Kingdom
“Welcoming Hotel with a personal touch”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago and I would recomend it to everyone. The hotel is a pleasant 10-15 minute walk from the centre of Keswick. Our room was a good size and very clean. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Before booking we read that the food was fantastic and it certainly didn't disappoint. We will definately be returning.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I chose this place based on all the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor but was very disappointed with it. It is more a Guest House than a Hotel.

Yes - it is very clean and there was loads of hot water even late at night. The Building is beautiful and the gardens are lovely. Those are the good points.

My comments are;

(a) - the michelin recommended food is ok but nothing special - very un-imaginative and certainly not good value- I would not recommend the set price dinner.
(b) - the woman (who I assume is Jennifer) was more like a Head mistress - it was very odd - we wanted to eat later (8/8.30 - being normal dinner times) but from a starting point of 6.30 - we managed to grudgingly get her to agree to 7.30. It is not like the place was busy and she needed the table. We had to decide 3 hours in advance what we would like to eat that evening.
(c) - Malcolm asked if we were happy with the breakfast as some of it was uneaten. We said "the bacon was tough" and he proceeded to argue with us that it was award winning bacon and very popular and that it was normal to cook it in advance. That may be so - but it was tough. More like canteen food.
(e) I also forgot to order packed lunches for a climb and asked in the morning "I know I should have ordered last night but is there any chance of a packed lunch" - Instead of a yes or a no - I got " you should have asked last night" as a reply!! She is probably well intentioned but it does not come across that way.
(f) - there was no shower - just a bath (with carpet up the side!) with a hose. I thought showers were standard so had not even thougth to ask when I was told the room was ensuite with full bath.

All of the other guests were considerably older than us (we are mid/late 30s) and I think that it the demographic it is aiming to please.

Overall it is ok - not objectionable - but really not worth all those excellent reviews.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
13 Thank totallyali
MalcolmHutchinson, Owner at Lairbeck Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
Thank you for appreciating our cleanliness and the beautiful house and gardens.

Our other responses:

These guests arrived at 4.30 and were initially offered dinner times between 6.45 and 7.30 as a good fit with other diners. One member of their party said, "7.30 is OK that gives us 3 hours."
We aim to seat people for dinner between 6.30 and 8.00 but do earlier dinners (e.g. for guests going to Keswick’s wonderful Theatre by the Lake) and occasionally later for late check-ins who have pre-booked dinner.
Our Michelin commended dinners – fifth year in the guide? These guests cleared their plates, at each course and one of them commented, "The banana sponge pudding was absolutely delicious.”
We ask guests to pre-order starters and main course either on arrival or after breakfast each day. Most appreciate that this is a good way of ensuring their first choice of locally sourced fresh cooked food from a menu that changes daily. This reduces unnecessary food waste and helps us to remain good value.
At their first breakfast I noticed that these guests left most of the bacon from the full Cumbrian breakfast. All of the other cooked breakfast plates that morning came back empty. At check out I asked the Reviewer if their stay had been OK and she said that it had. I mentioned the bacon. She replied, “We didn’t like the taste. Everything else was OK; the fresh fruit was very nice.” I explained that we use prize winning dry cured bacon. We were joined by another member of the party who said “It was tough; it was cooked the day before.” I started to explain that I had begun cooking the bacon only 15 – 20 minutes before it was served to them. She interrupted and said, “I like my bacon straight out of the pan.” This same guest later angrily challenged a bill item for a bottle of wine until I reminded her that they had a bottle of Rioja with dinner. The Reviewer then said yes the Rioja was very good. Taking their comments at face value I can only assume that they are unfamiliar with thick cut, lean, dry cure bacon and perhaps prefer the thin cut, wet cure variety. I am happy to respect their opinion on that but not the suggestion that we would serve at breakfast bacon cooked the day before.
For packed lunches we use our own cooked meats and other fillings produced at Lairbeck. We cannot maintain that standard unless we take orders the night before. They were starting early for Scafell Pike and had we done a rush job in the middle of breakfast and check outs I am confident that they would have criticized us for a limited choice of fillings! As this Reviewer says she knew in advance that packed lunches should be ordered the night before. This was simply and politely confirmed for her. The ‘woman’ that the Reviewer refers to, and assumes incorrectly is Jennifer, is not only well intentioned (a very creditable characteristic in my opinion) but also a very respected and experienced member of staff. She usually achieves her good intentions and from guest feedback very often exceeds their expectations.
This guest was told when she booked that this room had a bath with the familiar chrome tap assembly including a hand held spray attachment and that there was no facility for a stand-up shower in the room. The room description was confirmed in writing in May as follows: ‘Double bed, single bed and single pull out + z bed. Full en suite - bath.’ Despite this, had we been asked at any time during their stay we would have offered them rooms with showers.
People of all ages from 5 – 93 enjoy Lairbeck Hotel - that’s what we work very hard to achieve. During the Reviewers stay four regular guests also stayed. Between them these guests stay for a total of 12 weeks Dinner B & B each year.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We stayed at the Lairbeck Hotel for 3 nights and were made to feel most welcome by the staff. The hotel itself is a lovely old building with lots of period features and a warm welcoming feeling. The room we had was excellent, with a great en-suite which had a separate bath as well as a shower and was a good size. The mattress was of excellent quality giving us several great nights sleep, something which is often overlooked in some hotels.

The breakfast was excellent, and indeed enough that lunch was just a light snack !, with a good choice, including fruit, yoghurt, cereal, continental and full cooked. Location wise the Hotel is situated on vicarage hill and is around a 10 minute walk into the centre of Keswick, which we found no problem, however note that the shortest route is the steepest, with the route via the main road being much more sedate.

We did read other reviews to this place before booking and have to say found none of the negative comments we read about in our stay there. Would recommend and will certainly be our top choice when we are looking to stay in a hotel in Keswick again.

Room Tip: If the hotel isn't busy ask what rooms are available and make choice on viewing/description
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mmac8
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We have recently returned from a week’s stay here – in what has become an annual pilgrimage to Lairbeck and the Lakes. As ever, the welcome by our hosts was warm and friendly, our room was spotlessly clean and comfortable and the staff always ready to be of assistance. The breakfast was tasty, generous and requiring a long walk to work up an appetite for the equally enjoyable evening meal. It’s always a pleasure to stay in this small, friendly hotel where a drink in the bar with other guests often leads to a pleasant after dinner chat long into the evening. We will be back for certain.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Hyde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My husband and I stayed with friends for 4 nights and had a lovely long weekend break here.
The hotel staff are all very friendly and welcoming
It is situated in a quiet location ideal for walking into Keswick town centre, takes about 15 mins.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alibobs31
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My partner and I have stayed here on several occasions now, having tried four or five other places in Keswick over the last few years. This is easily the best in Keswick in my view. The location is great: easy to get to off the A66, a short walk down to the pubs and restaurants of Keswick and plenty of parking, which we found to be a problem with some of the other places we stayed in Keswick. We stay here two or three times a year - usually for a long weekend. The bedrooms and bathrooms are spotless and well furnished. I particularly liked the chaise longue in the room we had last time! We have not eated dinner there - often being out on the hills to late or going to the theatre, but breakfast is great, the only problem being that the full breakfast is really quite large and needs a lot of walking off. The last time that we stayed was the Royal Wedding weekend and I had had to leave London is a rush whilst still working on a deal with only my blackberry. My team in the office and the advisors emailed documents to the Lairbeck on the Friday evening for my arrival so that I could review them and sign them and they could be pdf'd back. That continued over the weekend. something that a hotel in a major city might take in its stride - but not necessarily a place like this. The Lairbeck took it in its stride, even when documents were very long. Malcolm could not have been more helpful - making fortifying ham sandwiches at 11 pm and emailing documents at gone midnight. Without their help I would have had to return to London. We love the friendliness of the place.

Room Tip: Try for the Drawing Room - more expensive but lovely views and big enough for a game of sock footbal...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I stayed here for three nights with two business friends from India who wanted to see the Lakes. We loved the hotel - we were made very welcome, the food was very good, and the house has much character and great views. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends