Lairbeck Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
Lyzzick Hall Hotel(Under Skiddaw)
View Hotel
All reviewslovely buildingfabulous hotelpheasant innb bsmall hotelshort breaklarge roomcooked breakfastwarm welcomefresh fruitplenty of choicebiscuitsmalcolmskiddaw
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 September 2013

When we arrived, Malcolm, the owner, greeted us very cordially. The room that we had, the "Drawing Room" was excellent in size, furnishing, decoration, fitments and above all, cleanliness.

Breakfast in the morning was good, everything cooked well with good ingredients.

Malcolm and his wife were really nice, not in your face, but there if you needed them. They were chatty but not invasive.

Overall a good stay in good surroundings.

By the way, the tree outside we estimated at 140 - 150 feet - a true giant!

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet as there are no roads nearby. Some rooms are larger than others, for instance the Drawing Room could have held a small football match!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Eric W
MalcolmHutchinson, Owner at Lairbeck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you! What we like to think is a very objective review from a 'senior contributor' for T A is always very welcome but was especially welcome on this occasion. Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed Lairbeck and for the info on our wonderful Redwood tree.
Best wishes Jennifer & Malcolm

Reviewed 16 September 2013

the hotel is overpriced at £120 a night, it looks like something out of early 80s very outdated. Breakfast was good. the surrounds were good. we had 2 pack lunches made for us for when we went for a hill walk which cost £15, when I asked the owner how much it would be the night before, his reply was I cant remember I will just put it on your bill. my wifes tuna sandwich was so soggy she could not even eat it. I will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank 007steve

Thank you for your review. Glad you both liked our, freshly cooked to order full, Cumbrian breakfast. Thank you also for scoring us 'good' on cleanliness and 'excellent' on location. We are sorry that you think £60.00 per person per night B & B was too high a price for the largest room in our hotel. You had the family room as a larger twin room. Most of our guests say it is good value and of course it is not just the room you are paying for but all the hotel facilities such as the bar and for example the amount of time Jennifer spent explaining your walking route to you.

We do packed lunches to guest specification (no set price or contents) hence you chose from a selection of fillings two rounds of tuna sandwich for you and a round of cheese and tomato for your wife. So three rounds of generously filled sandwiches freshly made for you 30 minutes before you collected them, two packets of crisps, two large apples, two chocolate bars and two bottles of water for a total of £15.50 did seem quite reasonable to us. What I said about the price was that I would return to let you know when I had totted it up and did you want the cost on your bill (as opposed to paying there and then). When I returned within minutes to tell you the price you were not there and although I phoned your room and looked out for you I didn't see you again that night. The price for each lunch was therefore put prominently on each lunch bag for you.

We would recommend that you at least consider communicating (good or adverse comments) with your hosts whilst you are at hotels (in addition to posting reviews). As it happens we were full that weekend and could not have offered you another room but there may have been something we could have done to improve your experience. We can see that a cheese and tomato sandwich could become quite soggy after a few hours on the hills in a rucksack. We would have refunded you for that if you had mentioned it whilst here and we will advise guests against including fresh tomato in sandwich fillings in future.

We really are keen to use guest feedback to improve and we are sorry that you won’t be returning.

Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Lairbeck hotel was a pleasure to stay in. The owners were helpful, pleasant, and typical of the lakes good hosts. The room was beautiful. Lovely four poster bed. Beautiful grounds. Good parking. (Which is a must on my list when choosing a hotel). Fabulous breakfast. Again fabulous breakfast!!!!. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Colin H

Thank you very much for this kind review. I have submitted a thank you response previously and I am not sure why it did not appear.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Lairbeck Hotel in March 2013. We stayed there with friends as we were all taking part in an adventure race nearby on the saturday. After having had a very long journey in the snow to get there on the Friday night we were greeted with a friendly, warm welcome by Malcolm and Jennifer. Due to the bad weather, several of our other party members arrived much later than planned, to which Malcolm and Jennifer were very accommodating. Our room was clean with a very comfortable bed and a picturesque view from the window of the snow covered garden. Breakfast was lovely, served at a time to suit ourselves and staff were very attentive. There were several food choices and everything was well cooked. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Lairbeck and will definitely be staying there again during future visits to the Lakes.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank H A

Reviewed 2 August 2013

My wife and I spent the night of our fortieth wedding anniversary at the Lairbeck,along with our two sons and their wife and fiancee. Hosts Malcolm and Jennifer were extremely friendly and welcoming,the rooms were comfortable and clean,and breakfast was extensive and well cooked.

Lairbeck House itself was built in 1875 and is full of character. Each room is named after its original function e.g. "Drawing Room" and "Teachers Room". Its grounds are extensive and very well maintained.

As we were leaving,Malcolm presented my wife and me with a bottle of champagne to commemorate our anniversary,a nice touch which rounded off our visit perfectly. We all agreed that if we were to stay in Keswick again we would certainly stay at the Lairbeck.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James_ME2412CD
MalcolmHutchinson, Owner at Lairbeck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Thank you for your kind review . It was great to welcome you as guests at Lairbeck.