“Excellent hotel and owners” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lairbeck Hotel

Lairbeck Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Keswick
Isle of Arran, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel and owners”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Spent three nights here at the beginning of June 2014, and had an excellent stay. The owners could not have been more helpful, especially as we are bird watchers and they pointed us in the right direction for the birds we wanted to see. Breakfast was very good and our room was very comfortable. We hope to visit again some time.

Room Tip: The "Drawing Room" had a lovely view over the garden.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angelacass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Washington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here from 27-29 May and were greeted with a very warm welcome. The owners were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The hotel was spotless clean and our room was spacious with good amenities and overlooked the beautiful garden. Breakfast was lovely and again service was friendly and very efficient. We have stayed in hotels throughout the world and what makes the Laibeck special is the hospitality of the owners. I certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Tracey P
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in this lovely hotel. Our room was nice and clean with a beautiful garden view. The breakfast was very tasty and served in the splendid dining room. The owners couldn't be more helpful and pleasant as well.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anna_joiojojio
MalcolmHutchinson, Owner at Lairbeck Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you so much for your very kind review and letting us know that you enjoyed your stay.

We all enjoyed meeting with you and we hope to see you at Lairbeck again sometime.

Best wishes
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I was staying at the Lairbeck at the same time as the couple who posted the two recent negative reviews, and I must admit I was wondering if I was actually staying in the same place. But then I realised that the reality of the situation is that the people involved objected to being asked to eat chips and curry sauce in the bar/lounge rather than the bedrooms, and were annoyed because they were asked to respect the check-out time which they’d been advised of at the time of booking. At which point my sympathy for them evaporated – I wouldn’t have liked to be the next guest in a bedroom which stank of curry, and the check-out time shouldn't have come as a surprise.

I’ve been a ‘regular’ at the Lairbeck for twenty years and have seen two changes of ownership. Each of the owners has built on the success of their predecessors and the current owners are no exception.

On arrival I was greeted cordially by Malcolm, who checked me in without any hassle and helped me take my luggage to my room. The room itself was a reasonable size, including an en-suite bathroom. The hotel is a Victorian building which was originally a country house (it wasn’t built as a hotel) and the rooms naturally vary in size but in my experience they’re all perfectly adequate. There are tea/coffee facilities and the bathroom has shampoo etc. all of which are replenished each day.

The bed was comfortable and I had no problem at all sleeping.

Breakfast is excellent. You can choose from a range of cereals, fruits and yogurts to start. The cooked selection includes a ‘Lairbeck Grill’ which is a full English breakfast made with quality ingredients, along with various other options. You can order any combination you like from the grill if you don’t fancy the ‘Full Monty’. I can’t fault the service or the food and it's a huge step up from the buffets you get in chain hotels.

As others have commented there’s no dinner service but a local restaurant/pub is recommended and is a few minutes’ walk away. There are also loads of takeaways, pubs and restaurants in Keswick town centre, which is a short walk, drive or taxi journey away. No-one will go hungry.

The hotel bar stocks a good range of beers, spirits and other drinks and the prices are on a par with the town centre pubs.

To respond to a couple of other points in previous reviews: the policy of leaving the room keys at the hotel when you’re out is by no means uncommon in my experience of Lake District hotels. It certainly isn’t for the rather paranoid reason that “he can sneak in your room at night”, not least because you’d have the key with you in the room at that time! It’s so that they can be sure the hotel can is evacuated properly in the case of an emergency. And the 10:30 checkout time is, again in my experience, not at all unusual for this type of hotel.

Overall, I like the Lairbeck a lot and have never had any issues while staying there. It will remain a hotel I will return to again and again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank NeilT1960
Benfleet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Wow! Those last couple of reviews were a bit harsh! We were up from Essex, and stayed for 2 nights, for the Keswick Mountain Festival. It was clean, and reasonably comfortable (we're used to a bigger bed, so it did seem a little cramped). The lack of meals other than breakfast does not disqualify it as a hotel; and it certainly didn't bother us, as we rarely eat in any hotels that we stay in, as we like to sample local pubs and restaurants. Breakfast was excellent by the way.

The manager was as good as gold; quite unassuming, and had plenty of useful local knowledge.
He even took my soaking boots (the result of stepping in an unseen hole on boggy land), to be dried overnight, in the boiler room. The door key situation was something we didn't quite get. I'd have preferred to keep it to hand, as the staff obviously have keys anyway.

Checkout timing wasn't an issue. We certainly didn't think of it as abnormally early.

Pricing could be keener; certainly on what was a fairly bog-standard double room; but Keswick generally appears to be able to command those rates. Would still go back though; and probably look to upgrade to a better room (with a bigger bed).

I hope that provides a more balanced view, from someone who had no real issues.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Paul1960_4
MalcolmHutchinson, Owner at Lairbeck Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you very much for your review. We really appreciate your feedback and we will review our arrangements for room keys taking into account your comments.

Room sizes at Lairbeck are very varied due to the Victorian building and we do have some very large rooms with high ceilings too. Room sizes are shown on some of our booking sites and we will have them put on our website soon. Our aim is to be as informative as possible so that guests can see exactly what we are offering.

We are always available for direct phone calls too so that we can describe particular rooms in detail.

Thanks again for taking the time to feed back to us.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Firstly the establishment they call a hotel should not be called a hotel. This is an overpriced B&B.
They don't offer any Dinner service of an evening so you have to eat elsewhere which is why this place should be called a B&B.
Check out is at 10.30am which for a so called Hotel is very early. The room I stayed in was very small and outdated.
The owner was very rude to us when we were 5 minutes late on check out, it was obvious that now he had our money we were no longer welcome.
All in all a very disappointing stay and I would never stay again or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Mark D
MalcolmHutchinson, Owner at Lairbeck Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
As you shouted a threat to do us a 'bad review' when you were leaving Lairbeck this comes as no surprise. I have answered most of your comments in my earlier response to your partners review.

Your suggestion that a four-poster room in a Victorian Country House hotel was 'dated' is interesting. It does however have a very modern en suite shower room with power shower.

I think most people reading your review will conclude that it is little more than a spiteful response to not getting your own way and a deliberate attempt to damage our business. Of course it still knocks our score on Trip Advisor. Despite this we have just been told that we have the Trip Advisor excellence award for 2014.

I think it only fair to tell you that hoteliers now confidentially share information about bad guest experiences and that I will be doing this in your case. It will be the first time I have taken such action.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Absolutely shocking, the most awful experience ever! Between myself & my partner we have 30years experience of staying in hotels all over the world from 5* luxurious manors to your basic hostels in less fortunate countries and I have to say this is by far the worst experience I have ever had. What was a lovely weekend has now been ruined by the management & his very rude & somewhat strange behaviour. This is not a hotel more a b&b & is highly overpriced for what is on offer. You are asked to leave your key on a board by the front door for anyone to take, he says for locking up purposes but is actually so he can sneak in your room at night! Do not ask for an iron as you will be asked to leave & have the door locked after you and don't dream of bringing food back to the premises as you will be threatened. AWFUL DO NOT STAY

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
18 Thank LKE26
MalcolmHutchinson, Owner at Lairbeck Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your total misrepresentation of the facts of your stay at Lairbeck.

The system of asking guests to leave keys is a well established practice in hotels and is designed for guest safety so that in the event of an emergency guests can be easily located and escorted out of the hotel. Our key board is monitored by cctv and is near our office door - no where near the front door as you have suggested.

Lairbeck is accredited by Visit Britain as a hotel, we do not serve dinners and that is stated clearly in our confirmations.

You partner asked for two plates one evening and advised me that you had 'brought a few chips' back to have in your room. I told him that we did not permit hot food to be brought into rooms because it often left odours that were difficult to clear. This would have especially been the case here since you had actually brought fish, chips and curry sauce. I suggested that as an alternative you eat your food in our bar. I provided two plates and cutlery for you. Later both you and your partner apologised, without prompting, to Jennifer and said that you realised that you should not have brought food in.

On the final morning of your stay your partner came down half an hour after check out time to settle your bill. You had not made any prior request for a late check out. If you had made a request we would not have been able to agree it as we had a very heavy cleaning schedule that morning, with lots of new guests checking in. We only agree late check outs providing it will not prejudice our room cleaning programme. Lairbeck is well recognised by our guests for the level of cleanliness we maintain. I made no comment to your partner about your late departure. He then returned to the room and you requested that an iron and ironing board be sent to your room.

I spoke with you on the room telephone and explained to you that we could not agree to your request as we needed you to vacate the room for cleaning. Both you and your partner then suggested that you had already 'checked out' . For future reference you may wish to note that most hotels expect the room to be vacated on 'check out'.

Clearly you have been annoyed beyond reason by my refusal to let you extend your already late departure still further. It has lead you to allege some very reckless things about my behaviour which I would urge you to reconsider.

I have thought very carefully about what you have said and I am sure that I acted in the best interest of other guests and the maintenance of good standards at Lairbeck.