This was lovely accommodation, we caught the train to Penrith and a bus to Keswick. We walked to the Accommodation from the bus stop/centre of town, while it was a little further than expected it was a pleasant walk. We got around to places on foot we wanted to see or start from.
Some great restaurants and good recommendations by the owner of Lairbeck Hotel.
Malcolm from the Hotel, booked a cab for us back to Penrith as the bus timing was unsuitable, cab was fixed fare.
While we were there for a long weekend we:
- Caught the ferry around the lake
- Walked Catbells, lovely views back to Keswick, over the lake, to the surrounding hills, over to Scotland...
- Hired mountain bikes and rode the "Old Coach Trail", which was 5 hours of cycling and walking as some of the trail was too steep for us to cycle. Only try this route if your fit, have a lot of time, enjoy isolation, desire a challenge, willing to stick to a commitment regardless of how hard it might seem, have sufficient water and snacks. Also there is a section that follows the major highway and can be hard to follow as it crosses the highway in spots, seems a little dangerous, so a smart phone with a map app came in handy at this point, though most of the way the map from the bike shop was sufficient.
- Lots of restaurants/pubs and walking trails
- Breakfast at the Hotel was lovely with great service
Would highly recommend this location, Keswick, and this Hotel, Lairbeck.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a relaxing holiday in a Victorian Country House in the heart of the English Lake District. Lairbeck is a 3 Star Visit Britain Hotel beautifully set in a quiet, secluded garden 10 - 15 minutes walk to Keswick, Derwentwater and the Theatre by the Lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LateRooms, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Lairbeck Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lairbeck Hotel Keswick, Lake District