“Lovely, comfortable stay in a good location”
Review of Highfield Hotel

Highfield Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Quick summary: Our large, lake-view room was very comfortable and an exellent base for exploring the Lake District. Superb restaurant. On-site parking.

We stayed 5 nights in Room 21, a spacious 2-nd floor room with a king bed (two twins put together.) Nice linens, good closet and drawer space, coffee/tea set-up, wifi, etc., it was a comfortable stay. This room had a nice lake view, except for the fact that a specimen monkey pod tree blocked some of it.

They readily accomodated our request to change the too-warm duvets for regular sheets and blankets.

Excellent housekeeping.

The restaurant, where we dined every night, was outstanding. There was a range of perfectly prepared appetizers and mains, and real talent inthe kitchen. I have to admit that the rolls served here may be my favorite in the world (and I've traveled quite a bit.) Every night was a different combo of very tasty, interesting selesctions. This is the kind of restaurant where you sit in the lounge beforehand, having drinks and looking over the menu, as the staff served complimentary amuses goules, and you order there. Yes, it's on the pricey side, but worth the tariff.

Good bar and wine list. This is the kind of place where, if you are a guest, they will set aside any bottle(s) of wine you don't finish for the next meal (or whenever.) My husband and I appreciate this as we often have one wine with appetizers,a nd another for the mains, or two different wines depending on what we are ordering.

Must admit that I was less impressed with breakfast. No doubt it was pretty good, with full cooked breakfast, and a buffet of cereals, fruit, and bread/pastries. However, they could not get my request for scrambled eggs very firm and dry right. The eggs came out very soft and mushy. Either they overlooked my request, or they use a prepared egg mix for the scrambled eggs, which never seems to come out right. Also, they serve 8-9:30, but very promptly clear away the buffet table at 9:30 -- no dawdling. The coffee in the morning was not as good as in the evening.

Service staff at the restaurants at all meals were excellent -- friendly, professional, helpful and polished.

Great location: short walk to town, the Theater-by-the-Lake, boat rides, etc. While Keswick can be touristy, it felt much more comfortable than the packed throngs of Ambleside.

My suggestions for improvement are relatively minor, as I'd be happy to stay here again:

The bathroom is about as basic as it gets, and should be a priority for an upgrade at the next renovation. While spacious enough, the shower was very small and could have been larger. Really basic sink area, with very limited shelf space for your own toiletries. Almost nowhere to hand a towel or robe. Toiletries supplied by the hotel were limited and unimpressive. In sum, it was clean and served the purpose, but you expect better of a hotel of this calibre.

The breakfast was good, up could be upgraded, knowing what the evening kitchen can accomplish.

Some things lacking, but such is an older hotel: no in-room safe; iron/board availble by request. I can deal with no lift, but there as also no one to help with bags when we checked in.

So again, this is a very nice place to stay, save some small disappointments.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mme_X

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed in the West Turret room on the 2nd floor, which gave us lovely views and a peaceful place to relax & read. Our 2 night stay was to celebrate a birthday, so we opted to have dinner at the hotel on the first night, which was excellent. Beautiful food, well presented, with attentive service. A lovely surprise touch was the 'Happy Birthday' message written in chocolate on the dessert plate. The hotel is very well located close to the lake, boat trips, lovely walks and the fantastic theatre. (approx 5 mins walk). Also handy that there is a good-sized car park at the back of the hotel. Free wifi was a bonus - remember to ask for the access code when you check in. The only thing I could suggest as an improvement (and it's a minor point) would be to extend the breakfast service time, which is currently 8.30am - 9.30am, including Sundays. Our personal preference would be to have a later option at the weekend. Overall, a lovely hotel, nicely appointed with helpful, friendly staff.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunset20000
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed for 3 nights with our 10 month old baby and had dinner in the hotel twice. Having struggled to find hotels that were baby-friendly we were very relieved to find one that welcomed us so warmly. The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble - warming baby food, providing baby listening services and giving helpful advice when it came to which room would suit us best. The room was beautiful and clean and the views sublime, also plenty of room for a cot (Room 2). Dinner was fantastic and, as any new parent knows, a real treat to be able to have a meal while knowing a baby is safe upstairs! Thank you to all that made our stay truly memorable at the Highfield, I'm sure we'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Antonia F
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I had a one night stay in the hotel and had dinner. The food was superb, I couldn't fault anything. Staff were friendly and attentive and the room was spotlessly clean. I had a turret room and the view from the little seating area was fantastic. My only issue was that I had to leave early before any breakfast was available, but I think I may have faced the same problem with any hotel in the area. I look forward to coming back again when I don't have a meeting to rush to!

Room Tip: The turret rooms are quirky and have great views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here. Its a good hotel, conveniently located within 5 mins of Keswick centre. The staff are friendly, efficient and the service is excellent.

The food in the restaurant is first class, however, we ate there two consecutive nights and there was only one vegetarian option on the main course, which was the same both nights... Fortunately it was excellent!

The only downside to our stay was the room... (Room18) which was not the best, and certainly not the standard of the room we had last time! It was long and thin, the bathroom was very small, and the view over the lake interrupted as the window is set back from the main building. The plumbing in the above/adjacent room is also noisy!

Room Tip: Room 18 is not a good room!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank buzzer1955
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We stayed at the Highfield Hotel in Keswick for a long weekend at the end of May. It was excellent!!! The staff were friendly and very attentive to our every need. We stayed in one of the Turret rooms which had a quirky seating area in the tower, very special with amazing views.
The food was superb - we ate in the hotel restaurant both nights and also for breakfast and could not fault anything.
Would return to this hotel again and recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: East Turret - Views from West Turret slightly impeded by a monkey puzzle tree.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndrewF488
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Just returned from 2nd visit to Highfield Hotel in Keswick. So often, return visit fails to live up to first stay - am very happy to report standards still top notch. We stayed in Woodford Room, absolutely lovely. Food and service still same high standard - did not enter our heads to eat anywhere else during our 4 night stay. One thing I noticed - in an industry notorious for high levels of staff turnover - all of the faces from previous years visit were still there (and still very focused on giving the guests a good experience). Will keep coming back.

If I could add one thing that would improve the facilities - Keswick is always going to attract walkers, and being the lakes - rain is not unusual - if the hotel could provide a drying room for kit - feel sure it would be used. Would also stop this guest worrying about making a mess of his immaculate room!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple