“Just the best place ever!”
Review of Highfield Hotel

Highfield Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I can't recommend the place highly enough. The staff are so super friendly and helpful and the food is to die for! This is our second time staying (used to stay here regaulary as a child when Mr & Mrs Jordan owned it), and we just can't fault it, it's gone from strength to strength. We drove over 5 hrs to get here and it really is worth it. Whilst the rooms are lovely it's the chef that draws us here. Please I emplore you to eat here in the evening, you'll thank me for it I promise. I am super surprised that the place doesn't have a Michelin star the chef is just amazing!!!! We've eaten in a lot of amazing restaurants all over the county and are lucky to live very near to a Michelin star restaurant in Henley, but I would come here every time if I could! I'd also recommend a days fishing trip with Eric Hope on Derwentwater. A special place all round.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank CatWea77

Reviewed 29 August 2014

My partner took me here for our first trip to the Lakes. Though the weather was disappointingly poor, our room offered plush, respite. We were warmly welcomed by friendly faces which I always appreciate, nothing worse than a host who can't be bothered. We were shown to our room, 20 and given a key on a wooden keyring, retro and rustic :) The room was beautiful, the view over the lake, gorgeous (once the weather settled enough to see it). Downside being when you're laid in bed, the TV is hidden behind the metal bedstead at the bottom, even if you sit up. Silly design flaw. Shower was ultra powerful which was not expected and breakfast offered a small buffet selection, but plenty of hot tea and toast. Location cannot be faulted.

1  Thank muir2000
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We spent the weekend in the Woodford room, previously the chapel- very large, but without views. However, with a lovely seating area, huge bed and bathroom, this is very comfortable.
The staff are great, and the food smashing.The dinner menu changes daily, there are several choices for each course, and a good wine list too!
It was beautiful weather so we sat out in the grounds in the afternoon, after checking out the saturday market in Keswick( which is worth a look for foodstuffs, crafts, jewellery). There plenty little pubs and cafes for lunch in town too.The lake, theatre, shops. and park are on your doorstep.
The only downside is the access to the car park , round the back and very tight if you have a large car. This is unavoidable due to the location of the hotel- but worth taking note.
We will be back( but will bring the smaller car!)

Room Tip: Checkout the photos/details on the hotel website
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel is in a great location. But, having spent 4 nights here whilst travelling around England and Scotland as a family of 2 adults and 2 children I feel that it is somewhat overpriced for what it is - compared with other accommodation. No doubt many of the rooms are fine for 2 adults, but the family room is small and rather cramped - we had more room and far more comfortable beds in a Premier Inn and Travelodge. There is more than a hint of Fawlty Towers about this place. Not only in the decor, ambience and architecture but in the way that it aspires to be something that it is not. It is apparent in the austere English breakfast, ritualistically eaten in silence, featuring mass buffet servings of generic cereals, long life fruit juice, cold hour old toast, small china bowls of jam, marmalade and butter - but, heaven forbid, nothing as vulgar as baked beans with the cooked breakfast. I have never stayed anywhere that added £2.50 as a surcharge for serving a small amount of smoked salmon chopped up with scrambled egg. The evening meals may well be wonderful - but, the ambience is one of clenched, stilted whisperings, awkward pretension that is pure Fawlty Towers Gourmet Night. If, like me, you prefer a more convivial trattoria type restaurant with a buzz of conversation then this is probably not for you. I've decided to write this because there are so many glowing reviews about the hotel, and judging from the comments I heard from one other guest at breakfast, we are not alone in our views of the Highfield. Good for quiet couples over 50, but not so good for families with children under 14.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Barry B
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Not only the best food in the Lake District but possibly the best anywhere in the UK. My wife & I like to stay here at least once a year if we can.
A big thank you to the staff for making it very special.

Room Tip: We try to book the front 1st floor room number 17 I think overlooking the pitch & putt. A great...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel is in a wonderful location , close to the park and town but with uninterrupted views across the lake and into the hills which changes every hour. The rooms are stylish and the staff are helpful and pleasant. The food was excellent and in particular the evening dinner which was a very high standard. It was a pity more people were not in the restaurant but we were staying mid week .We would definitely stay there again as the local area offered so many opportunities and it was only a short drive to quite a few beautiful lakes and fells.

Room Tip: A room at the front of the hotel with a view is a must !
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We recently spent five nights including a significant birthday at this excellent hotel. Beautiful location, with stunning views and a very pleasant ambience at all times. Delicious food, we enjoyed dinner every night of our stay , served by a very well trained staff team. We would definitely recommend to friends and family ,and having stayed in many hotels in this area, this would now be our choice for any future visits.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple