“Yummy Food - Enjoyable Experience.”

Sweeneys Bar Restaurant
Ranked #104 of 129 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Yummy Food - Enjoyable Experience.”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were drawn into Sweeney's by the special board outside that advertised stuffed chicken breasts with chips and salad. Both of us thought the food was delicious and completely cleaned out plates. We washed our food down with draught bitters that were nice and refreshing. Good value for money. A few other diners ordered steaks and these also looked good and were served on hot sizzling plates. The restaurant was clean and tastefully furnished. The service was excellent for although the restaurant was fairly full the waitress was attentive and we were not at all rushed. We had a very pleasant evening and would definately revisit Sweeney's when we are next in Keswick.

• Visited July 2014

Cumbria
“Terrible, almost spoiled our day!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We dont live far from Keswick, it was a lovely day so we decided to go out for a meal and make the most of the sunshine. It was probably 6pm when we went to eat, the decor inside was promising but we chose to eat in the garden as it was so sunny. We both ordered roasts, with it being sunday. Mine was by far the worst, I had beef, rubbery, thick and tasteless. It takes a lot for me to say I just could not eat it at all. The yorkshire pudding (I think that was what it was supposed to be) was the size and consistency of a cup cake, but tasteless. I have never had anything like it and hope I never come across one again. a few tasteless veg, and I mean a few, and two roasties which were nothing special. It was truly terrible and mostly inedible. Hubby fared a little better, he had the chicken which was a step up from the beef. Strangely a couple were served after us and their portions were entirely different from ours. It wasnt cheap, and we dont have money to throw away. I would have complained if anyone had bothered to ask how our meal was. To be honest when we left we couldnt even find a member of staff to make any comment to. We left feeling quite angry and disappointed but decided not to let it spoil our evening. Before eating somewhere again we will look on Tripadvisor as I see we are not the only ones to be less than impressed.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank ajandk
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We ate here after being unable to get in at our first choice restaurant. We weren't sure what to expect as this was not somewhere we had read a review on. It was quite late (after 9pm) and there was only one table occupied. We needn't have worried, however, as the food and service were very good. We both had pasta which was very good and the portions were huge. We also ordered a garlic bread which was excellent. The only minor complaint was that it arrived about 5 minutes after our main meals. The wine was also very palatable. The waitress was very efficient and even though we were the only people there and the manager looked like he was doing his paperwork in the entrance and ready to close up, we were not rushed at all.

• Visited June 2014
durham
“terrible”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

service was terrible, bill was presented before we even finished our meal, only good thing about this place is the beer garden if its sunny, make a point of walking past every time I go to Keswick and promising my self never to go in or never stop there even for free.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank geordiedaveDurham
Bournemouth
“We were really pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We saw Sweeney's as we walked through Keswick High Street and thought it looked nice, although the restaurant is located above a bar. The menu was attractive, with 2 course steak meals for about £16 (£15.99 if I remember rightly, as they don't think we are bright enough to realise it's really £16). Anyway, we booked a table for that evening.

When we mentioned it to our B & B hosts, he looked surprised as he hadn't heard good reports, so we were a bit apprehensive when we went.

It was early and quiet (which we like anyway) and the waitress was very friendly and made us most welcome. We both chose the 2- course steak offer and chose sirloin steak. I ordered a soup starter and my wife an Eton Mess Dessert (which we shared).

The soup was lovely and the steaks were wonderful- both cooked as we liked them and served hot on a hot sizzling platter. We've not eaten steaks like that before and the platter kept the food hot throughout. Brilliant! The Eton Mess was also really good.

We were so impressed that we immediately booked to come back a few nights later for our last night in the area and again the service and food quality was excellent.

The drawbacks were the occasional noise from the bar below (it was World Cup season) and serving butter portions on top of jacket potato on the hot plate (which meant the butter had melted before you opened them- I got them served separately on the second occasion)! May not be everyone's choice, but we thought it was great.

Visited June 2014