We've stayed here lots of times and always found the service, food and rooms to be excellent. The hotel is in an excellent location if you don't want to be right in the centre of Keswick but want a quiet corner with lovely views and an enormous, beautifully kept garden where you can sit out and enjoy the fresh air. The hotel was the original railway hotel on the line (closed down many years ago!) between Penrith and Cockermouth. Today it is a fantastic walking and cycling facility where you can wander along a well engineered (suitable for pushchairs, wheelchairs and bicycles!), verdant path, crossing the river at several points with stunning views of the fells above. The hotel staff are more than helpful, whatever the situation. The rooms are well appointed and, certainly the ones we have been in the last few times, both budget price or superior rooms, all appear to have been recently refurbished to a high standard. All very clean and co-ordinated, there is a welcome tray with tea/coffee making facilities in the room and the bathrooms are just what you need for a wash 'n brush up after a day on the hills!
Food always has been and still definitely is a HUGE reason for staying here. It's not Michelin star, of course (thank goodness!) but it is SUPERB! The menus are well thought out, cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. Wines are reasonably priced for a hotel eg £18 for a very pleasant Australian . Buffet breakfast with a big choice of cereals, fruits, breads and cooked items will really set you up for another Wainwright! I recommend this hotel to lots of our friends. It's great value, whether you choose a standard room or you up grade to a junior suite (wow! great views from here and very spacious rooms!). We'll certainly be back before the end of the year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome awaits at this beautiful Lake District country house hotel. This elegant Victorian building stands proudly in four acres of tended gardens and walkways and enjoys views of the surrounding Lake District fells. Close by is the bustling market town of Keswick, with its eclectic mix of shops, pubs and restaurants. For the adventurous, Lake Derwentwater offers a variety of water sports with numerous walks and mountain bike trails beginning at its shores. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotels.com, Ebookers, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Keswick Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Keswick Country Hotel
- Keswick Country House Hotel
- The Keswick Country House Hotel Lake District