“I shall return.........”

The Keswick Country House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Having stayed a few times at the hotel,we jumped at the Deal Monster offer which was advertised in our local paper. I failed to request a twin room when booking and was disappointed to be told none was available when I contacted Reservations a couple of days later. We were telephoned and informed that the lift was out of order a few days before our weekend break. On arrival we were allocated a room on the third floor, which was a bit of a trek with our bags but, to be fair, we were offered help, which we declined. Our room was very tired, very small, and almost in the attic with a small window overlooking the car park. Very disappointing. The Deal Monster package said we would be offered an upgraded room but this was not available. However, the food and the staff almost made up for this. The evening meal is superb, not a huge choice but perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. Breakfast is a buffet and has everything you could possibly want. We spent some time in the lounge next to the bar, which is very comfortable. The drinks are, predictably, very expensive but on checking out, my bar bill was twice as much as I expected. When I asked the Receptionist to check this, I had been charged for drinks I had not signed for and they were removed from my bill. I have to say I could find no fault with any of the hotel staff who are friendly and totally professional - they are a credit to the hotel. When we return to the hotel, and we most certainly will return, I will book a twin room direct and hopefully end up with the perfect break.

Room Tip: First or second floor - avoid the third like the plague !
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eeny44
There are newer reviews for The Keswick Country House Hotel

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Booked at short notice for 5 days in early August, with some trepidation due to very mixed reviews here. Made sure I booked in main building rather than the old station.
Exceeded my expectations, great value especially with the Dinner/BB deal which I usually avoid.
Food was excellent. particularly evening meal. Really was decent restaurant standard.
Very professional service, son's food allergy was no problem.
Room was spacious, and good size TV (for watching Olympics)
All very clean. Good free parking in the forecourt.
Far better than many BB's that charge almost as much.
Only downside was the lift was broken.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TimR-Worcs
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Although the reception desk is small, the service was great and the double room we were in was absolutely fine. The bathroom was clean and the breakfast was lovely.
The hotel is set in the grounds of the old railway station and the gardens are lovely for relaxing on a nice summers day.
The staff were all very helpful and friendly and the location of the hotel is ideal, away from the main road but close to everything.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dayavee
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stayed with 3 girlfriends on a golfing break. The hotel is looking tired but refurbishment is currently going on in corridors and bedrooms. We had a sneaky look into a room that was being decorated while we there and it was lovely. We had standard twin rooms which were were tired but spotlessly clean. The lounge area is lovely with large comfy chairs, the bar is small and again quite tired and drinks are expensive but you expect this in a hotel. Dinner on the first two evenings was superb, an excellent choice on the menu served by excellent and highly trained staff. The second night we could not eat at our preferred time as a large group were eating so they were given priority and we therefore had to eat later than we preferred. I think the hotel should reconsider taking large groups as not only did we suffer in relation to meal times but we wanted a relaxing dinner which was not only spoiled by noise from the group but also spoiled by how rude they were to the staff. It appeared they had waited a while for their meals and one poor lady was spoken to in an appalling way by one of the gentlemen from the group infront of the entire restaurant. They all then clapped when their food was brought out which ruined our evening, it was appalling. We spoke to lady in charge after dinner and said how appalled we were that she and her staff were treated like that and suggested that perhaps the company should look at their policy in relation to large groups. It did spoil our last evening.
Breakfast is a buffet style breakfast and has everything you could wish for. Food is hot and serviice again excellent. The gardens are beautiful and well cared for. This hotel is value for money and all staff without exception are excellent. We will certainly return but will check there are no groups staying first!!

Room Tip: Upgarde to a refurbished room, the standard rooms are tired but clean,
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I stayed here while on a tour of the UK with my university from the USA. This is still my favorite place we stayed. The feel of this hotel makes you feel like you've gone back in time. The dinning is exquisite, you HAVE to try the Sticky Toffee Pudding best desert I've ever had. I can not wait to visit the Lake District again. and when I do, I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chloe G
Reviewed 6 September 2012

had fantastic time food perfect as always great location lovely friendly staff took member of my family as a treat they had a wonderful time we go to keswick country house regularly was first time for family marvellous break all round

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank margaret t
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We always enjoy our stay at the Keswick Hotel, which is why we keep returning, and it is improving all the time. The food is always excellent and this time was no exeception and the dining room service, under the supervision of Vanessa, is the best it has ever been. The staff are very efficient and pleasant and the new innovation of offering tea or coffee if you don't want a dessert is very welcome.

The lift in the hotel wasn't working but we were contacted the week before our arrival to advise us of this and to enquire if it presented a problem for us, which it didn't, but possibly could for others and I'm sure they appreciated the call.

We stayed in Room 119 again which is a quiet twin room at the rear of the hotel and is perfectly good for a couple of nights and spotlessly clean as always - though we are tempted by the refurbished rooms. Our only dislike is duvets! We much prefer a top sheet and blanket and that is the only reason I haven't given the Keswick Hotel 5 stars. This Hotel has to be the best value in Keswick.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travellingbynight
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
The Derwentwater Hotel
#12 of 17 in Keswick
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Under Skiddaw

Been to The Keswick Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!