“Good location”

The Keswick Country House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed just before christmas for one night. Great location with a ten min walk to the pubs and shops etc. it's a little dated and could do with a bit of money spending on it, the corridors smelt a little musty. However there are a lot of old features around the hotel and the room was comfortable. There was a wedding party so breakfast was a little noisy and crowded with people pushing to get food. I will go back as it is good value.

Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Stayed in one of the station rooms, I thought it was a little expensive at £110 for the night and but then I realised dinner was included and thought it may be wasn't so bad.

The room itself was warm, nicely decorated everything was spotless, extra pillows in plastic bags so you know they haven't be used, Keswick chocolates in the room, bottled water, the bathroom was spotless, I truly believe the floor in the bathroom was was clean enough to use as a plate, no dust on anything, kettle was clean, bedding spotless, no rips tears, wholes.

Curtains were really thick and shut out the light.

The restaurant for dinner was clean, menu had 5/6 choices of starter and same amount of choices of mains, there was something for everything I believe, I had the duck leg starter and I think it was perfect, skin crispy onions caramelised but not burnt, sauce was extremely more-ish. The pork main I had was cooked well, charred marking right amount of gravy simply a good tasty food.

I could images that the meal me had would have been £60 for the two of us making the room only £50 for bed and breakfast seem really good.

The only thing I could complain about really was the amount of food. There simply wasn't enough but that could be a personal thing I'm 191cm and 112kg so I eat a fair bit I could of had more.

Flavour of the food presentation was devine.

Breakfast on the other hand was the all you can eat full English buffet style and I more than made up for being hungry the night before.

Good selection of whole fruits, pastries, cereals, what looked like fresh fruit salad, fruit juices, etc. good full English selection, all help your self. I was stuffed by the end.

Really nice hotel, really really nice food, car parking seemed good. Wifi seemed hit and miss, zero wifi in the station room we were in.

Overall no really enjoyable night.

Room Tip: Station rooms seem very nice and appear to be more peaceful
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mcclegend
Reviewed 7 February 2014

As always Keswick country house hotel is great value. The staff are friendly and professional, the rooms are now clean and fresh following a refurbishment. Food is excellent with the breakfast bar offering good choice. If there is a criticism its the lounge bar prices. A real ale is offered ( Tyrell Old faithful ) but is not priced in line with the pubs in Keswick, I would suggest that if the price was comparable more guests would stay in the hotel bar and night and spend their money there. Also given that there is a brewery at the bottom of the road why dont Choice explore the possibility of them producing the Hotel its own beer which could also be sold in Patterdale & Blackpool.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Ten of us spent a long weekend at the end of January and had a very pleasant stay. The food and service can only be described as excellent. The rooms were clean and warm and the bar area and lounge were very comfortable. It is sometimes the little things that make the biggest impression. I carelessly left some walk details at the breakfast table and unfortunately they had been cleared away by the time I realised what I had done. I spoke to reception and they kindly checked with the waiting staff to see if they had been found and, as they hadn't, found the walks in question on the internet and printed them out for me. This was our third visit to the Keswick Country House and it won't be our last!

Room Tip: As it was a birthday celebration my wife treated us to a junior suite overlooking Keswick and the su...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike H
Reviewed 2 February 2014

What great value the Keswick Country House Hotel really is. This was our first visit - though we have been to the Patterdale Hotel , another in the Choice Hotels group. Ok , so the building is old - but that gives it great character and a real sense of somewhere very special in the history of Keswick. Wonderful food and friendly service - we stayed two nights on a weekend package and our group of six loved it - even though the weather could have been kinder. But it was end of Jan. The lounges are comfortable and the dining room is full of character. Our room was a standard on first floor , comfortable , clean and warm. Bathroom fine. Local facilities are good. Walk into Keswick is ten mins to Main Street with its Saturday market , bustling shops , mainly outdoor walking gear - and nice cafes. Good atmosphere. We took a walk of over a mile to Derwent Water, via the local park next to hotel. There is a public leisure centre with pool and fascilities right next to the hotel and a great adventure playground with new equipment in the park , two mins away. All in all a really good value weekend break - we'll be back ! Thanks to helpful staff. You made it memorable. - Paul and Linda Horrocks

Room Tip: Rooms at front have a good view of Keswick - but you pay more.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Our first experience of the Keswick country house and it did not disappoint, our friends are regulars and I can completely see why! On arrival the people at reception were lovely and coped well considering I think everyone decided to check in at the same time. Our room was on the third floor to the front of the hotel was all we needed, clean, good size and great tea coffee facilities. The food, omg the food was delish, as a vegetarian the selection was lovely & my husband didn't complain either maybe the only complaint is the huge amount of food, the breakfast is a grand start to the day. The hotel is in walking distance to keswick & it is just lovely. The staff at the hotel are always very pleasant & willing to help. So we are planning on returning in the not so distant future.

Room Tip: Have been told that the rooms to the back of the hotel are slightly bigger, but we didn't have a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2014

On the whole I was very impressed by this hotel. It has a great location, easy access to the Fells and to the town. The food was absolutely fantastic, although the three courses of the inclusive menu did arrive with a rather ruthless speed. I liked the pull-out tea and coffee tray in the room, especially the biscuits.
However I was disappointed with the room which was not a standard room, we paid extra for a king-size bed. We were in the station block which I would not recommend. The block was fitted out in 1998 and had not been changed much since, it is a while since I have seen non-mixer taps in a hotel room. A bit battered. The room had three windows which all contrived to look out over roves. However the real problem was that the room was not very warm and that we had no hot water for our entire stay. Having been at a spa the day we checked in, it was only on the second day when we came back from walking in the Fells that we discovered that the water was only tepid. The hotel dealt with our complaint well and 'adjusted' the bill but I wasn't able to try out the nice looking bath just when I wanted to. The manager was at a loss to explain why the hot water wasn't working and said something about having a new pump fitted. Our room was at the very end of the block so it was probably hard to keep warm at the best of times.
Although it was a quiet location we also got noise from the next room.

Room Tip: I would stick with the main building if you want a warm room and luxury circa 2014 rather than 1998
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cheshirehousewife01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
The Derwentwater Hotel
#12 of 17 in Keswick
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to The Keswick Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!