The Keswick Country House Hotel
US$323
US$313
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel(Grange-in-Borrowdale)
US$248
US$240
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Bar/Lounge
1,673 results
All reviewschoice hotelsjunior suitestation buildingrailway hotelcroquet lawnbuffet breakfastputting greenevening mealfirst classhalf boardlovely groundsvisited this hotelleisure centrerestaurant staffvenisontown centrethree courses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Part of Choice Hotels chain, central booking.
Stayed several times, always been happy with the experience.
Check in efficient, comfy seats in reception area if need to wait.
Booked double room this time as cheaper option, usually book the suite.
Room 308, nice double room, small clean en suite shower room. Adequate for cost. Unfortunately radiator wasn't working and no hot water, maintenance had tried to fix to no avail. Not a problem as we were relocated to 304. A suite overlooking the putting green, similar to previous visits, we were very pleased and appreciative as we hadn't expected to have an upgrade.
The room was very clean, large bathroom , bath with shower over. Warm and cosy, king size bed, very comfy, lovely nights sleep despite the howling winds and rain. Heavy curtains helped.
The food has always been excellent, lovely breakfast and evening meals. One of the party had ham hock terrine and it had bones, that wasn't very pleasant, otherwise excellent.
The hotel decor downstairs is tired and well worn but that's part of the charm of the hotel and the experience. The quirkiness leads to a lovely calm, friendly atmosphere and the staff are part of that. Very polite, plenty of them and always willing to help where needed.
Only a short easy walk into the town centre, great location.
Old railway line cycle track at the back of the hotel, 3 mile walk or cycle along to Threlkeld for pub stop.
We go with friends or family, it's perfect for small groups. Always a happy atmosphere with like minded folk in the bar/ lounge area.
Thank you to all the staff again, lovely short stay. See you again soon x

Room Tip: The suites are lovely but the double we had first was fine.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed just before christmas for one night. Great location with a ten min walk to the pubs and shops etc. it's a little dated and could do with a bit of money spending on it, the corridors smelt a little musty. However there are a lot of old features around the hotel and the room was comfortable. There was a wedding party so breakfast was a little noisy and crowded with people pushing to get food. I will go back as it is good value.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Stayed in one of the station rooms, I thought it was a little expensive at £110 for the night and but then I realised dinner was included and thought it may be wasn't so bad.

The room itself was warm, nicely decorated everything was spotless, extra pillows in plastic bags so you know they haven't be used, Keswick chocolates in the room, bottled water, the bathroom was spotless, I truly believe the floor in the bathroom was was clean enough to use as a plate, no dust on anything, kettle was clean, bedding spotless, no rips tears, wholes.

Curtains were really thick and shut out the light.

The restaurant for dinner was clean, menu had 5/6 choices of starter and same amount of choices of mains, there was something for everything I believe, I had the duck leg starter and I think it was perfect, skin crispy onions caramelised but not burnt, sauce was extremely more-ish. The pork main I had was cooked well, charred marking right amount of gravy simply a good tasty food.

I could images that the meal me had would have been £60 for the two of us making the room only £50 for bed and breakfast seem really good.

The only thing I could complain about really was the amount of food. There simply wasn't enough but that could be a personal thing I'm 191cm and 112kg so I eat a fair bit I could of had more.

Flavour of the food presentation was devine.

Breakfast on the other hand was the all you can eat full English buffet style and I more than made up for being hungry the night before.

Good selection of whole fruits, pastries, cereals, what looked like fresh fruit salad, fruit juices, etc. good full English selection, all help your self. I was stuffed by the end.

Really nice hotel, really really nice food, car parking seemed good. Wifi seemed hit and miss, zero wifi in the station room we were in.

Overall no really enjoyable night.

Room Tip: Station rooms seem very nice and appear to be more peaceful
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mcclegend
Reviewed 7 February 2014

As always Keswick country house hotel is great value. The staff are friendly and professional, the rooms are now clean and fresh following a refurbishment. Food is excellent with the breakfast bar offering good choice. If there is a criticism its the lounge bar prices. A real ale is offered ( Tyrell Old faithful ) but is not priced in line with the pubs in Keswick, I would suggest that if the price was comparable more guests would stay in the hotel bar and night and spend their money there. Also given that there is a brewery at the bottom of the road why dont Choice explore the possibility of them producing the Hotel its own beer which could also be sold in Patterdale & Blackpool.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Ten of us spent a long weekend at the end of January and had a very pleasant stay. The food and service can only be described as excellent. The rooms were clean and warm and the bar area and lounge were very comfortable. It is sometimes the little things that make the biggest impression. I carelessly left some walk details at the breakfast table and unfortunately they had been cleared away by the time I realised what I had done. I spoke to reception and they kindly checked with the waiting staff to see if they had been found and, as they hadn't, found the walks in question on the internet and printed them out for me. This was our third visit to the Keswick Country House and it won't be our last!

Room Tip: As it was a birthday celebration my wife treated us to a junior suite overlooking Keswick and the surrounding fells, the views were fantastic and made our stay even more memorable.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family