“An Excellent base to explore the Lake District” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hedgehog Hill

Hedgehog Hill
Ranked #77 of 177 Keswick B&B and Inns
Newquay, United Kingdom
“An Excellent base to explore the Lake District”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

I have been staying at this excellent B&B for the last 12 years, and never had the slightest reason to stay anywhere else in Keswick. The last 5 or 6 years it's been run by Keith & Shona, who always make me welcome. I walk a lot around the Lake District, either using my car or the local bus service, I have found it to be an excellent base. The rooms are clean & the beds are comfortable, the front bedrooms give a great view of Skiddaw & it's changing moods. The breakfasts are really filling & keep you going through the day. I will definitely be staying again & recommend Hedgehog Hill when visiting the Lake District.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Beverley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

Our family has visited Keswick on several occasions and this is the first time we have stayed at Hedgehog Hill. Keith and Shona made us feel very welcome. Rooms were spotlessly clean and comfortable, with plenty of storage for all clothes needed for the changeable weather in the Lakes! Breakfasts were excellent. A perfect location just a short stroll to the town centre. We thought the price was very reasonable for the excellent standard of accommodation provided. Would definitely recommend Hedgehog Hill and hope to visit again in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

Just had another excellent stay in Keswick. We are regular visitors to this lakeside gem and always stay at Hedgehog Hill. We travel a lot in England and this is our favourite B+B. It is always spotlessly clean, all facilities work perfectly, beds are comfortable, the rooms are generously proportioned and the breakfasts are superb. Keith and Shona are warm and welcoming hosts and very knowledgeable of Keswick and surrounding area, particularly as regards the surprising variety of good quality restaurants and pubs. Thanks for another great stay, Keith and Shona!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed at Hedgehog Hill during the Keswick Jazz Festival. When booking I was offered a choice of single rooms and on arrival I was pleased that the room I chose was exactly as described, and spotlessly clean with a very comfortable bed, washbasin and mirror, and enough drawers etc to pack things away. I had a TV with Freeview so I could enjoy listening to Radio 4 in the mornings. The view was good too. Hedgehog Hill guest house is very close to the town centre but in a quiet street away from the crowds so I had peaceful nights. Breakfast was cooked exactly as I like it with good coffee and tea. Thanks Keith and Shona for an excellent stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JulianChild
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

When I arrived with my parents, Keith was there to receive us. He was very helpful and assisted me by carrying my heavy suitcase up 2 flight of stairs. Would like to once again say thank you! Felt a little bad as it wasn't easy with my suitcase full of stuff I bought in my shopping trip in London. We met Shona the following morning and she can certainly serve a good, mean breakfast. She made us feel at home and connected with us through sharing of her experiences living and working in Southeast Asia, a region we're from. Regardless of rain or shine, the Hedgehog is a very inviting and comfortable place to return to. Rooms were clean and one can smell the fresh sheets. It's really staying at a place with house proud owners - feels just like home.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

When looking for value for money and a warm friendly place to stay in Keswick, look no further that the HedgeHog Hill Guest House. there was a party of six of us "hungary hikers" staying at this guest house and we all agreed that we had a splendid happy stay. The Breakfast was varied and always cooked to perfection, to your liking with out fuss and in a timely manor. Everthing was kept beautifully clean and tidy. Also the street is remarkably quiet day and night even during the very busy Jubilee weekend! This was despite it being a stone's through away from the town centre.
The only thing that perhaps crossed our minds where something could be improved was perhaps a bit of gentle background music (classical perhaps or even the radio) during breakfast, that said I was too busy and happy talking to other fellow guests to give this point (noticed by other guests) much real weight. On the whole, a magnificant job Keith and Shona, thank you for a great stay and see you next time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

After the very warm welcome, we were shown to our room which was spotless and well equiped.This was our second visit and as in the first we were not disapointed.The standards are very high and constantly being maintained.The service is excellent,breakfast was as always first class in pleasent suroundings and served with a smile and a good morning greeting.The Lakes is one of my favourite places and Hedgehog Hill is a great base to explore them from.Parking was no problem and the town centre of Keswick is within walking distance.We had a great weekend and I know that was in no small part down to our stay at HedgeHog Hill. We look forward to further visits to the Lakes and will again be staying at Hedgehog Hill.

Room Tip: We stayed on top floor which had beautiful view of surrounding hills.