Review Highlights
Rock skills intro - Lake district mountaineering

My Partner & I did the rock skills intro course in Langdale with Sam. We both had a great day, the... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Voyage60733503100
Really showed me the ropes!

Rock Skills Intro- The perfect introduction to outdoor climbing, Sam was a great instructor and was... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Adventure00873887943
Bingley, United Kingdom
via mobile

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews winter skills course church beck lake district ghyll scrambling map reading swirral edge sam's knowledge scottish winter snow and ice highly recommend to others mountain climbing professional guide fantastic guide learned how learning how learnt loads high winds
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 April 2021

I had a great day on the Helvellyn hike, guided by Sam. If you want to uncover some of the mysteries of the Lake District, such as which mountain is which, which path goes where, mountain sheep, flora, maybe push yourself the extra mile or do something that you would not normally attempt, Sam is your man.
He also tutored me in methods to tackle small climbs and scrambles, including a great technique for short people which Sam calls ‘au cheval’. Managed to get through the day without ripping my trousers and was supremely happy.
Would I hire him again? ...Yes I am!

Date of experience: April 2021
SamLDMountaineering, Owner at Lake District Mountaineering, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2021

Thanks Ros, we are happy to provide these experiences and glad you had a good day. Hope to see you again for more scrambling fun in the Lake District mountains.

Reviewed 20 April 2021

Had a great day up at Elterwater on an intro to navigation course run by Sam Marsland. A great course, really worth doing, going through all the basics of navigation, map reading, planning routes, 4Ds of navigation, using a compass etc.
As well as some theory we went from Elterwater up Dow Bank, Silver How and down Megs
Gill to Chapel Stile.
I definitely think that anyone like me, who plans to walk the fells, but doesn’t really have these skills should do this course. It was fun, informative and a great way to spend a full day with good company.
I was on the course with another lady, and I’m sure it would be just as good for couples, families etc.
I now feel much happier navigating the Lakeland fells alone. Thanks Sam 😀

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thank you Jill, we love hearing good feedback. Glad you enjoyed the course so much.

Reviewed 20 April 2021

Sam chooses to work with a small group which gave us excellent attention and patient guidance when attempting the skills he demonstrated. i.e. the aspects of the core areas: Distance Duration Description Direction and I loved them introduced with the memorable acronym 4Ds!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thanks very much Liz! We are glad you had a great time and learnt lots - see you in the fells!

Reviewed 19 April 2021

Just back from a trip to the Lakes which included one day on LDM Navigation Course with a friend. The course included several well thought-out exercises and interesting discussions on how to accurately navigate on the fells - without a GPS.

Not being complete novices, the course was tailored to our needs and we both learnt some advanced skills that should now get us home safe in the fog. And, as a bonus , we also bagged 3 Wainwrights!

Sam is not only a great guide and a knowledgeable teacher but very pleasant company too.

Date of experience: April 2021

Thank you Chris. It was great to meet you both - put those skills to good use and see you on the fells.

Reviewed 5 April 2021

What an adventure! Sam was excellent.
He guided us safely up Grey Crag to the top of High Stile, via Harrow Buttress, Chockstone Ridge, Oxford & Cambridge Direct Route.
Sam was interesting and engaging throughout the day and we came away having learnt lots too! 100% Reccomend.

Date of experience: March 2021
SamLDMountaineering, Owner at Lake District Mountaineering, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2021

That you very much! I had a great time climbing with you, always a pleasure to climb in Buttermere.