“Loved it so much we have booked to go again !”
Review of The Skiddaw Hotel

The Skiddaw Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Keswick
“Loved it so much we have booked to go again !”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This was my first visit to the Lakes and I fell in love with the place... the hotel was in a fab location with the most close-by stress free parking ever... room was beautiful and cosy with excellent views. The breakfast was probably one of the best I've ever had, beautifully cooked and presented.
I did'nt realise how dog friendly Keswick is in most of the pubs/bars restaurants and i missed my little dog terribly, felt a little guilty leaving him behind... so the only thing for it was to book again for 6 weeks time and take him with us.
Cant Wait ! :)

Room Tip: As central and stress free as you can get
1 Thank pidge7475

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed 2 nights on a Secret Escapes deal, which included one afternoon tea and scones, dinner, bed and breakfast both nights, bottled water in room and a bottle of wine to take home. The deal was 50% off the going rate and was, as such, good value, but no way was it worth double the cost!

We had paid £135 a night for a summit room, which was a very disappointing room, on the third floor and quite a trek up stairs, through awkward doors and down corridors, with not much of a view at the side of the hotel, and no character. I asked to change to a larger room and was offered an upgrade for a further £10 night, getting Room 26, a beautiful 4 poster room, overlooking the market place, with Skiddaw in the background.

We had a settee and an arm chair, and plenty of room for our belongings. The pictures on the wall were very tasteful watercolours of lakeside views. The bathroom was spacious and clean, with a bath and shower over.

There was a limited choice in the restaurant for Secret Escape customers, but the choice was good and so was the food. The restaurant staff were all friendly and helpful. Breakfast, for me, was the low point of our stay and that's why I haven't given this 5 stars. It was the worst cooked breakfast I have ever tasted, dripping with fat, and what little I was able to eat, left me with heartburn and nausea for the entire day. The scrambled eggs I ordered on the second day, were, however, delicious.

The conservatory looks out onto the marketplace - great for people watching over a drink or two!

The reception staff were lovely and deserve a special mention. I find that when you get an intitial warm welcome on arrival at a hotel, this sets the whole experience off to a good start. I would particularly like to single out Kayla (I hope I've remembered her name correctly!) who is a credit to the hotel. Thank you for your lovely warm welcome smile and manner! I also would mention a second lass if I could remember her name - she upgraded our room for us - who also has such a lovely kind manner about her. Thank you to botjh of you!

We didnt experience much noise from outside, but maybe this was because we stayed on Sunday and Monday nights, a quieter time of the week..

I'd stay again at the Skiddaw, but only with a good deal, as I feel that the hotel is grossly overpriced. (We have stayed at most of the other central hotels/pubs in Keswick, so do have a good idea of what to expect for our money)

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

we booked in for two nights Sunday and Monday,got there for 2pm and were served with afternoon tea and hot scones in the conservatory The staff were so friendly we had a quiet room at the back,first floor number 19,small but comfortable,the food was fantastic value for money, the only down side of our visit was I like to try real ales from all over the country,the hotel only had a small choice of ales so we tried other pubs around the hotel, they have a large variation of beers but they are so run down I know we are in hard times but most of them are desperate for refurbishment,I hope next time we visit this has been done because we will be back to this hotel

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Stayed at the Skiddaw whilst the beer festival was on the rooms were nice and clean, the bathroom was very large and again spotless. My only issue was the creaky floorboards outside the room which as people started going for breakfast was very annoying. The breakfast was great,good selection and freshly made to order.
The parking pass was a great idea as so many centre hotels charge over the top for parking.
As we were out for the evening we missed the hotel entertainment but on return the bar was still full so I guess it was good. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank carol h
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Wonderful area to visit. The hotel was very good, very clean and staff friendly.
the breakfasts and dinners were great, such a variety of choices.
Would most certainly go back to The Skiddaw.
All the people on the coach praised this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Jarrow
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Very Comfortable, clean and welcoming. In the centre of Keswick, so easy access to the town square and shops. Five minutes walk to the lake. Perfect centre for touring the Lakes. Restaurant serves excellent food and the bar is just fine.
Looking forward to returning.

Wallsend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We have just been to the skiddaw hotel again for a short break got to say excellent ! Great location right in centre of town, We had a lovely room on 3rd floor ! Took our granddaughter and she was very impressed . Our little dog was made welcome as well. There was a singer in the lounge on Friday night who was very good and created a good atmosphere. Great selection of songs. The staff are very friendly from reception to cleaning staff. Looking forward to returning soon. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
Inn on the Square
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale
The Borrowdale Hotel
The Borrowdale Hotel
#4 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to The Skiddaw Hotel? Share your experiences!