“TOP MARKS - YET AGAIN”
Review of The Skiddaw Hotel

The Skiddaw Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Spent 3 nights 15-18 May here. It is 3 years since I last stayed here, and 6 years since I first stayed.
The decor & furnishings are, in my opinion, superb for this standard of hotel.
The food and service are impeccable. Some of the staff were there 6 years ago - now that says something about the management and job satisfaction.
I met the manager. He had a big smile on his face every time I saw him. His staff were always cheery and helpful.
I have always been lucky to have a room towards the rear of the hotel (even if it is a hike - I don't mind), but I know there are occassional issues regarding noise from outside if staying in a front room - what do you expect from a town centre hotel on a pedestrianised area.

I attended an 'official' function in the Great Suite of the hotel one evening. The menu offered several choices for each of 4 courses. They only asked for our choices when we were seated at our tables, yet the service was quick & efficient (nice to see the Manager actually serving at table, helping and working well with his staff). I do not know how the Chef & his kitchen staff manage to do such a good job. Lovely food.

No question - I will be back whenever I wish to stay in the Kewick area

Room Tip: As long as you can deal with stairs & corridors, ask for a room not at the front. There is a li...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank pantastic1
SkiddawGM, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Pantastic1

Thank you very much for your very complimentary review. I am especially happy that you had such an enjoyable stay and hope that it might be less than 3 years until your next visit.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is a nice old hotel right in the middle of Keswick. The hotel's staff were really friendly and helpful. The decor in our room was fine, the bathroom looked like it'd been recently refurbished. Parking wasn't a problem: we were given a permit for the public car park at the rear of the hotel and we always found a space there.

Reading the other reviews, I'd say that the complaints about noise in rooms at the front are accurate and that the hotel shouldn't really attempt to say that describing the town as "bustling" is fair warning. Our room (on the 2nd floor, at the front) had secondary double glazing but the bellowing drunks on Friday and Saturday night were still audible through it. I'd brought my own earplugs which let me sleep, but if it had been warm and I'd wanted the windows open, I'd've been stuck, as there's no air conditioning in the rooms. I did think Keswick would be quieter. If the sports bar at the side is owned by the hotel, they're not helping.

The evening meal on half board was variable. We had some nice meals some nights and some poorer ones on others. After one of those, we used the "dine around" facility to eat in the Italian place down the passageway to the side of the hotel (near the infamous sports bar), which was great, so we kept coming back. The owner got so used to us coming there that he gave us free drinks on our last night, which was a nice touch.

I think next time if I were up in Keswick for walking and wanting to get started earlier, I'd stay somewhere quieter. If noise doesn't bother you, though, you get a place with character and good service.

Room Tip: Read the other tips: you will get noise at the front and at the side near the sports bar.
5  Thank Paul W

Dear Paul W

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I'm glad that you liked the room, location and especially the friendly staff. One of the best things about The Skiddaw Hotel is it's location right in the centre of Keswick with it's lovely shops, bars and market. As with most town centre's we do get people out "enjoying" themselves at night which can be noisy. To mitigate this noise we have got double and secondary glazing which works very well, if the windows are closed properly.

I do hope you stay with us again and we can allocate a room towards the back, which is generally very quiet.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed here at Easter but this was not our first time as we love this hotel. The location is ideal for car parking, bus services, town centre and for walks from the door. Our room was very clean and the toiletries and hospitality items were all of good quality and plentiful to our needs but the staff have been very obliging if ever we did ask for anything. The service and food in both the dining room and bar was good and the staff as usual all really friendly and helpful. I do not agree with any of the negative reports about this hotel on T.A. We are definitely returning.

Dear Aud_D

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us. I'm very happy to know that you had a good time and that we will get to see you again, hopefully quite soon. All of us at The Skiddaw enjoy welcoming guests but we particularly love it when our regular guests are back for another visit.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We've been to Skiddaw Hotel many times, we spent this Easter there and we always find the reception staff very friendly - polite and helpful and also the waiting on staff even when they are very busy, the food is very good and plenty of it - we always book half board.
I always find the rooms are spotless and cleaned every day. I can't find any fault with the hotel and it's good value for money saying it's only a 3* hotel plus you have free car parking.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
SkiddawGM, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Sheila R

Thank you very much for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed another lovely break in the Lakes and we all hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Old fashioned dated design looks like a dark lit pub. Very tight on biscult and refreshment in the room. Staff actually refused to give us any more biscults and hot choc for the children despite a family of 4. Staff were nice to talk, but unhelpful meeting your needs. Good location, but there are lots of other places for similar and better value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rj w
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Came up from flat Norfolk with a coach party. Speedy and friendly greeting and suitcase delivery. I actually said 'wow' as I entered my room. Very slightly too much air freshener for my liking, but not overpowering.FOOD: good on the whole; would have preferred much more vegetables, but everyone else seemed content. Portion size a little erratic; chicken breast was HUGE and I made myself a roll for later; the waiter brought me something to wrap it in. I charged all my drinks to my room, and together with my phone calls, the bill was absolutely accurate. I know it is a dog-friendly hotel, but there was no smell of dog, nor any barking. There are stairs, and long corridors, but it is an hotel after all. There were no complaints from the very elderly passengers on the coach - they used the lift. SLEEP: blissful; the room is at the rear, so there was no street noise. Temperature OK, I could have opened a window if necessary. Seven pillows and cushions is a bit excessive, but it looked wonderful. I would go again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Room 14 was very quiet; bed very comfortable; bath/shower/loo clean and spacious. The evening sun (i...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Su L

Dear Su L

Thank you for your lovely review. I am very glad that you had an enjoyable stay and I hope you will be able to visit us again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Booked via living social. 2 nights DBB very good value. Dinner was good quality,choice was limited.However excellently presented and felt very full by end of meal. Minor gripe was the courses were a bit rushed.Although we didn't ask for a rest between courses. Breakfast was very good, the full Cumbrian was one of the best "full" breakfasts I have ever had.
All staff were attentive and friendly. Central location,free car parking pass was v useful.
Would recommend this hotel and we hope to return later this year.

Room Tip: Avoid 61,62,63 if you are not too mobile.They are in the attic.Room 61 was really clean.Plenty of sp...
1  Thank Saints13

Dear Saints13

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. We always strive for the best service levels and if that means we are too quick then please just let us know (as many of us will be quite happy to slow down abit).

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope it isn't long before your next visit.