A pleasant weekend in the Lakes but the Skiddaw hotel was very dissapointing for the following reasons:
*the hotel is overpriced in terms of the service received and the facilities that are available - certainly isn't the luxury they describe on their website.
*If staying on a Saturday night you have to have the evening meal in their restaurant.
* Of the four food courses - the melon wasn't ripe, there cream of tomato soup was watery, the venison had no taste at all, and the sticky toffe pudding was lacking a key ingredient - the toffee!
* Some rooms come with free entertainment in the shape of a disco until the early hours from the hotel owned nightclub nextdoor.
* The sauna facilities weren't working.
* Parking is terrible with only staff parking and a skip in the hotel car park - but you will have fun driving round and round the public car-park looking for a space.
*The bedroom was comfortable and clean but dated with no locks on the doors, a missing television, and a trickle for a shower.
In summary the central location is good but you'd be better saving money and staying in one of the excellent B&Bs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the picturesque market square of Keswick, this hotel is the ideal base to enjoy the area and all it has to offer with stunning lakes and fells on the doorstep. Be welcomed by friendly and attentive staff and enjoy comfortable bedrooms including several family suites and feature rooms. Delicious food is served all day in the conservatory overlooking the square and the cosy lounge bar. In 31 The Square restaurant enjoy the best local ingredients freshly prepared by Head Chef and his team. There is also a quiet resident's lounge and function room. Free parking and WiFi throughout. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Skiddaw Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Skiddaw Hotel Keswick, Lake District