“Great hotel, lovely room and helpful staff!”
Review of The Skiddaw Hotel

The Skiddaw Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Keswick
Preston
“Great hotel, lovely room and helpful staff!”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Stayed here for 1 night (Sat). It was a last minute decision and one I was really pleased with. On arrival we were advised our room wasn't quite ready (we were early) but the gentleman on the desk was very friendly and took our luggage so we could go walking for the afternoon. Our Summit Room (No 51) was great value for money and really comfortable. The bed was huge and the bathroom was a little larger than you normally get in a hotel of this standard. My only complaint would be the room was hot when we walked in BUT we only checked into our room late afternoon and the sun had been shining on it, I opened the windows and within an hour it was fine! I wasn't going to complain that the sun was shining!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
JakeHunt, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2010
Dear Valued Guest

Many thanks for your very kind review. We are very proud of our hotel, and it is very gratifying to hear comments like this. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Skiddaw soon.

Jake Hunt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Booked three night stay. Given room on top floor at front of hotel-very small and unbearably hot. A lot of noise from the street and the live music from pub opposite. Asked if could be moved to different room the next day and after a frustrating conversation with someone I assume was the manager "I've slept in that room many times myself and have never had a problem with noise..." alternative room offered.
Second room excellent-spacious, airy and a vast improvement on the first. Unfortunately not possible to sleep due music from adjacent nightclub and fans on roof outside. Always a bad sign when earplugs provided in room.
Other than patronising manager all staff very pleasant and friendly. Decent breakfast and good location. However certainly wouldn't stay again as value a good night's sleep too much.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lainey7200
JakeHunt, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2010
Dear Valued Guest

Many thanks for your review, I am please that you enjoyed breakfast and found the staff friendly. However I apologise that you considered me to be patronising, this is clearly not how I wish to come across, and I sincearly apologise that you felt this way. Unfortunatly I was unable to change your room on the first night of your stay as the hotel was fully booked.

We are, unfortunatly for some ( great for others) a town centre hotel, this means that other businesses in Keswick may make noise outside our control.

As stated in a previous responce, when booking a room, ask for one of the quiet rooms, and we will make sure you get one.

I am sorry to hear you wont be staying again, but thank you for your custom.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Stayed at the Skiddaw for a weeked with my boyfriend for a romantic getaway and we have to say that it was the BEST weekend away EVER! The room was lovely, we could not have asked for a better room. The staff were very friendly and helpful(especially the reception staff) We had dinner on our first night and again it was lovely i really enjoyed the local trout that they had on the menu, it was DELICIOUS!!! When we were leaving the hotel we decided to book again for June as we enjoyed it so much!!!

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
JakeHunt, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2010
Thank you for your kind review. All the staff at The Skiddaw work very hard to ensure our guests satisfaction, and it is extremely rewarding when we receive praise such as this. Thank you for your custom & I look forward to welcoming you back to The Skiddaw in the near future.

Jake
Yorkshire
Reviewed 13 May 2010

This hotel benefits from being situated right in the heart of beautiful Keswick, a fantastic market town. Noise wasn’t a problem so don’t be put off by other reviews on here.

The hotel is absolutely fantastic as was the food and service. In fact the service was incredible with staff always going the ‘extra mile’ to ensure our stay was perfect. We stayed with our young baby and had a wonderful family holiday. We will return – this hotel is a real gem in Keswick. Go and stay!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for your very kind review. The staff at The Skiddaw do " go the extra mile" and we are rightly proud of them. Keswick is a great place to visit for families and I am delighted you will be returning, I look forward to welcoming you .

Kindest regards

Jake
Aspatria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2010

The location of the hotel is superb. Right in the middle of the town. Although we were up on the 2nd floor and experienced the noise from the Loose Box Pizzeria next door and the 'singer' on the ground floor on the Saturday night, the noise wasn't too intrusive despite the early warning signs of the complimentary ear plugs.

The room was small as was the television but immaculately clean - the room, not the TV.

The restaurant staff were friendly and attentive.

A tip here - there is parking for no more than 5 cars so check in early and get a pass for the car park at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review, it is greatly appreciated. As you point out in your review we are a town centre hotel, which can mean that some rooms have a noise problem, However if you ask when booking we have 90% of our rooms at the rear of the hotel and noise is not an issue with them.

Cleanliness at the hotel is something that we are very proud of and Janet, Our Head housekeeper ( and her assistant Gemma who is also her daughter) set very high standards.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Keswick soon.

Kindest regards

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2010

The Hotel seemed pleasent enough but my room's window was less than five feet away from some poorly covered fans from the walk in fridges. At 23.00 when I went to bed I rang reception and they switched them off, only for them to be turned on again and waking me up at 06.10. Nobody seemed to care. I will not be returning

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest.

Thank you for your review, Please accept my sincere apologies for your unsatisfactory stay.

I have taken measures to correct the problem, and hopefully no other traveller will suffer this problem.

Without negative feedback we cannot improve.

West Yorks
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Having Read previous reviews, I was a little hesitant, dont be. It is town centre, bustling and lively, which is not a bad thing.
Great service, spotlessly clean, Jennings Beer, Perfect. As far removed from the corporate mediocraty i am used to , AS A PLACE SHOULD BE.

Old Fashioned in a really good way.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

It is very kind that you have taken the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Jake Hunt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
Inn on the Square
#1 of 1 in Portinscale
The Borrowdale Hotel
The Borrowdale Hotel
#3 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to The Skiddaw Hotel? Share your experiences!