“Maybe an off day....?”

Ranked #52 of 141 Restaurants in Keswick
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 February 2014

12 of us came here on a Saturday afternoon at about 2pm and ordered food. Unfortunately it didn't go quite according to plan. We ordered in small groups and somehow even though we were the first couple that ordered and paid for their food we didn't get it. The waiter had brought everyone's food out but not ours. We asked the waiter if it was coming, he disappeared and didn't come back. While our other friends ate we went and ordered another drink while we waited and had to ask at the bar what was going on as the waiter did not come back. The bartender said sorry but they had forgotten our order and were on with it. We got our food after everyone else finished and it was ok but clearly rushed. The steak was ordered as medium but came very rare and the chips were very anaemic looking! Two others in our group also ordered steaks and they also had not been cooked to how they had asked for it. The table next to us had a similar problem, a family of 7 but only 6 got meals, the 7th had been forgotten and he got it after the rest had finished. We also were sat for an hour after the meal and no-one cleared our plates away. In the end one of our group moved the dishes to an empty table. On a positive the prices were very reasonable, the portions were big and the bartender was excellent, remembering our drinks orders after just one order which was a nice touch. We went back at nighttime and it had a good atmosphere for drinking, there was a stag do in and we stayed here for some time and if I go on anpther night round Keswick i would definitely come here again. Going off previous positive reviews maybe we just caught them on a bad day food wise...?

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We have been in here before in the past and not stayed long but this time things do seem to have changed. Always good to find that a place improves! We watched the England Scotland game so a England won maybe this made the afternoon go with a smile but I don't think it was totally down to the result of the game!

There was a good mix of locals and Lakeland visitors and although we did not eat plenty of others were so perhaps we will on our next visit.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Very friendly, and especially helpful with our toddler, but the food was disappointing. Ok if you're going primarily to drink, but the food was not a highlight.

1  Thank Henry C
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We spent NYE here. We loved the atmosphere. We went back a few times during our stay after NYE and it was equally lovely

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and I visited The Golden Lion on a busy Saturday and, although the pub was lively, we were able find a reasonably quiet table in the downstairs section. Service was quick at the bar, the staff were friendly and the beer was good. I had the Steak and Ale Pie (which I will get to in a minute) and my wife ordered a Ploughman's. She very much enjoyed her food and it did look like a good selection of cheese, salad, fresh warm bread and home made chutney. I am an out and out carnivore but has to admit, her food did look good.

I had climbed Skiddaw on the day of our visit and the weather conditions were terrible. The wind had really taken it out of me so I was well ready for hearty meal. For the price I paid (I think around £9) I was expecting an average sized, average quality meal, in fact I nearly ordered a starter feeling that the main would not hit the spot for me. What I got was honestly one of the best pub meals I have ever been served. Chunk after chunk of succulent beef dripping in thick rich ale laced gravy and all sandwiched between a top and bottom layer of perfectly backed puff pastry. There was a side of fresh cut, proper chips and I think there was some veg but genuinely cant remember because the whole plate of food barely touched the sides on the way down!

After practically inhaling the hungry hiker sized portion that was presented to me I would not have been able to manage another bite, yet strangely all I could think about was when I would next get to eat this wonderful pie again. Good job I'll be going back again soon!