“Excellent”

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Keswick
Newcastle
“Excellent”
Reviewed 9 April 2010

Small Country House hotel with charm and character. This is what I wanted which fitted the bill perfectly. Will definitely be back later in the year.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
York
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Stayed over the weekend, fabulous food, staff and lovely atmosphere. Would definitely recommend for those wanting a few quiet nights away.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 7 February 2010

Found this charming hotel on google for a pre christmas get away with my husband. We wanted somewhere we could have a relaxing time whilst fitting in a little shopping before the influx of our family guests at home. And relax we did. This hotel is so charming and quaint. It has one of the most beautiful settings I've ever seen. We stayed in one of the rooms in the older part of the hall as we had requested a traditional room with many features. I am very happy to say that even though we loved the look of the room my husband was very happy to see the new plasma tv on the wall as he hates missing out on his christmas tv! The mix of new technology with old charm was perfect!

One would expect that in the build up to christmas the staff would of been slightly overstrung and incredibly busy but we could see none of this. They were all incredibly polite and so very helpful. Considering the hotel was full we expected to have to wait at times for service but there are buzzers all around the hall and if you could not find anyone you simply pressed one and someone appeared in seconds...magic! We only had to press a buzzer twice. One lady in particular was very helpful in giving us maps for local walks suggesting ones which might suit us the best and in which local towns we might find those last minute christmas presents.

The only way to describe the food is to say I felt ashamed by my own cooking when I went home and had to cook a christmas dinner for my family. The food was beautiful and wonderfully presented. Although the price is high for dinner I say you get what you pay for and for us the quality was definately there so we were happy to pay the price. The stuffed pork loin, the sea bream and the fig and parma ham salad were my favourites but I loved all the food.The breakfast too was wonderful there was so much of it we only went out for coffee and cake in the afternoons not needing to have a full lunch the breakfast seemed to carry us through until dinner.

I would also like to mention how beautifully decorated the hotel was for christmas. So many times I have been to hotels and thought they could of put in more effort but this hotel was something else. It was like walking into a winter wonderland very traditionally decorated with the most amazing blue and gold tree which stood outside the bar encase by the staircase and was so tall you could see the angel when we came out of our room. Amazing.

This was the perfect trip for us this hotel had everything we were looking for and more and we will definately be going back. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience the Lake District at its best!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Ickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We stayed in self catering at Dale Hall Hotel in July 2009. Very poorly equipped, broken down central heating. Ancient television. No direct access to fishing as promised. Cooker /toaster unsafe bordering on dangerous. Possibly bought at car boot sales. Once lovely gardens totally overgrown, fallen trees blocking direct access to the lake. Ridiculously high dinner price at the hotel. However excellent local pub nearby, with good food at normal prices. Stay well clear of this establishment, until business upgraded.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gustav53

Travellers are raving about these Keswick hotels

London
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We had stayed in this beautifully situated Lake District hotel twice before, most recently in 2003. So my wife and I were excited to be able to bring her brother from Australia to what we thought would be a very special experience. How wrong we were! The food and service, which had on our two previous visits been of the highest quality and eminently justified the high prices of the rooms, were totally mediocre and comically inept respectively. As we were leaving we learned that the business had changed hands four years ago which explained the disastrous decline in standards. The feeling of genteel luxury which pervaded the hotel on previous occasions had been entirely removed by the new owners and the prices are now outrageous for what you get. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank smyslov
selby
Reviewed 28 August 2009

We spent a week here and the hospitality from the staff was zero - we would not stay there again - hover bag was full when asked for new given another hover same as first full - bedding not ironed - our room was at the back of the hotel facing the kitchen and was damp - if you wanted to eat at the hotel it was £42 a head and drinks were expensive too. the veiw from the hotel was good and if the weather was nice the\walks\ are great - but as for the hotel stay well away it cost us over £500 for a week and not worth the money deffinetly not recommened

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michaeln1204
London
Reviewed 27 May 2009

I'm slightly surprised, having looked at the other reviews, by the number of people who have thought this was either excellent or dreadful, since it seems to me to be neither.

Our room was perfectly clean, and to my mind charming, with exposed beams, low ceilings and bay windows. It was somewhat poorly lit, however. The bathroom was good, but bathing slightly late in the morning, the water was lukewarm. I didn't try the shower, but my companion did and felt it could have been better.

The staff were very friendly. When we arrived, the proprietress (I assume) brought us drinks on the terrace, which was lovely. However, there only appeared to be three staff in the hotel, and they were clearly struggling to keep up at breakfast.

The public rooms were a bit of rabbit warren, confusingly labelled with the wrong signs (e.g. "lounge" for the dining room). The lounge was comfortably furnished, but probably too dark for some people's tastes. I rather liked it. The dining room was perfectly functional, but had no atmosphere to speak of. The terrace and lawn were definitely the hotel's best features. The lawn, which was immaculate, ran down to Thirlmere, and had splendid rhododendra.

Dinner was good, but really, £42.50 a head is too much for very limited set menu (without vegetarian options, as far as I could tell) in Cumbria. Also, a bowl of soup is not an amuse bouche. I don't mind the absence of amuses bouches from dinner in a country hotel (surely this is a trend which has been carried too far?), but it seems an absurd pretension to put "amuse bouche" on the menu when what you mean is "soup". The wine list looked as if it had once been good, but an enormous number of the wines were unavailable. A cellar restocking is clearly in order. The wines at least were reasonably priced, possibly because the wine list hadn't been updated for years. The raspberry posset was excellent.

Breakfast, as I mentioned, was understaffed, and as a result there were a few errors. They forgot our coffee and toast, although they quickly rectrified the fault when we pointed it out. Also, they served both breakfasts without tomato, when that order only applied to one. The porridge was good, the full English merely adequate. They could be a bit more generous in their servings, particularly of orange juice. (Mind you, I'm continually surprised by hotels apparently thinking that their guests would like to drink orange juice out of thimbles.)

So in summary, we had a very pleasant stay here, but I doubt it was worth £130 a night (B&B), particularly in an area where so many cheaper options are available.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends