“lovely break”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Keswick
norton stockton
“lovely break”
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I made a mistake in not informing the proprietors of my disability until late. They could not have been more helpful or accomodating,changing our room,and looking after us, and giving helpful advice. A wonderful setting in the Central Lakes with stunning views out across Thirlmere, opposite Ravens Crag(climbing day memories) and Harrop Tarn Orienteering memories), and surrounded by the high fells on which I have spent so many happy hours.Will definately be back. I would mention the room but want to be able to book it next time!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bali
Reviewed 17 May 2010

What an amazing place. So beautiful and luxurious. The perfect romantic getaway. My girlfriend and I loved our stay here. The service was excellent and the food sublime. We will definately be returning to this hotel on our next visit to the Lake District. Thank you for a wonderful stay!!!

Cumbria
Reviewed 14 May 2010

We booked after seeing a 50% offer for a double room with breakfast for £110 and therefore assumed we would find a quality hotel. Far from it; it looked as if our room (room 2) and the other parts of the hotel that we saw hadn't received any refurbishment for several years. The room was damp and cold as was the bed which was also saggy. We were very disappointed and packed our bags and went home without even attempting to go to sleep. We asked for a refund but received a defensive response and are still waiting.

4 Thank hootsjimmie

Travellers are raving about these Keswick hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 13 April 2010

My husband and i stayed in the tack room (allegedly) self-catering cottage. On arrival we found a used plaster sticking to the side of the bath, orange mould between the tiles a dirty ill equipped kitchen and discovered on the first night that the bed was neither comfortable or long enough for either of us (my husband is 5ft 9 in). The shared laundry service promised on the booking site was actually the hotel owners doing your laundry and charging an exhorbitant amount per item, hardly useful on a walking holiday.As for towels ONE set was provided for the whole week and should you have the audacity to require a fresh set a charge of FIVE pounds is levied.
Another bizzare experience was having our heating and hot water controlled by the hotel owners from the locked boiler room adjoining our accomodation, on returning wet and cold from a day walking we had to ask them twice to put the heating on. I have never before stayed in a self catering cottage where the basic elements of being self sufficient have been deliberately withdrawn for such obvious financial gain for the owner. This cottage cost us £416 and was not worth one penny of it,in fact we left a day and a half early.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank alli52
Newcastle
Reviewed 9 April 2010

Small Country House hotel with charm and character. This is what I wanted which fitted the bill perfectly. Will definitely be back later in the year.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
York
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Stayed over the weekend, fabulous food, staff and lovely atmosphere. Would definitely recommend for those wanting a few quiet nights away.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 7 February 2010

Found this charming hotel on google for a pre christmas get away with my husband. We wanted somewhere we could have a relaxing time whilst fitting in a little shopping before the influx of our family guests at home. And relax we did. This hotel is so charming and quaint. It has one of the most beautiful settings I've ever seen. We stayed in one of the rooms in the older part of the hall as we had requested a traditional room with many features. I am very happy to say that even though we loved the look of the room my husband was very happy to see the new plasma tv on the wall as he hates missing out on his christmas tv! The mix of new technology with old charm was perfect!

One would expect that in the build up to christmas the staff would of been slightly overstrung and incredibly busy but we could see none of this. They were all incredibly polite and so very helpful. Considering the hotel was full we expected to have to wait at times for service but there are buzzers all around the hall and if you could not find anyone you simply pressed one and someone appeared in seconds...magic! We only had to press a buzzer twice. One lady in particular was very helpful in giving us maps for local walks suggesting ones which might suit us the best and in which local towns we might find those last minute christmas presents.

The only way to describe the food is to say I felt ashamed by my own cooking when I went home and had to cook a christmas dinner for my family. The food was beautiful and wonderfully presented. Although the price is high for dinner I say you get what you pay for and for us the quality was definately there so we were happy to pay the price. The stuffed pork loin, the sea bream and the fig and parma ham salad were my favourites but I loved all the food.The breakfast too was wonderful there was so much of it we only went out for coffee and cake in the afternoons not needing to have a full lunch the breakfast seemed to carry us through until dinner.

I would also like to mention how beautifully decorated the hotel was for christmas. So many times I have been to hotels and thought they could of put in more effort but this hotel was something else. It was like walking into a winter wonderland very traditionally decorated with the most amazing blue and gold tree which stood outside the bar encase by the staircase and was so tall you could see the angel when we came out of our room. Amazing.

This was the perfect trip for us this hotel had everything we were looking for and more and we will definately be going back. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience the Lake District at its best!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
The Derwentwater Hotel
Lairbeck Hotel
Lairbeck Hotel
#9 of 12 in Keswick
North Lakes Hotel & Spa

Been to Dale Head Hall? Share your experiences!