Ravensworth House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel(Under Skiddaw)
View Hotel
All reviewsspa bathsizzling stoneb bhotel ownerspoached eggshuge bedthe location is perfectbreakfast roomenjoyed our staylovely couplestayed nightstown centrelovely roomlovely breakfastfantastic viewsgreat hostsjason
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2011

First time here although a regular to Keswick. Were welcomed by Alison the owner who provided car parking pass and efficient check in and offered assistance with our luggage. Our room, Catbells was a standard double room with en suite shower and although not massive was very comfortable with great nights sleep and had been newly refurbished, not luxuriously by tastefully. Nice lamps, cushions, bed throw, wall pictures and the mints and even decaf coffee in the room were a nice touch. The star of the show was breakfast. Yes we ordered the night before but we didn't feel any pressure to do so and I don't have a problem with it at all, the selection and quality available was very impressive for such of a small place. Just try the scrambled eggs, I don't know what Jason puts into them but they are lush.
Jason was on hand to offer any advice and was always talking and helping other guests. Being a regular visitor we didn't need help but it was appreciated anyway. All in all a very pleasant stay. We will return on our next visit to Keswick and hope that it isn't too long.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2011

When we arrived at the Hotel we were greeted by a lady who turned out to be the owner - but no smile of welcome: who then stood telling us we had to order breakfast on a "post it" note for each day which I personally found a bit off putting. The room was absolutley lovely but there was a note stating that the towels were changed every third day and if we wanted clean towels earlier we had to pay £5.00 EACH DAILY! which when you shower at least twice a day is alot. The hotel had been taken over by the present owners about five years ago and they had obviousley spent a bit of money doing the place up but in the hotel business five years is a long time - light bulbs needed changing and the bath mat & towels had seen better days. All of which is a shame as Jason was lovely and breakfast (when it arrive after about 20 mins despite ordering the night before) very enjoyable. There was no lounge but there was a bar set up daily in the dinning room with an honesty box.
All of which took the edge off the weekend - I would recommend the hotel but take some spare towels if you plan on bathing more than once a day!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rozalyne
RavensworthHotel, Owner at Ravensworth House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

We both thank the reviewer for taking the time to write and post this review and I apologise firstly for the length of this response. I feel that I need to respond to the points as some are quite direct and personal. Firstly, I try and welcome everyone with a smile and a friendly hello and I try to treat everyone as I like to be treat. On this occasion the door bell rang and I duly went to the door to welcome the guest. I was met with simply the words 'where do I park', not a hello it's Mrs ... could you tell me where we park. There was no smile or niceties from the lady and certainly no friendless on her side. I kindly asked the lady to come in and asked for her name so that I could proceed with the check in as quickly as possible for her and assist where I could. I didn't and do not tell people that they must write their breakfast on a post it note. I advise that we ask if they can the night before to do this but we do not insist on this. We do this as our breakfast menu is extensive and in order for us to try and offer a good range for breakfast, we ask if our guests can order the night before. We also pay that little bit extra for our produce as we support the local farms and source our eggs, meat and milk locally, as recognised in our breakfast award from Visit Britain. It isn't a problem if any guest orders in a morning, we simply ask our guests to be patient with us if they don't order at night as we will cook freshly to order. We appreciate that some people would prefer to order at breakfast time and it is no problem at all to do this. Our breakfast menu has freshly cut grapefruit segments, freshly made fresh fruit salad, nuts and seeds, quality yogurts, prunes and also fresh fruit from the buffet area so there is plenty for someone enjoy whilst their breakfast is freshly prepared.
On both mornings I approached this lady and said politely hello and was ignored on both occasions, the same when I visited her table to ask if everything was ok with the breakfast that we had just served, like we do everyone and again I was ignored. The partner of the lady could answer me and be polite. I hope that people reading the review will appreciate that we have many hundreds of people stay with us over the course of the year and we both love meeting and talking to guests and offer them advice if they need it in order to make the most of their stay with us. Occasionally we do have people stay who do not smile and are unfriendly and do not talk to you and are sometimes quite rude, it is the way some people are and it is something in our job that we just have to accept. We do not treat them any less professionally and to be honest, my husband Jason see's it as his mission to get them to smile before the end of their stay, something that he succeeds in more times than not.

I also find the term 'the odd bit of money over the last five years' derogatory as we have invested over £60,000 over the 6 years that we have been here. All of this has gone directly into significantly enhancing our guest accommodation and not on our own accommodation (that definitely needs it!).

Our towels are laundered by a local company, Shortridge Linen and are their 'luxury' line of towes and are thick and fluffy. Any towels that arrive that are not are rejected by us and sent back. We spend extra on these towels as they are thicker and heavier so I honestly do not understand this ladies' comments. I do agree with the bath mats comment and we have recently purchased 24 heavy Egyptian cotton bath mats to replace the previous ones.

As there was no mention of our award winning flower display all over the property or luxury new 2 seater tub chair in their room or spa bath or large flat screen television with Sky television package that all cost significantly more than 'the odd bit' but it was important to comment on the fact that light bulbs needed replacing I hope again that people reading this will look at the review fairly and with an open mind. All of our light bulbs are energy efficient ones and we do not replace them until they no longer work, a policy I feel right.

Breakfast on the first morning unfortunately did take 20 minutes. The reason for this is that we had 14 people enter the dining room almost together and we simply cannot cook 14 breakfasts at the same time. In this instance, we cooked the breakfasts for people who were not having cereals/buffet selection first and then after this tried to cook breakfast in order of people who had finished with the cereals/buffet selection.

I must also add that on departing there was no goodbye from this lady but her partner settled the bill and seemed fine. When Jason asked if everything was ok he never gave any indication that there wasn't. We care passionately that our guests have a lovely time with us (as you will gather from the length of this response) and we do feel hurt when we do receive negative comments. Jason also printed off things for them to do so they could get the most out of their trip.

I do not want to sound bitter but sometimes there are some people that we really do not want back in our home due to the way that they are and sadly this lady is one of them. Simple manners do not cost anything and make such of a difference and in all cases friendliness is a two way street.

Alison Dodson
Proprietor, Ravensworth House

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed for 3 nights at Ravensworth, but were late in booking and got the ground floor room with absolutely no view (the window had been covered so it was opaque). This was entirely our own decision as they told us they only had one room left and there was no view. My friend didn´t mind, but it made me a bit claustrophobic.
Apart from that everything was great: Very close to the city centre, nice clean room, tasty breakfast and very helpful hosts.
We would definately book there again, provided we could get the top floor rooms.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Great comfortable hotels with quality beds just what you need after a day of walking. Super cooked breakfast to start the day off. Location is ideal for all activities. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: A rooeat viewsm at teh back will have gr
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Lovely to be met by Jason the owner. Although on a corner, car parking is not a problem as you are given a free pass to stay in the car park 2 minutes away.
We stayed in the room called Lords Seat on the top floor - but don't be put off, the view to the hills was lovely and it was quiet. The spa bath was very welcome after our 6hr hill walk. Our teenage kids had the twin on the ground floor- again quiet and handy for them to roll out of bed for breakfast.
The rooms both had plenty of space.
Breakfast was very tasty, and all local produce, cooked by Jason and served by Alison.
Thank you Alison and Jason for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family