“Ok for a short break”

Ranked #127 of 173 Keswick B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Ok for a short break”
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The hotel was very central, ideal location for many walks.
Only the bedroom to relax in, no lounge.
Bedrooms compfortable, but did not like the fact they had plastic sheets on the bed. It was quite warm and these sheets just made sleeping very uncompfortable in the heat. It was ok once removed. First time I have seen this and I have stayed in many hotels.
Breakfast was good, had to pre-ordered the night before.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jackieclare86
RavensworthHotel, Owner at Ravensworth House, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to write the review, we do appreciate feedback from our guests and we can only act on and improve things if we are told about them.

We do ask all our our guests if everything is ok, at least once during their stay as we really do care that our guests have an enjoyable time with us. Sadly you did not bring this to our attention during your stay, feeling that maybe by you making us your one and only contribution on Tripadvisor was a more appropriate route. I would have prefered that you would have talked to us about it as we could have replaced the sheet for you no problem, there was no need to remove it yourself, we would have been more than happy to do this to make sure you were comfortable. The plastic sheet that you refer to is a matress protector, recently purchased and fitted underneath the cotton flat sheet. I am not sure what hotels that you have stayed in but they are widespread in the hotel world and indeed something that our 'inspector' always checks to see if we have. It is there to protect the matress as we have had guests spilling drinks on the bed and unfortunately in some circumstances, wet the bed also meaning that we cannot use the matress again and until the matress is replaced, we cannot let the room again. We will monitor the situation with future guests and if we find it is not acceptable, we will replace it with a different fabric.

Although we do not have lounge (we do not advertise that we have one) our guests are more than welcome to use the dining room and bar area for extra space but given our central location we continually find that our guests prefer to go into the town and use us simply as a 'base to explore the area'.

Sadly I feel for you to score us 2/5 for both sleep quality and value is a little harsh and not thought out. Our property is 165 years old and unfortunately when the weather is kind to us, can be warm. On any occasion like this, we can offer a fan in the room but again, if you do not tell us we cannot do it. If you are cold, we can offer extra bedding and extra heating in the room, it works both ways.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone who writes a review, good, bad or indifferent, we can only improve on our service and the comfort of our guests if we know of things that could be improved.

Jason Dodson
Proprietor.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
UNITED KINGDOM
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Stayed in Walls crag lovely room very clean. Spa bath great with lights in the bath very relaxing. Gorgeous breakfasts great to choose what you would like the night before good idea. Right in the centre if keswick opposite a lovely Italian casa bella. Very friendly owners and always willing to help

• Stayed July 2011
Adelaide
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Great location right in the heart of the town, excellent room, comfortable bed, delicious breakfasts, friendly hosts and nothing was too much trouble. We were also given an upgrade upon arrival and help to find a chiropractor for my back injury so they certainly went out of their way to help us. We highly recommend this B&B and would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Tonbridge, UK
Reviewed 3 July 2011

My wife and I have just got back home after 2 nights at the Ravensworth - and we enjoyed our stay greatly. We stayed in the Derwentwater room, which has a 4 poster bed, a spa bath, sofa for watching TV and is generously sized. The room was very clean, extremely large, the bed comfortable and the spa bath with water jets was great to relax in after a day hiking up Helvelyn. The owners were really friendly and can cook a great breakfast. Some people have commented is was a little strange to be asked the night before to leave a post it note with what you'd like for breakfast, but we found it worked well and was not a problem at all.
Parking was fine - we were given a parking permit for the public car park about 2 minutes walk from the hotel. Location was great - we ate in a restaurant we could see from our bedroom window !
All in all, one of the best guest houses / hotels we have stayed in for a long time - would definetely come back again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matt W
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2011

First time here although a regular to Keswick. Were welcomed by Alison the owner who provided car parking pass and efficient check in and offered assistance with our luggage. Our room, Catbells was a standard double room with en suite shower and although not massive was very comfortable with great nights sleep and had been newly refurbished, not luxuriously by tastefully. Nice lamps, cushions, bed throw, wall pictures and the mints and even decaf coffee in the room were a nice touch. The star of the show was breakfast. Yes we ordered the night before but we didn't feel any pressure to do so and I don't have a problem with it at all, the selection and quality available was very impressive for such of a small place. Just try the scrambled eggs, I don't know what Jason puts into them but they are lush.
Jason was on hand to offer any advice and was always talking and helping other guests. Being a regular visitor we didn't need help but it was appreciated anyway. All in all a very pleasant stay. We will return on our next visit to Keswick and hope that it isn't too long.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2011

When we arrived at the Hotel we were greeted by a lady who turned out to be the owner - but no smile of welcome: who then stood telling us we had to order breakfast on a "post it" note for each day which I personally found a bit off putting. The room was absolutley lovely but there was a note stating that the towels were changed every third day and if we wanted clean towels earlier we had to pay £5.00 EACH DAILY! which when you shower at least twice a day is alot. The hotel had been taken over by the present owners about five years ago and they had obviousley spent a bit of money doing the place up but in the hotel business five years is a long time - light bulbs needed changing and the bath mat & towels had seen better days. All of which is a shame as Jason was lovely and breakfast (when it arrive after about 20 mins despite ordering the night before) very enjoyable. There was no lounge but there was a bar set up daily in the dinning room with an honesty box.
All of which took the edge off the weekend - I would recommend the hotel but take some spare towels if you plan on bathing more than once a day!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rozalyne
RavensworthHotel, Owner at Ravensworth House, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
We both thank the reviewer for taking the time to write and post this review and I apologise firstly for the length of this response. I feel that I need to respond to the points as some are quite direct and personal. Firstly, I try and welcome everyone with a smile and a friendly hello and I try to treat everyone as I like to be treat. On this occasion the door bell rang and I duly went to the door to welcome the guest. I was met with simply the words 'where do I park', not a hello it's Mrs ... could you tell me where we park. There was no smile or niceties from the lady and certainly no friendless on her side. I kindly asked the lady to come in and asked for her name so that I could proceed with the check in as quickly as possible for her and assist where I could. I didn't and do not tell people that they must write their breakfast on a post it note. I advise that we ask if they can the night before to do this but we do not insist on this. We do this as our breakfast menu is extensive and in order for us to try and offer a good range for breakfast, we ask if our guests can order the night before. We also pay that little bit extra for our produce as we support the local farms and source our eggs, meat and milk locally, as recognised in our breakfast award from Visit Britain. It isn't a problem if any guest orders in a morning, we simply ask our guests to be patient with us if they don't order at night as we will cook freshly to order. We appreciate that some people would prefer to order at breakfast time and it is no problem at all to do this. Our breakfast menu has freshly cut grapefruit segments, freshly made fresh fruit salad, nuts and seeds, quality yogurts, prunes and also fresh fruit from the buffet area so there is plenty for someone enjoy whilst their breakfast is freshly prepared.
On both mornings I approached this lady and said politely hello and was ignored on both occasions, the same when I visited her table to ask if everything was ok with the breakfast that we had just served, like we do everyone and again I was ignored. The partner of the lady could answer me and be polite. I hope that people reading the review will appreciate that we have many hundreds of people stay with us over the course of the year and we both love meeting and talking to guests and offer them advice if they need it in order to make the most of their stay with us. Occasionally we do have people stay who do not smile and are unfriendly and do not talk to you and are sometimes quite rude, it is the way some people are and it is something in our job that we just have to accept. We do not treat them any less professionally and to be honest, my husband Jason see's it as his mission to get them to smile before the end of their stay, something that he succeeds in more times than not.

I also find the term 'the odd bit of money over the last five years' derogatory as we have invested over £60,000 over the 6 years that we have been here. All of this has gone directly into significantly enhancing our guest accommodation and not on our own accommodation (that definitely needs it!).

Our towels are laundered by a local company, Shortridge Linen and are their 'luxury' line of towes and are thick and fluffy. Any towels that arrive that are not are rejected by us and sent back. We spend extra on these towels as they are thicker and heavier so I honestly do not understand this ladies' comments. I do agree with the bath mats comment and we have recently purchased 24 heavy Egyptian cotton bath mats to replace the previous ones.

As there was no mention of our award winning flower display all over the property or luxury new 2 seater tub chair in their room or spa bath or large flat screen television with Sky television package that all cost significantly more than 'the odd bit' but it was important to comment on the fact that light bulbs needed replacing I hope again that people reading this will look at the review fairly and with an open mind. All of our light bulbs are energy efficient ones and we do not replace them until they no longer work, a policy I feel right.

Breakfast on the first morning unfortunately did take 20 minutes. The reason for this is that we had 14 people enter the dining room almost together and we simply cannot cook 14 breakfasts at the same time. In this instance, we cooked the breakfasts for people who were not having cereals/buffet selection first and then after this tried to cook breakfast in order of people who had finished with the cereals/buffet selection.

I must also add that on departing there was no goodbye from this lady but her partner settled the bill and seemed fine. When Jason asked if everything was ok he never gave any indication that there wasn't. We care passionately that our guests have a lovely time with us (as you will gather from the length of this response) and we do feel hurt when we do receive negative comments. Jason also printed off things for them to do so they could get the most out of their trip.

I do not want to sound bitter but sometimes there are some people that we really do not want back in our home due to the way that they are and sadly this lady is one of them. Simple manners do not cost anything and make such of a difference and in all cases friendliness is a two way street.

Alison Dodson
Proprietor, Ravensworth House
Vejle, Denmark
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed for 3 nights at Ravensworth, but were late in booking and got the ground floor room with absolutely no view (the window had been covered so it was opaque). This was entirely our own decision as they told us they only had one room left and there was no view. My friend didn´t mind, but it made me a bit claustrophobic.
Apart from that everything was great: Very close to the city centre, nice clean room, tasty breakfast and very helpful hosts.
We would definately book there again, provided we could get the top floor rooms.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends