“Wonderful”

Catbells Lakeland Walk
Ranked #2 of 74 things to do in Keswick
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Easy walking for the family. Superb views on the way up. Gets busy I'm the school holidays so go early.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,276)

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Catbells can be reached by ferry from Keswick, or by road from either end. Our hosts recommended it as one of the best walks in the area and it is supposed to be the most popular path in the Lake District. There certainly were lots of walkers when we did it.

Don't be fooled by that though- there are some very steep and tricky parts to it. My wife (who is very small) and I do quite a bit of walking, but she wondered a couple of times if she could cope with the steepest sections with her short legs. However, with perseverance, anyone in reasonable health could probably do it- and of course there's always those who run up to show us how easy it is(n't)!

At the top, the views are spectacular and it really is worth the effort. We walked up one way and down the other, returning on the lakeside path at the bottom. Made a lovely round trip.

3  Thank Henso
Reviewed 13 July 2014

this is a very popular walk. We took the launch across the lake then followed the signs for Catbells. The first half is all up hill very steep in places and can be quiet demanding but the views are worth the climb. Once over the top it is a pleasant walk back to the launch stop and there is a shorter route if short of time

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was our first visit to the Lake district and my first climb! I had agreed to hike up a hill as long as the climb wasn't too intense and we zeroed in on the Catbells which according to the reviews was supposed to be the easiest of all the walks of the lake district. we took a ferry from Derwentwater till Hawes end and started our walk from there. (Make sure that u get in an anti-clockwise round of ferry so that hawes end is just two stops away...Its cheaper...Likewise,if u r taking a ferry back to the lake, get on a clockwise one) On the base of Catbells, I saw little children, 70-80 year olds briskly scurrying away with their tiny dogs to the top effortlessly. I saw a tiny hilltop which seemed to be steep yet nearer than we had expected and I gloated to my husband that it seemed easy enough.
What a fool I was!
Sorry to bust the myth but Catbells is NOT at all an "easy" climb. Maybe for the fitter people or for the ones who hike a lot but for novices for me, it was difficult. It is very deceptive too! Every now and then, we would see a peak and would think- "Ah finally, the summit!" but when you scramble to the top huffing a puffing, LO! there is another one smirking at you. This happened three or four times. It took us around five hours to make it to the summit (yes I did it!) and back and though the day was beautiful and the views from the top were absolutely stunning, by nightfall, our legs were killing us. If you don't workout and are not a climber, there is no easy walk in the Lake District.

5  Thank Mallika C
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Quite a steep walk with a bit of scrambling but take your time and the views from the higher levels are more than worth it. I didn't go right to the summit as there seems to be quite a bit of scrambling to get to the top and it was a very warm day.

You don't have to descend the same way as there are some grassy paths off the main path up that you can descend from.

1  Thank Sue B