“Best sandwich shop In England”

The Lakeland Sandwich Shop
Ranked #33 of 157 Restaurants in Keswick
Price range: US$1 - US$5
Cuisines: Soups, Street Food
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Being someone who has worked all over the country, living on sandwiches I have got to say that these are by far the best I have come across. There is a great selection of fillings and often a good special available to.it it is a challange to choose because they all look so nice. Each time I return I try a different filling but so far the new yorker is top of the list. You could visit 50 times and never have the same sandwich. My wife swears by the chicken and bacon commenting every time how nice the mayo is.

The fillings alone are reason enough to return but the friendly and often very bubbly staff are so helpful that it is a pleasure to visit. Since my last visit I have noticed a change if ownership and I must congratulate the new owners as they are running a fine establishment that I will continue to visit for many years to come.

1  Thank craig j

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Went back in recently as I'd heard the ownership has changed from the depressive grey old bloke who had it before, and it seems to be far better, fresh ingredients (especially the bread), some new options and the one I ordered was far more tasty. The staff in sharp contrast to my last visit were much happier in their work, obviously having happy staff are a central plank in the new management's philosophy. I just hope that they don't go down the pungent route (as other dismal unimaginative local sandwich stores have) of trying to pretend/copy top brands like Pret, that would be a very sad way for a much improved shop to go.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I have just returned from the Lakes and had sandwiches made up on two days - excellent! and good value. I was recommending this shop to my group of 25 ramblers and one of them said that she had been to the shop and noticed that some of the assistants wear gloves to prepare the food. One of them however did not and handled the mixtures with her bear hands and then took the money. In my opinion there should be separate assistants to prepare the food and take the money and those with food should wear the plastic gloves. Sorry - instant off-put. What a shame as 25 ramblers x 3 days would have been good business.

greenyjones, Owner at The Lakeland Sandwich Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

The shop is now under new ownership now called Jan's Lakeland Sandwich & Pie Shop.
Only one member of staff was wearing plastic gloves on this day. She had injured her finger and was wearing a hygienic plaster and the gloves were a secondary measure of protection.
Plastic gloves are not a health and hygiene requirement and unless they are changed after serving each customer they offer less hygiene protection than washing hands between customers and/or handling money.
We take health and hygiene seriously and all staff are taught safe handling techniques within current guidelines. We operate the system of washing hands after serving each customer including collecting the money.
If this matter had been raised while you were in the shop we would have been more than happy to explain our hygiene procedures to you and your fellow ramblers.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I always make a point of stopping off at this lovely sandwich shop whenever I am near. The fillings are lovely and there is a great choice; the prices aren't half bad either, especially for a tourist area. The staff are really nice and friendly and always tailor their service to the individual. Even my admittedly odd tastes in fillings are fulfilled with expertise. I love this place!

Reviewed 6 March 2013

Jan's lakeland sandwich shop is the ONLY place you should go for lunch when visiting Keswick, the staff are very friendly and the food is the highest quality. Wether you want just a simple sandwich, homemade soup or one of their daily specialties (made by Jan's fair hand) nothing is too much trouble. I would like to recommend the "New Yorker" for someone who enjoys a meaty feast it is a must try. Keep up the fantastic work and Thank You