“A tale of two halves” 1 of 5 bubbles

Bar Lounge and Conservatory - Skiddaw Hotel
Ranked #96 of 126 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
lincoln
“A tale of two halves”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Having ate here last year, we were keen to return. Oh what a difference a year had made. The food was below average, £11.05 for fish and chips, which frankly was disgusting, I skinny piece of indeterminate fish with a handful of chips. A pint of diet coke was £3.50 !!!! A pint of lemonade and lime £3.50 really where did they get the pricing, when a half of lager was £1.70, making alcohol cheaper then a soft drink. We order nachos fir starters that came with the main food which was literally a handful of tortilla chips with small amount of grated cheese, which wasn't even melted. Having asked for it to be returned and made properly, it came back incinerated. There are plenty of great places to eat in Keswick just avoid this one.

• Visited July 2013

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
“Poor Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We decided to have a Sunday Lunch, as the weather was cold and sporadically wet. We sat in the conservatory, which allowed us to people watch. The food was good, but whoever was in charge of drinks needs extra training. We ordered 2 drinks, which were served and then 10 minutes later were served again. Other diners on another table were served their ordered coffee, but not their wines and beers. They asked again after they had finished their food, which must have been at least half an hour later.

Visited June 2013
Strongsville, Ohio
“Pleasant food and atmosphere in a hotel in the centre of Keswick.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

I had visited Keswick several times over the years, and was trying to re-discover a pub/restaurant that had been very satisfying to my traveling companions back in 2007. I was unable to find that same pub, but my present companions and I decided to eat at this hotel instead. Upon perusing the menu outside, I noticed that they offered a lamb shank, which I had been craving for the past two weeks!
We ate in the bar/lounge, rather than in the main hotel dining room, and the food was quite good. In addition to my very large, excellent lamb shank, my companions enjoyed a marvelous fish dinner and a large, varied ploughman's platter. Prices were reasonable, considering that Keswick is a bit of a tourist magnet, being in the middle of the Lake District.
Our bartender/server, Marcus, was very friendly and helpful, even though he was very busy at the beginning of the evening. He appeared to need more help taking orders.
I would return here in the future!

• Visited June 2013
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stopped off here for dinner one night last week as the pizza place we had been aiming for was full - the prices are quite steep compared with other nearby restaurants, so we were expecting something a little special. Sadly we were rather disappointed - a smallish Greek salad for over £6 doesn't even come accompanied with a morsel of bread, and the pies & chips my parents ordered were soggy and the meat felt very low in quality. I would expect this standard of food from a motorway service cafe or similar, and at half the price.

Visited May 2013
Kendal, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointing dinner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

Called in for dinner on way to welcome the full moon at Castleriggs Stone Circle. We had enjoyed good coffees here on our last visit to Keswick so returned full of optimism for a proper meal. He was promised a real burger cooked to juicy perfection. He got a frozen and reconstituted burger well overdone with no sign of juice in sight. Chips were home cooked and tasty but he was only given a couple of sachets of life giving ketchup which barely covered two chips so he left most of his meal. My Caesar salad was lettuce, Parmesan and smoky chicken with croutons and did little to excite me but I did finish it. Our poor waiter was apologetic and embarrased about the burger saying they had made their own until recently - big mistake to abandon the homemade fare. We shall not be going back.

• Visited April 2013