“Wondered when Basil was going to appear”

Bar Lounge and Conservatory - Skiddaw Hotel
Ranked #95 of 128 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Wondered when Basil was going to appear”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Ate at the conservatory on a quiet Sunday night.

Since no staff appeared to take my order, I placed it at the
Bar. Food selection was poor and overpriced. Choice was not taxing, only a cold seafood selection and pie and mash.

After waiting on the food for an hour was astounded to be told that the order was being processed. Which neither answered the question or addressed the problem.

Had I not already paid would have left long before then.

Staff attitude stinks and frankly is beyond retraining. The only solution in my mind would be dismissal.

Looking around on the night mine did not appear to be the only problem.

1 Thank 92002

Blackpool
“High Class Bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Lovely bar area high class but comfortable, the staff were very friendly. Good choice of beers. I would certainly recommend this is worth a visit.

Visited March 2014
cumbria, england
“Very overpriced with meagre portions.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Totally overpriced, I had the steak and ale pie which had been warmed up in the microwave and was very stodgy with a handful of frozen chips! My husband had the cumberland sausage which was about the size of 2 link sausages and not remotely local, 11.50 and 11.75 respectfully. Lots of staff but the service was pretty poor, would definitely not recommend.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank elizaj74
Ramsbottom, England, United Kingdom
“Stay away”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

This hotel has a great location in the main square at Keswick and is good if you want to people watch . That is handy because the service is poor and my food was not good . Keswick was busy when we went out to eat and most restaurants we tried had waits of up to an hour for a table . We spotted an empty table and were allowed to sit there with the dirty pots from previous diner . H ad to ask three times for table to be wiped and our first order was lost so had to order again. half hour wait positioned with us when we sat down and food delivered around that time . I assume that some of their staff finish their shifts as after our food was served the next staff member we saw was the barman who took our plates . I complained about food standard and in particular the broccoli that was uncooked - pity you didn't tell me earlier when I could have done something about it was the response . As we were on holiday I did not taken it further but food and wine are overpriced - my roast pork was mass produced , veg frozen and staff attitudes lousy

• Visited September 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Best Cumbrian meat pie in the universe, and all the other dishes we sampled were excellent and very reasonably priced

Visited August 2013