“chips”

Carlisle, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“chips”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

have used this fish and chip shop for years and used to be the best in Keswick but today after buying a portion of chips I won't be returning
the portion cost £1.40 and must have sat in the fryer for the best part of the day. after a long walk and looking forward to a nice portion of chips all I got was what resembled fingers of lard.
dark brown, fat sodden and disgusting

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank greg k

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Eeney, meeney, minee, mo”
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

There's at least three fish & chip restaurants in Keswick listed in TripAdvisor, and they all seem to divide opinion - which to choose? We chose The Lakes, and as we were on holiday splashed out by sitting down in the restaurant on a midweek evening.
Attentive service quickly took our order, and our haddock and chips were fried to order. Lovely crisp batter, chunky chips, but the haddock though flaky was a little watery and perhaps not as tasty as it could be. Cups of tea to accompany - obviously! Lovely (and comfortable) last-century decor will bring back memories. Just under £15 for two.
Verdict: a competent fish & chip restaurant with good value - just what you need after a day on the hills. I would go back again.

Visited June 2013
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
“oh dear - no!”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Poor batter, overpriced - run by people who don't seem very organised. There are queues at other fish and chip shops in Kesweick - so go there and don't bother with this place.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Maureen P
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Chips Heaven!”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I know most visitors to Keswick buy their fish and chips from the Keswickian, but I can assure you The Lakes is giving them some stiff competition, the fish and chips are to die for!

We stayed in a B&B just a short distance away (Swiss Court) and every time we looked at the shop, there was a constant flow of people heading in their (most locals).

We eat in (no extra cost).

So if you fancy a chippy dinner, this is your plaice! :-)

• Visited May 2013
Southwell, United Kingdom
“Nice Chip Shop”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I’ve used all three chip shops in Keswick and in my opinion this one, at the bottom of the high street, is the best. It ticks all the boxes for me. The food is good and reasonably priced and it’s also very clean and friendly. I usually prefer to eat fish and chips outside but due to bad weather I chose to use the restaurant the last time I was there. I accidently left three pairs of new walking socks in there and didn’t realise what I’d done until the next day. I phoned the owner the following day to explain. She posted the socks back to me refusing my offer of payment. Thanks Christina.

Visited October 2012