“Average to poor food ”
Review of George Fisher Ltd

George Fisher Ltd
Ranked #2 of 21 Shopping in Keswick
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit our store in Keswick, shop online or give us call ... for outdoor, climbing, walking and camping equipment. We have huge stocks of waterproof jackets and pants, boots, ice axes, all kinds of travel accessories, maps, books, rucksacks, backpacking, trekking and mountaineering gear ... and at great prices.
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We called in for some lunch whilst visiting Keswick for the day. My wife and son had a sandwich each - the bread for both was quite (bordering on very) dry/stale. I chose the chicken and chorizo which was not at all what I expected - it was chicken and chorizo covered in cheese and then grilled/oven baked served with a side salad. Very odd combo and not one I'd chose again. The cafe was freezing as well despite it being the hottest week of the summer. Not recommended.

1  Thank miffyl
George_Fisher_Ltd, General Manager at George Fisher Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thanks for taking the time to comment on your visit to Abraham’s Café, I am sorry that it wasn't more enjoyable.

I understand from my colleagues that you mentioned the bread to them – as we use organic loaves the bread IS definitely drier than most but, that said as it wasn't to your taste AND you were disappointed in the chicken/chorizo dish, we should have offered to reduce the cost of your meal (or even not charge); we certainly should have made some form of recompense.

The temperature is a tricky one…in a building our size the air-conditioning has to work hard to keep the whole volume of air at a comfortable level, that means there are a few cooler spots which are closest to the air-con outlets. It sounds like you were sitting underneath the air-con outlet in Abrahams. If you had mentioned it whilst you were in then we would have done our best to move you to somewhere more comfortable for you.

We hope to see you again
Andy

in 19 reviews
"outdoor gear"
"great shop"
in 6 reviews
"service is second to none"
"vegetable broth"
in 26 reviews
"kit"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We always love a browse round George Fisher when we're in the Lake District. The staff are so helpful, it's really the best place to get new walking boots or high end (i.e. expedition quality) waterproof outer wear. They're knowledgeable and will take the time to advise you in an unbiased way. They have a camping shop in the basement and a ski repair facility. They stock a wide range of maps, including for popular foreign walking destinations, walking and travel books and digital maps and GPS devices. Visit Abraham's tea room fir great snacks and lunches. Shop is dog and children friendly. Abraham's (see separate Trip Advisor entry) has a great little den under the stairs to keep the children amused while you have that second coffee and slice of cake.

A firm favourite of ours and worth a visit whether you're browsing or buying pastel coloured lightweight rambling apparel or planning on climbing the north face of the Eiger!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We visited this shop to purchase a replacement pair of walking boots for our son, whose previous pair had worn out. The lady in the shop measured his feet and even took the insole out so that he could stand on it and see how much room there was in the boots for growth. If he grows out of the boots we were told to take them back to the shop and they would give us half the cost against the price of a new, larger pair - no time limit! Excellent customer service and such pleasant staff too!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

New to mountain hiking so decided to hire 'decent' boots rather than wear my cheap and cheerful ones. Had a comfy pair with special insoles, brand new high quality leather would have been over £165.00 to buy - for just £15.00 for the week. Staff could not have been more friendly, helpful and efficient.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Went to GeorgeFisher to look at GPS units. Glad I did as they provide a service second to none. They spent a long time making sure I bought the best unit for my needs not just pushing the most expensive. Ok you may be able to buy the unit a little cheaper elsewhere however the after sales is more than first rate. Three members of staff are really knowledgeable and only to willing to help explaining in detail what I was doing wrong. The have told me any problems they will help me even if it is over the phone. On the one occasion they could not help as the correct staff member was not available (sat) I received a call first thing on the Monday morning.Ihave been back to them three times now and they cannot be more helpful. Buy your unit from them!