“What a birthday!”

Keswick Canoe and Bushcraft
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We provide a range of canoeing and bushcraft activities to suit all ages, abilities and requirements - families, couples, individuals and groups are all welcome.Whether you choose a leisurely canoe session on Derwentwater, a fun-packed bushcraft day, or a week long classic canoe expedition in Scotland, we will ensure you have an incredible, unforgettable experience.For private coaching for small groups and individuals, please call us to discuss your requirements.Our aim is to deliver quality, hands-on, educational and fun outdoor experiences which give our customers a greater understanding and knowledge of our local area and the skills to enjoy the outdoor environment in a low impact way. All specialist equipment and instruction is provided, you just need to bring a sense of adventure!
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We surprised our son with a trip for the family to 'Canoe the View' on the way back from a trip to Scotland. It was a birthday treat and if I say so myself- it was the perfect choice!
Claire was extremely accommodating and was very helpful in all accounts (even helping to look for somewhere to stay!).
Jo, who took the 5 of us (children aged 6-10) out in the canoes was great fun and very patient with us! My son was presented with a birthday cake and we all had a hot drink on 'chocolate island'.... he really does think it is called chocolate island!
Very memorable day in the Lake District.... A great big thanks.

openboater2, Owner at Keswick Canoe and Bushcraft, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

What wonderful feedback, and i have passed this on to Jo accordingly! so pleased you all had such a lovely day on the water, and we do appreciate you leaving such a fantastic review. Please stay n touch and keep us posted of your news. Best wishes. Claire and the team at KCAB

All reviews
in 18 reviews
"instructor"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had a brilliant day doing bushcraft. Learnt ways of making fire, building shelters and cooking using kelly kettles. Highly recommended activity to do in the lakes. It is a must!!!!!!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a great half day out canoeing around Derwentwater . It was certainly a break for my daughter away from GCSEs. Our instructor - Bo - soon has us paddling off to islands in the lake and provided much welcome tea. You get a completely different view of the hills from a small boat in the middle of the lake - it's also very tranquil and relaxing - (apart from paddling into the wind). All in all a fine day. We all want another go! Thanks Claire and Bo.

openboater2, Manager at Keswick Canoe and Bushcraft, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Kevin, thank you so much for your comments and review. I have passed on your feedback to Bo accordingly. Please do get in touch if you're back in our neck of the woods. It would be lovely to see you all again. Best wishes. Claire

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Loved this , I had never been in an 'open boat' before although I have kayaked.
A great experience with fabulous instruction from Shaun and great backup from Claire and the team.
I will definitely be taking another trip.

Definitely book a trip with these guys, you won't regret it, 5 stars all round!

1  Thank Gary A
openboater2, Owner at Keswick Canoe and Bushcraft, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Gary - i'm so pleased you're a convert to the canoe! Thanks for your very generous comments and review. It is very much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again on your next adventure with us! best wishes. Claire

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I’m just back from a fantastic mini adventure, having attended the 1 day Introduction to Bushcraft with Keswick Canoe & Bushcraft last Sunday. I feel that I learned a great deal and this experience has really boosted my confidence, so I definitely now plan to go on to learn a bit more about bushcraft over the next few months. I was delighted we managed to make fire in various ways, including by friction using the bow and drill – my first time ever! Indeed we managed to fit in a fair amount for a one day course but all at a nice pace - just right. We started with a short (15 min) walk through Whinlatter Forest on good paths / tracks, stopping to look at some edible leaves and to discuss trees like the very useful silver birch. When we arrived at the bushcraft site, we quickly got to work constructing shelters using tarps, which would be useful if going on a canoe expedition for example. We learned a few easy knots so we could not only put them up but easily take them down again too. We then learned about different types of tinder (e.g. birch bark) and used a flint and steel to create fire. We went on to create embers and learned how embers could be transported in specially prepared burnt cotton or mushrooms, then easily blown into fire when needed. We made lentil dahl and chapattis on an open fire for lunch and heated water in Kelly kettles for the all-important campsite brew. We finished the day by sawing wood using Laplander knifes, splitting wood using bushcraft knives, making a pot stand on which to hang our pot when cooking over the fire and then – the highlight – making fire using a bow and drill. What I found very helpful was that while the materials was pre-prepared and dry, we learned what was needed to make this technique work, rather than just having a go with ideal tools. I got back on Monday and saw ‘The Island with Bear Grylls’ on the TV and at least had some insight into why the guys were finding it hard to make fire and why they eventually succeeded. So I’m going to try to find materials and work this out from scratch for myself this weekend – wish me luck! Our instructor Shaun did a fab job and it can't have been all that easy as there was just one very unfit neewby (me!) and a lovely guy who was just off a week long training with another survival school, after various other adventurous expeditions including a short wander to the South Pole! Now that's a challenge for any instructor but especially nice to note that on the way back up to the car park we both felt we'd learned many new things. I'm very glad I did it. I should also mention that, as I’m not a Rambo type and am very unfit right now, I was a bit nervous about attending. So I contacted Claire by e-mail before hand and her friendly, welcoming e-mails were very encouraging too. I was delighted the course itself lived up to and surpassed expectations. I think Keswick Canoe and Bushcraft would be a good organisation to work with if you are looking for people interested in the outdoors, canoe and bushcraft style expeditions and who take a practical approach to bushcraft skills, rather than a more military / survivalist approach. Indeed, I think they are working with Ray Meares this week. Turned 40 this year – made fire! About time! Great fun!

Tara, what wonderful wonderful comments and thank you so much for your review. I'm thrilled you got so much out of it, and i really do hope we get to see you again! very best wishes. Claire