“LUNCH great!!!”

Ranked #81 of 173 Keswick B&B and Inns
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“LUNCH great!!!”
Reviewed 11 April 2012 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch and were very happy with it. All very fresh, well presented and tasted yummy. My husband had black pudding with poached egg, I had a pork and red onion pie and our child had a burger from kids menu. Thy have lots of interesting option for lunches and small bites. Would come again. Nice service.

Stayed April 2012
Derek S, General Manager at The Kings Head Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for your comments, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal at the King's Head and hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Manchester
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stopped here for lunch and I found a hair in my sandwich and they got the other sandwich wrong - it came with dry pieces of chicken in brown bread, all very uninspiring and we asked for a refund - they do not seem surprised and happily gave us our money back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Derek S, General Manager at The Kings Head Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
We are very disappointed to hear of your unfortunate experience. I wouldn’t say that our staff aren’t surprised, they have been trained to acknowledge when it is appropriate to authorise a refund. If you wish to get in touch, we would like to offer you a voucher for a meal for two at the King’s Head or any of our other establishments. We hope you will avail of this offer and enjoy your experience at the King’s Head.

Travellers are raving about these Keswick hotels

Surrey

Where to begin!
Bed was the smallest thing I have ever slept in! If you are over 5 foot 8 - you will be uncomfortable.
Shower was terrible. It was so hot I couldn't bare it. My skin was lobster red! (And i like a hot shower!!!)
Dog next door barked ALL OF THE TIME! (This isn't the hotel's fault... but it would put me off staying there again).
The hotel is on a main road (which the pictures didnt show) - so its not the peaceful location we were hoping for.
Hottest day of the year so far and they run out of ice! Next day there is still no ice. When we asked why they hadn't gone and bought some, the barman replied "because he didn't have a car"... this is just not an excuse!
Food was average at best!
Attention to detail was missing! I would not stay there again or recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Derek S, Owner at The Kings Head Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
we were most concerned to read your comments and sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at The Kings Head.
All our beds are either a standard 4" 6' or 5" -with high quality fully sprung mattresses, and laundry supplied quality dressings - The Kings Head is a 17th century Inn and some bedrooms are smaller than others thus we cannot get 5" (6' larger than standard) in all our rooms I am assuming that the room you stayed in(I dont know who you are and you did not make your complaints to us during your stay) had a standard 4" 6' double bed. - That is of course unless you stayed in one of our two single rooms which have 3" standard hotel beds.We were sorry to hear that you were not comfortable.
All our showers are hotel standard Mira units fully thermostically adjustable - our houskeeper has not reported any of the thermostatic controls as not working so I am at a loss as to why you were unable to adjust the temperature range which goes from fully cold to hot - again I have no record of this aspect of your complaint whilst you were on the premises - did you just not understand the control ? this could have been easily rectified by a simple phone call to reception. for assistance.
The dog next door is a sheep dog(as you know we are in a rural location) kept in kennels by the farmer - again had you told us via a call to reception we could have spoken to the farmer at the time and I am sure he would have been more than willing to calm his dog - the kennels are away from the farm house.
You imply that we are falsifying our location as being on the main scenic A591 through the Lake District National Park - We positivly promote this as it has been voted the most scenic drive in the UK - it is also a mainly tourist route (the M6 taking all the heavy traffic to the West of the Lake District ) and as such the traffic is minimal during the evening and night time - I am sorry if you were unhappy with our location - most people are delighted with it and the stunning surrounding scenary.
Our ice machine was indeed faulty at the time you stayed - for this I apologise- this has since been rectified - I am positive that the barman (knowing his personality) did not mean to be rude he was just trying to explain a difficult situation.
I am suprised you found our food to be " average at best" (not the normal comment we get) we always welcome constructive critiscism as it helps to improve standards - perhaps if you are taking the time and trouble to write a review you could be more specific in your comments to allow us to address your complaint- General critiscism without any substantive facts is unhelpful and cannot be used by is to bring to the attention of staff who are serving you any true shotcomings.
I am sad to read you would not recommend us but uist be somwhat philisophical about this- as you did nopt allow us to address your comments maybe this was just not the right hotel for you?
If you wish to make yourself known to me I would be delighted to discuss your comments - maybe even invite you back to demonstrate why so many of our guests love the Kings Head and return time and time again.
Wallasey England
Reviewed 2 April 2012

my wife and I stayed at the Kings Head for four nights at the end of March.We were blessed with five days of endless sunshine,which obviously makes things seem rosy,but seriously at £35 pppn for DB&B booked through Easybreaks our stay was excellent value for money.You can't expect Ritz standards at these prices.The staff were very attentive and service was good.The food was also good,certainly not cordon bleu standard but you get what you pay for and we were more than satisfied.There is also a bar which serves a range of Jennings real ales at not too unreasonable prices.This has to be a major plus point.Our only criticism was that the general cleanliness of the place could be better.Overall we were very happy with our stay.

1 Thank John C
Derek S, Manager at The Kings Head Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the King's Head. We will certainly follow up the matter of cleanliness mentioned.
We hope to welcome you back for a second visit soon.
Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 March 2012

To call the room tiny is correct, the bathroom was in a cupboard. I couldn't walk between the end of the bed and the wall unless I went sideways.
The breakfasts were average, however the evening menu was shockingly overpriced and did not appear cooked fresh, just re-heated from chilled (Catering truck delivery each morning). The price for a main meal here is comparable to a city centre fine dining restaurant in Edinburgh where all the ingredients are cooked from fresh by a chef. There was no evidence of a chef at this hotel. The first glass of wine I received at the table was corked, the bottle had not been stoppered correctly. The second glass also came corked. I complained about it, the barman told me off for trying to tell him how to do his job. I am ashamed that our country hotels are being run by people who just want to maximise profits and apologise to our visitors from overseas who would expect better.

Room Tip: The headboard in Room 2 is not connected to the bed - avoid. High number rooms are over the bar.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for expressing your opinion regarding your stay at the King’s Head. We offer accommodation in seventeen en-suite bedrooms which are individually furnished and also differ in size. Our property is an original seventeenth century inn, which in some places has been altered slightly to include en-suite facilities for our guests. Our prices reflect these different room sizes/facilities. A strong and inaccurate statement accusing us of not preparing fresh food, is completely unacceptable. The catering truck which delivers each morning provides fresh produce and does not provide readymade meals! Our food prices are comparable with similar establishments in the area. As for the corked wine, we pride ourselves in an extensive wine list including old and new world wines and have had no other complaints regarding how it is kept. I find it hard to believe that you do not have anything positive to contribute to your review at all. Some people just cannot be pleased?
Solihull
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed in the room with the view. Yes, it was tiny but was warm, comfortable and tastefully furnished. The shower room is tiny but the shower was very good i.e. not a trickle from an electric one.
The food was excellent but, as it is obviously cooked fresh, you have to wait a while for your meal. Hot breakfasts are cooked to order too, with a good choice. We chose to pay for a 3 course evening meal on booking. Mistake, as I came back as fat as tonky's pig. The food was so good, I just could not avoid eating all the courses, although I could only manage half of their home baked treacle sponge (shame). On reflection, I would recommend not pre-booking the evening meal as you are then free to choose to dine in the restaurant or in the bar, where the same food is to be found, but where there is more choice on the menu and you are not obliged to have the 3 courses. As the hotel is rather isolated it is easier to dine there than drive elsewhere.
I would certainly stay at this hotel again although, as previous comments have suggested, the corridors and lounge area could do with some refurbishment. The bar is very, very modern and not really in keeping with the olde worlde style of the hotel but there is also a more olde worlde area to dine in as the place is huge.

Room Tip: We asked for a view down the valley and were allocated room 1. This is a tiny double, although comfo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Derek S, General Manager at The Kings Head Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for your review. It's good to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay at the King's and that the food was great. We have already started refurbishment in certain areas of the hotel. We hope to see you again soon.
Glamis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This hotel was full of character,the food was excellent as was the service. The staff were polite and always had a smile most helpful. Yes the rooms are small but we were not there to spend the day in our room. Altogether we had a nice break and would be happy to stay there again.

2 Thank alisonandles
Thank you for your review. It seems you enjoyed every aspect of the King's Head. Hope to see you again before too long!