The Kings Head Hotel
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
US$90
US$179
Lyzzick Hall Hotel(Under Skiddaw)
US$158
All reviewssteak and kidney puddingroll top bathfour posterlake districtate hereevening mealcumberland sausagelovely mealreal alekipperslog firelovely locationone night stayboth nightsenjoyable staysingle rooma lovely stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Went for a meal as we were staying at the lodge in the vale (nearby), I had the pheasant which was tough but nice! My boyfriend had the peppered duck which was also nice. The staff are foreign so there is a language barrier and I would advice the staff to employ 1 english speaking employee as one member of staff couldn't understand what butter was. other than that nice and OK value for money. (£22 each with drink and pudding).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Derek S, Owner at The Kings Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Dear Mica
Thank you for your review of the King's Head.
I'm glad that you had an enjoyable meal in the bar restaurant and that you thought it was value for money. We employ staff from various places including England and Romania. I expect you had contact with one of our trainee staff members on your visit. There is always a senior member of staff on duty to assist with any issues that might arise. I apologise if you weren't entirely satisfied with the service. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

My husband and I took advantage of the Christmas special and spent 4 nights at the hotel. We were in Room 4 with a 4 poster bed. We found that the food was of a very high quality, the room was very comfortable and clean and the staff were very polite and helpful.

We were very pleased with our stay at the Kings Head and would definitely return- especially if we could have room 4 :)

Room Tip: Room 4 has a four-poster bed over the St John's Restaurant so is quite quiet. The room is large and has en-suite bathroom with a bath and a mixer tap/shower.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Collette
Thanks for the highly complimentary review. We are delighted that you enjoyed everything about your stay and that you had a terrific festive break. We hope you come back to visit us soon.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

I have stayed with friends at the King's Head and its sister Inn, The Travellers Rest at Grasmere on very many occasions during the last ten years and returned to both of theme several times during 2012. The rooms are good and comfortable and I have always found the staff friendly and helpful. The beer is excellent and the situation of both Inns is ideal for walking. I note other comments about the size of the rooms but this is an old coaching inn so guests should not be surprised that they are rather small! They offer excellent value for money. Several rooms have been modernised at the Travellers Rest during the last year and there is work planned for the Kings Head which will enhance the 'rest areas'. Thanks to Lana, Derek and the team - best wishes for 2013, see you soon!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind review. We are really happy to hear that you continue to enjoy staying at the King's Head Inn. It is indeed set in a beautiful part of the Lakes with so many choices for walking. I am happy to let you know that we have nearly completed the bar restaurant and residents lounge refurbishment at the King's Head and it looks great. We are really excited about other future upgrades also. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 28 December 2012

I note the less than favourable recent reviews but when I have stayed here, which has been 2 or 3 times in recent months, I have no compaints.
Firstly, the room rates are always more than reasonable bearing in mind the location, and the service always first class. I guess the rooms are a little cramped but this is more than compensated by the the olde worlde feel. No complaints on evening meal and breakfast excellent.
No problem in staying in future.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your lovely review, it is much appreciated!
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

We and our friends regularly meet half way between Lincolnshire and Fife for family holidays. With a rare opportunity of a child-free weekend to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversaries we asked around for recommendations and unfortunately the King's Head at Thirlmere was decided upon. Our initial impression on arrival was of a cosy coaching inn. However, things went downhill from then on. Rooms were cold, windows draughty, beds uncomfortable, decor extremely shabby (to say the least - there were cracks in the walls with chewing gum stuck in!!), mildew on curtains, rooms serviced poorly and late in the day; trays, linen and rubbish on the landing at 5pm, the list goes on. Worst of all, on complaining the duty manager offered a 10% reduction. Initially we were over-charged (twice for a bottle of wine) and when the final bill was presented things didn't add up so we checked. The bill showed 10% off and each item was correct but mysteriously £20 was added (not itemised) onto the total. The same happened to our friends' bill. Our bill was £300 per couple, not a cheap weekend away. We were so unhappy I attempted many times to contact Mr Sweeny (the owner) to complain. Mr Sweeny was never available and never returned my calls.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel! There is a MacDonald hotel nearby and with their special deals was no more expensive!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple