“Friendly staff but not very well organised”

The Kings Head Hotel
Ranked #94 of 189 Keswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was travelling alone with my dog & emailed before booking to check whether she could come to breakfast with me, they said I could have breakfast in the bar area with the dog, other guests without dogs have breakfast in the restaurant.
When I rang to book I again checked breakfast in the bar was fine & happened often, I was assured it was. I checked in & said I wanted to arrange for breakfast in the bar, the girl on reception said a table would be set up for me in there.

Sunday morning, I come down for breakfast, go in the bar, no table set up, go to the restaurant to ask what has happened, they say no problem we'll set it up. They do set a table, but I then have to ask for a plate when they bring toast & twice had to ask for milk. However the breakfast was lovely, very well cooked & fresh. Worst point was the cleaner hoovering around us as I was eating & my dog sat cowering under the table!
Monday morning, go to the bar, no table set up, deja vu! Anyway, get my breakfast, had to ask for milk again & it was delivered in a gravy boat, which amused me highly! And yet again the cleaner appeared with her hoover.

I'm very disappointed in this as I felt as if I was a nuisance, despite checking in advance that this was ok. I have stayed in many other places with the dog & not had a problem & I have never had anyone clean around me before! As the request for breakfast in the bar was booked weeks in advance I feel the cleaner should have cleaned in there before breakfast was due to be served.

Also, small point but the cleaner should have spent less time hoovering while guests were eating & more time getting rid of the cobwebs as there were quite a few in my room.

The staff were friendly & the food was lovely & I'm sure that if I was eating in the restaurant I wouldn't have had a problem, but I wasn't the only guest staying with a dog & the same thing happened to them.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank 1womanandherdog
There are newer reviews for The Kings Head Hotel

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Excellent value for money. We have stayed here on our trips to the Lakes 4 times now and have never been disappointed. Adam and the crew are very good, friendly attentive and always cheery, the food has never been disappointing and is always good value for money, and you get plenty of it. The rooms are always comfortable and well maintained, if I had one criticism it would be rooms 1&2 have laminate floor instead of carpet which I find noisy and cold.

Room Tip: The rooms toward the middle of the Hotel would be a bit quieter, such as 5 - 20.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here a couple of times now on trips up to Lakes, most recently just before Easter. I was travelling on my own this time and arriving late. Checking in was quick and easy and the room was small single but en-suite, comfortable and very clean. Everything expected was in good working order. Bar/ pub downstairs has been refurbished and a bit generic but good beers!
Menu looked good but I had eaten already so can't really comment on that. Breakfast though was very efficient with good staff, quick service and food that was very nice. Good selection as well for a breakfast menu.
All in all a bargain for the single room price I paid. If I need to stay in the area again I would definitely look here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stopped here through necessity but decided to stay and eat rather than travelling further. It was a great decision. The staff were friendly and the food was presented well with a great choice for all tastes. We were a little apprehensive and had vowed not to eat there due to the reviews we read on here but, boy were we glad we did... Wild Mushroom pasta and the Poached Salmon were wonderful with tasty starters too. Would definately call in there again, this time planned, if we were in the area! A+

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband, daughter 4 years and dog 13 years in a family room. The hotel is basic but room was clean and a good size. Excellent location for walking. We climbed helvellyn from the front door. Food was ok and after a long days walking was better than cooking!! The staff were friendly and my daughter entertained the residents with her singing!! Lucky them. We had perfect weather but sorry it can't guarantee that in the lakes!! Would def recommend if you want clean, friendly and location.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

On Family Holiday we were Looking forward to a lovley meal at the kings head which was recommended by a leaflet.
On arrival to the kings head the location was beautiful and looked very appealing.
On the other hand the staff were very incompetant which delayed ordering drinks. On review of th. Menu the food sounded really yummy and satisfying. But on delivery of food to the table it was not satisfactory. The ham was dryed out with no flavour, the salmon was nice but with very little sauce and the Burger was over cooked. Very upset with the quality of food.
Unfortunatly We wont be returning.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank kimdale91
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stopped by here for lunch on our drive back to Yorkshire. The building itself has a lot of character and charm, and the inside has a good atmosphere and a lot of seating. There is a good choice on the menu.
I had a mozzarella and basil toasted baguette which was very nice (perhaps could have done with a little spread of pesto inside to help enhance the flavour) and my partner had a gorgeous pasta dish. We both had sticky toffee pudding for dessert which was outstanding. The staff were attentive and competent and overall it was a very good experience so thank you to the staff and I look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple