“Cosy”

Ranked #85 of 173 Keswick B&B and Inns
Preston, United Kingdom
“Cosy”
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We really had a great time and enjoyed our stay in this hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. After our walks around we sat in the lounge and were enjoying the beautiful fire which creates a cosy atmosphere in the whole hotel. For dinner we had a brilliant risotto, that was the best we had ever had. Thanks!!! We would love to came back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The hotel is in a very beautiful location and probably a dream for walker, fairly quiet despite being next to the road. The building is full of charm and character, however we felt the decor was in need of update. Some of the furniture and fittings have been well used and are showing their age. We stayed in a very small room above reception which was cramped with too much furniture. The floor sloped considerably and the ceiling is so low I found it extremely difficult to sleep being claustrophobic. The shower room was very small too; the shower itself had black mould over most of the sealant. The general cleanliness of the bedroom was not great. We were also disappointed that a similar menu was served in the three eating area, and the menu is less thank exiting. Having said that the breakfast as a good choice and was of good quality. All together the experience was underwhelming and not good value for money. I was expecting for more for £90 per night.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
glossop
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I booked this hotel as a last minute getaway on a Friday evening for Sat & Sun. The person I spoke to on the phone was very helpful & offered me a discount on a double room for two nights at £150. When I came to pay the bill it was for £160.
Avoid Room 5 which I think was originally a large cupboard.
I couldn't stand up in the shower (complete with black mould) & the first time I turned the hot tap on it fell apart & couldn't be turned off. It was finally turned off by one of the staff using a kitchen knife but we subsequently had no hot water in the 'bathroom' for the duration of our stay.
Due to some seriously wonky floorboards at the top of the stairs we experienced the initially amusing effect of our bed bouncing up & down everytime somebody walked past the room.
The novelty soon wore off.
On the plus side the staff were helpful & friendly apart from the surly receptionist who smirked when I complained about the bouncing bed & offered no apology or compensation for our lack of sleep (or hot water). There seemed to be no-one in particular in charge, reception being manned by whoever was in earshot at the time.
I won't mention the bizarre style clash of the bar as it's already been extensively covered by other guests on this site....
We ordered chicken, chips & GRAVY in a basket from the bar menu, more out of curiosity than anything.
It was actually served in a bowl in a basket, which was a bit of a let down.
The lounge & restaurant were quite charming but it's a shame that a building of character has been spoiled by insensitive refurbishment.
All in all a bit of a let down, two nights were enough & despite the reduced rate we will not be returning.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Staff very helpfull and polite
We were in room 9,size was about average for this type of inn but shower room very small.
Room could do with a feather dustering around ceiling, and edges and corners of carpets need a good vac.
There are 3 eating areas,we chose the restaurant as it looked so inviting. My food ( a steak) was very good as was starter and sweet,my wife chose the lamb which was very tough, she said it was the worst lamb chop she had ever attempted to eat, i think that on this occassion she was just unlucky.
My wife and i try lots of different hotels on a fairly regular basis,2 weeks ago we stayed at the Knockinaam Lodge (in Churchills room, read about it) in South West Scotland.This is a Michellin Star job, very nice but at £320 per night DB&B not cheap, the Kings Head was £70 B&B , it is nowhere near as luxurious as Knockinaam, but keeping everything in perspective, i thought it was exellent value for money and will return.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Newcastle UK
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Kings Head - Thirlspot
We were going to camp for the weekend, but as the lakes like to throw at you the weather was a bit damp on the friday, so I got a last minute booking at the Kings Head. I was able to select which room and was pleased with it and we could take out dog. The bar area had been refurbished to a high standard, the food was excellent and served very quickly. The staff were outstanding and they seemed to work long shifts. The breakfast was just as good. The only downside was the residents lounge was very out of place, pinky coloured walls and old furniture and strange piped music in the resteraunt. We did camp on the second night but ate in the pub. The Beer garden is delightful and full of lovely flowers. We were able to have breakfast in the resteraunt on Sunday, which was good after a good nights sleep in our tent and it was reasonable at £7.95. We would definately return. Please note if you want to get the local Stagecoach 555 bus outside it is VERY expensive as we were going to use it to goto Grasmere (two stops) and they wanted £15.70 return!! Is this the most expensive journey in the country?? We refused to pay and took the car instead. No wonder the buses have hardly any locals or UK pepole on them.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Huddersfield
Reviewed 3 August 2010

My partner and I travelled to the lakes for a one-night stay, which we then extended to 2 but needed to find a last minute place to stay. We visited The Swan Inn where the staff were polite and the decor was lovely to find unfortunately they had no rooms available. However, they called ahead to their sister hotel the Kings Head to arrange us a room for the night. My first impressions of the Kings Head was that although it was on a busy road side, it looked like a nice rustic spot with dark wooden beams. But then I realised that first appearances can be deceptive...

After checking in and being put in room 14, we made our way upstairs and took a left. Then the fun started. Turning the key and opening the door we were presented with barely enough room to swing a cat. There was just enough room to walk between the wall and the foot of the bed to the other side of the room where there was a small wardrobe in the corner, and a chair in front it, which when my partner sat on it had no bottom and so he went straight through it. In hindsight, I wish I had taken some photos because if you think that was bad, just wait 'til you hear about the bathroom. It was approx. a metre wide comprising of toilet, sink and shower. At 5'6" I had trouble showering due to its tiny size but to be honest, you had to laugh, because when your 6'4" boyfriend is trying to wash in a shower, built into a sloping roof and not only does he have to stoop to nearly half his size but his face is merely inches away from the facing wall, it was like washing in a shower built for the borrowers. To dry my hair I had to sit on the bed to use the dressing table, as there was not enough room to pull the stool out underneath it. Also, when we went to use the phone in our room because our mobiles lost all signal. When we booked the room all we were bothered about was having somewhere to stay for one night and I definitely believe that one night is all you could realistically manage due to the shortage of space. However, I also think that the price you pay should reflect the service you receive in any establishment and it is not so much the room that prompted me to write this negative review, but instead is due to the events that followed both that evening and the following morning.

When we went down for dinner that evening we ate in the bar area. This part of the building looks to have been newly renovated and is much more modern and a bit out of character with the rest of the hotel, but was quite nice and airy to sit in. While we waited at the bar to be served, I noticed one of the waitresses on a number of occasions rushing around at an unnecessary pace with plates of food. She would stop abruptly behind other patrons and rather than saying “Excuse me,” she simply stood impatiently huffing and puffing, until they suddenly noticed and apologetically jumped out of the way, to which she simply rushed on through without any acknowledgement. It was quite busy and she didn’t appear to speak much English, but without having to say a word her negative attitude was evident immediately. We ordered our food and drinks at the bar, deciding to charge them to the room for which we had to sign receipts each time. Coming to the food, in all honesty it was actually very good, we both had mushroom soup to start and steak which was cooked to perfection, like cutting through butter.

The next morning was the final straw for our stay at the Kings Head. We went down for breakfast and were seated at a table by the waitress who was the same lady who had checked us in and taken our meal order the previous night. She was foreign but spoke very good English and although seemed to be very busy, was courteous and friendly bringing us some toast and coffee and tea. It seemed she was multitasking that morning as she was serving breakfast and then got called off to check some people out of their room, leaving us to be waited on by the aforementioned impatient waitress from the night before. After waiting a while to have our order taken, I asked if we could order some food to which she replied “Yes”, coming to take our order and exchanging pleasantries, to which it seemed that her attitude from the previous night had disappeared. The breakfast wasn’t as good as the food the night before, it was a bit dry and the poached eggs were hard, but it wasn’t a major deal. When she’d brought our food I asked if we could please have some more toast to which again she replied, “Yes” and left the table. However, upon my partner going to get some orange juice from the buffet table he walked past the two waitresses and heard them speaking in a foreign language and then the one who had taken our breakfast order went on to mimic me in a very ridiculing manner saying “Can we have some more toast?” before again speaking in the foreign language. When he came back to the table he was fuious and told me what he had heard. It left us angry and puzzled really, as there was absolutely no need for such mockery. I like to think that my partner and myself are very conscientious of the way in which we conduct ourselves and have always been brought up to treat others as we would want them to treat us, with both respect and politeness. Before leaving the table, I saw the said waitress on her way back to the kitchen carrying a toast rack. Dropping some toast on the floor and noticing what she had done, she walked back into the kitchen, leaving it on the floor, even after returning from the kitchen and promptly stepping over it. All in all it was obvious that her attitude to guests and service was not only rude, but sloppy.

When we came to check out, it was again the lady who had checked us in, but also the same lady playing witness to the other waitress poking fun at myself. Upon paying for our stay, the lady passed over the bill and just as my partner went to pay, we noticed that we had had a £14.95 bottle of Merlot added to the top our bill, which we definitely did not order, nor drink. When we pointed out the mistake to her, her manner changed from one of politeness to rudeness and she simply waved off the matter saying “It happens”, before removing it from our bill. To me, things like that do not “just happen” and the fact that she dismissed the error so quickly without even consulting the bills, which we had signed for the night before made me suspicious, as to whether it had in fact been added deliberately to our bill, in the hope that we wouldn’t notice.

After this, we decided that to put in a complaint to this lady would fall on deaf ears and since there was no one else to consult at the time, I decided to write to the hotel when we arrived home to express my disappointment at the conduct of some of their staff. Its not the sort of thing I would do unless I thought it was necessary because I certainly would not want anyone to be treated like that, but I thought by writing to the manager I could enlighten him to the problems we had as I would have thought they would not have tolerated such behaviour from their staff. However, the manager clearly did not agree and 4 weeks later I have still to hear a reply, which I have no doubt I will not receive.

I apologise for the length of the review but I hope that it might help fellow travellers to decide whether this might be the type of place you might want to stay. Reading some of the other reviews for the Kings Head it seems like we are talking about different hotels, as they like the staff but hate the food, but my experience was the other way round. In regards to the price, it was supposed to be £60 - £65 per person, per night, which in my opinion is an absolute extortion! However, because it was last minute booking, we paid £45 per person per night, which in hindsight was still a rip off for a tiny box room complete with shoebox shower, paying for things you didn’t even have and stroppy staff. I certainly won’t be going back in hurry!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sislee

Travellers are raving about these Keswick hotels

Wales
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stayed here with extended family for a 90th Birthday weekend.
The staff are very friendly , work hard and all is very well managed.
It is a cosy Inn with very good quality food (compared to many places in and around Keswick). Good choice of bar or other dining areas.
Bedrooms comfortable .