“A perfect stay!”
Review of Greystoke House

Greystoke House
Ranked #121 of 196 Keswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We booked a couple of nights at Greystoke House on the recommendation of a friend as we wanted a convenient place near to Keswick centre but also close enough to Latrigg/Skiddaw that we wouldn't need to drive to a start point for a walk, and for both of those requirements it was ideal!
Mark and Helen, the owners, were both brilliant; very friendly and helpful, with both going to some length to accommodate the fact that we'd asked about vegan breakfast options. More than enough food to energise for a few hours' walk in the snowy fells above Keswick!
The room itself was ideal; spacious, clean and bright with a nice comfy bed.
We'll definitely be back next time we need a Lake District base.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

We booked last minute and arrived quite late. This was no problem and they were very helpful.

Location is ideal for everything walking restaurants and pubs. Would definitely go back.

Breakfast was lovely and rooms clean and spacious.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Laura S
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We just spent 3 nights here and we can not fault it a great little place,very clean excellent breakfast and dog friendly! We just wish we had stayed longer,an excellent location just 5 mins walk from the shops & restaurants and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I am currently on my 4 th stay here, with my husband. Me and my husband have always found our hosts to be very welcoming. The rooms are clean and functional and the breakfast is absolutely excellent. Me and my husband, really look forward too our 4 night stay annual visits. The guesthouse is only a short walk away from the town centre and lake Derwentwater. Can't wait to stay again next year. Thankyou so much too mark and Helen, for being such welcoming hosts.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Greystoke House is everything I'd look for in a B&B. I've stayed there during several walking trips and it's a 5-minute walk from the middle of Keswick and all the lovely restaurants and pubs there, and a 5-minute walk from the Fitz Park bus stop (which links it to Penrith railway station via the hourly X4/X5 bus).

The single rooms are a little small and are not en suite, but for £30 a night (out of season) it's amazing value. The place is spotless, the breakfast is excellent, nice cafetiere-coffee (and they offered to fill a flask with fresh coffee) and the proprietors are friendly. What possibly marks Greystoke House out in my mind is a lot of attention to little details that not all B&Bs or even hotels provide for (a nice selection of drinks, a choccie biccie, alarm clock, box of tissues, good local information, plenty of plug sockets, free wifi); and if the two single rooms are small, they've used the space well to provide shelves and clothes-hanging space and there's a rack on the radiator to maximise drying space (they also have a drying room, and they're dog-friendly).

Incidentally, they do now accept credit/debit cards. I'd highly recommend Greystoke House.

Room Tip: Room 6 is the larger of the two single rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Spencer F
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I am not one to ever complain about places I have stayed but after coming away so upset from a trip that was meant to cheer up my father and I on the passing of my mother six weeks ago I feel that I must. We booked to stay three nights at Greystoke House on the strength of the reviews I read here on trip advisor. Myself and my parents have visited Keswick on a number of occasions as it was a favourite destination of my mums and it is true that Greystoke House is in a perfect location; very close to Keswick town centre and the beginning of many beautiful walks. However as soon as we set foot in the B&B we recieved quite an unfriendly welcome with the owner of the B&B offering no real introduction. I explained to him the reason of our visit and he became much nicer, as he was throughout our stay. We booked two double rooms and I immediately swapped rooms with my dad as his room was very dark, with a view on to an enclosed dirty wall and a bathroom that is no bigger than a cupboard. The other room was nicer being a lot brighter with a better view onto the road outside. The bathroom again though was beyond small. On the last day of our stay I noticed the towel rail had been taken down from the bathroom in my room when we had been out walking and i noted it to my partner as we thought it was strange. The morning we were leaving I went to thank the owners wife Helen for the breakfast and query whether we could pay by card. She completely ignored my thanks and replyed with 'Your in room 1 arn't you? What happened to the towel rail in the bathroom?' I was so shocked and upset. I told her that I had no idea what had happened to it, I hadnt even noticed there was a thing wrong with it. I had used it to hang my lightweight pyjamas on when there were no towels on it and because there is no room in the bathroom to put anything. She replyed to me that it looked as if SOMEONE had been hanging off it. To be accused of something so out of my nature has truly upset me considering that Helen could not even bring herself to speak to any of us throughout our stay. We then had to walk in the rain to get cash out as they could not accept card payment from us; even though they accepted it from the customer paying immediately before us. My dad left this B&B distraught at the thought that this couple did not trust us and made us feel as if we had done something wrong. His view on the trip now is that it was ruined. I wish that I could have written nicer things about Greystoke House but ultimately I am baffled by the good reviews this place has got.

Room Tip: Definately not room 1 and the towel rail for swinging off!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Katie C
greyhosts, Owner at Greystoke House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

I am really sorry that you felt you had such a bad stay with us, it was never my intention to upset you or your father and as I explained to you that morning, I was at work so had not been there when the towel rail was taken off the wall.
I was at work throughout your stay which was why we had not met prior to that morning, and I also apologise for the credit card machine being out of order as I had not ordered receipt rolls...
When you asked me about paying we had a chat and you went up the stairs it was only on your return that I said about the towel rail, but merely as a question if you knew how it got damaged? I did not directly accuse you and apologised at the time if I had offended you.
I offered to show you the damaged towel rail, whilst you were shouting at me but you said no.
What more could I have done, it is rather unfair that you have used this forum to be quite so unpleasant when as you said yourself before the incident you had had a really good stay with us.

Once again I can only apologise for what you feel has been such an awful situation for you.
We are just a small business and we try our best to offer comfortable, clean accomodation that suits most people. You were offered a choice of rooms, if you were that unhappy why did you not say at the start of your stay and you could have had a different room...
It would never be our intention to offend or upset guests, why would it be? This is our livelihood after all.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

Excellent value for money. The breakfasts are brilliant-choice, quality, portion size -couldnt be better. The owners are charming, quiet and helpful. The rooms are small but perfectly functional, clean and well organised. The B&B is ideally located-5mins from the town center, the park and the lake, but for me the icing on the cake is that dogs are made just as welcome as the owners-even having treats on the tea tray in the room. Will definitely be returning! Perfect for dog lovers-even if you don't have one of your own- there are no doggy smells or tatty carpets in sight and lots of doggy cuddles to be had!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple