Tarn Hows Guest House
US$215
US$188
US$188
US$86
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel(Grange-in-Borrowdale)
US$237
US$230
Lodore Falls Hotel(Borrowdale)
US$274
US$242
  • Restaurant
All reviewstown centreparking round the backprivate parkingfull englishoff road parkingwelcoming ownerswithin easy walking distancenew ownersexcellent breakfastquality beddinglovely guesthousequiet locationwarm welcomewalking weekendbase to explorenight staybed was very comfortable
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We had a short notice out of season break in the Lakes and landed and our feet with Tarn How. Charming hosts, Gillian and Trevor run a very comfortable B&B in a quiet side street five minutes walk from the Town Centre.

We had a spotless and very well equipped double room. En-suite, comfy bed and modern flat screen TV. Excellent breakfast choice from ultra heathy to the full monty.

Our hosts were very knowledgeable about the Lakes and made some excellent suggestions for walks and rovided a copy of the routes.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Stayed for three nights on a fell walking holiday with my Son (23) we had the single rooms 9 & 11. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome and as we were 'dripping wet' Trevor took our boots, cags overtrousers to the 'drying room' . They were returned to us next day DRY !!! and folded (you can tell that Trevor and Gillian are keen fellwalkers and have been doused on the fells!)
The establishment is very clean and very well decorated. The quality of the furnishings and linen is excellent and as for the breakfast is outstanding. I have stayed in'starred' hotels in Keswick where the quality is not as good.
The thing that left the biggest impression though is that Gillian and Trevor treated us as 'guests' and not just 'customers', nothing was too much trouble and I have several conversations with them about the fells, walks etc.

I have no reservation in recommending this excellent guest house to anyone who wants quality with great hosts at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Tarn Hows came up via a late booking site as I tried to find somewhere to stay in the heart of the English lake district. Although I'm from the lakes I wanted to stay further up in the north of the county rather than travel up from the south each day to take photographs of the autumn colours. Tarn Hows is a lovely slate building situated amongst lots of other very similar properties. This makes for a rather busy section of Keswick as everyone vies for a parking space - not so here as there is lots of private parking at the rear of the property. My room was on the small side but comfortable and warm. My only gripe was there was no bath as this would have been nice to sink into after a day trekking over the fells in the (very) wet weather. Breakfast was a delight. I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years now and don't accept anything less than decent, well thought out vegetarian food that's at least on a par with what my meat-eating counterparts are getting. I wasn't let down. Freshly made, piping hot and lots of it. I honestly didn't need to eat again until dinner time. Both mornings I was met with this huge plate of well prepared, tasty food that was a delight to eat. Great stay and I will be using Tarn Hows again as my preferred accommodation for both myself and participants when I take my winter workshops.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2010

tarn haws is a lovely place to stay when visiting the lakes, on arrival we were greeted by the owners who were very friendly, showed us our rooms which were immaculate, very very clean, decor was lovely ,like home from home, good sized room, nice veiw from our window, most of all there was a private parking area at the back of the property which was a bonus as parking in keswick can be a bit of a nightmare ,the location was 4 mins from town centre, we would definetly go back to tarn haws in the future.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I stayed just before bank holiday wanted to visit lake dist. 2days windmere dissapointing accomadation so left for 2days in keswick thinking to find the same.Booked through info centre at windemere,exellent service.What a lovely little b/b ,the rooms had flat screen TV and although the rooms are all small in this type of acc.the were beautifully decorated and the breakfast excellent . My wife is diabetic and Gill made a selection of fruits and nuts for her. Having been in bussiness most of my life would say that if i was ever to run a b/b i would want it to be like this

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple