“Fantastic stay”

The Royal Oak at Keswick
Ranked #70 of 189 Keswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I booked this Inn as a suprise mid week away for our 34th wedding anniversary.
After reading some negative comments on trip advisor I wondered if I had done the right thing.
Well let me tell you that I certainly did.
Our room was clean, tidy and spacious. Being at the front of the building I was concerend about the reported noise from the market. I and my wife never heard a thing.
The staff and management went out of their way to make us feel welcome and we enjoyed two great breakfasts, (the full cumbrian) which set us up for the day ahead.
On the Thursday evening my wife opted for the Hotpot. The best she had ever had.
I was able to sample various real ales over the course of our two days and was not dissapointed with any of them.
We have stayed in hotels costing double of that which we paid here, and had much worse experiences.
Well done to Tim and all of the team at the Inn at keswick.
we will certainly be back. Great location, great service and a great experience. More than exceeded my expectaions.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a bath
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Tim Banks - Manager at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

I'm happy that we exceeded your expectations and thank you for your positive comments. I hope to welcome you back very soon and continue where we left off.

Reviewed 8 November 2012

Not a hotel if you want clean restful rooms to relax in after long walks in this beautiful area. Receptionist was very understanding. We didn't stop for even one night so we can't review breakfasts. The hotel is very central to Keswick. Don't be put off visiting Keswick and the surrounding area as it's so beautiful.

• Stayed: November 2012

I'm sorry that you chose not to stay with us, i have spoken with the team and have now implemented higher housekeeping standards to ensure that there are no future disappointments. I hope that you will give us another chance to give you a real Inn at Keswick welcome.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Just returned from our second stay here and have to say we liked our stay as much as we did last time. We decided to pay the extra money this time round and book an "executive" room which turned out to be a very good size without losing any of the cosiness.Coffee/tea making facilities are in the room with an excellent flat-screen TV on the wall. The bathroom was good with a walk in shower. The breakfast each morning was very nice with quite a few options right up to the full grilled breakfast which we both had and was very tasty.
We ate here the first night of our stay and both opted for the BLT sandwich, salad and chips. The sandwich was huge and I finished my wifes off for her. The drink prices are no different to other places in Keswick and overall quite acceptable.
The check-in and check-out went very smoothly and quickly and we found all the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. The only downside, which I would like to add the hotel couldn't do anything about was the roadworks right outsde, but apart from that......spot on as usual, and we look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: Pay the extra cash and get an executive room
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Tim Banks - Manager at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thank you for your positive comments. I will share them with the rest of the team and hope to see you again really soon. We're sorry about the roadworks they are very unsightly and a bit of a pain.

Tim Banks - Manager and all the team at The Inn at Keswick

Reviewed 1 November 2012

We turned up without a reservation to a welcoming reception and experienced good friendly service. The food was good. Very busy early evening with lots of families with young children during half term. Would revisit. Can't comment on the rooms. Went for meal only.

• Stayed: November 2012
Inns_0f_Character, Tim Banks - Manager at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed a warm welcome and enjoyed our friendly atmosphere thank you for your positive comments I will share them with the team. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

A warm welcome awaited us for our stay in Keswick. We had seen there was no parking, but soon sorted that out with advice from Tim. Our room was warm comfortable and quiet, Dinner in the restsaurant was good, the bar had a nice buzz about it even on a cold October wednesday night which is always a good sign. Breakfast selection good - we particularly enjoyed the eggs benedict and the scrambled eggs on toast..( hot and firm - a dish often served watery and luke warm). Towels were large and fluffy.Down sides .. slow braodband connection and shower flow could have been better.. but small things...

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happyeater111
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We paid £100 for a very small room. The shower sliding doors were broken. The toilet flush was also faulty. The communal areas were tatty and needed decoration and the carpet was dirty and smelt.
Breakfast was average and the waitress brought tea instead of coffee!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank H0lidaymaker1234
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed at the Inn at Keswick with 2 of our Grand Children, the staff were fantastic and the room was very good/clean and very pleasant. The staff went out of their way to help us with 2 young children and nothing was too much trouble for any one of the staff. We forgot to take the kids Inno tabs when we left and the Hotel, packaged them up and sent them to my home in Manchester. I would reccomend this hotel and its nice to find people who care about their guests as much as the staff at the Inn did.

Room Tip: The family room was pefect for 4.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family