“Good Place and Very Central”

The Royal Oak at Keswick
Ranked #68 of 189 Keswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights in November and it was a good centrally located place. Nice and clean and the rooms were a decent size. We booked a larger double room and it was , apart from the bathroom. It had a very small shower and the toilet was hidden behind the door and you had to manouvere the door to get in there. That would be the only hang up with the accomodation to be honest. Watch out for the low doorways. I'm 6 foot and had to duck every time i enetered the rooms.
We were on the top floor but there is a lot of noise outside early in the morning but thats what you get when you are centrally located.
The breakfast was fine. The staff were friendly and helpfull. A very enjoyable stay in all.

1  Thank toon_ada
Inns_0f_Character, Tim Banks - Manager at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay here at The Inn at Keswick. With being an 18th Century coaching house, unfortunately our doorways are not suited for guests who are 6 foot! Thank you for your positive comments, I will share them with the rest of the team. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed here after a long days walking and thought it was really good! We had two rooms between the four of us, one of which was much bigger than the other but we understood that this was due to the hotel being an old coaching inn. The staff were lovely and the tea, coffee and biscuit selection in our room was amazing! We asked for extra and were given handfuls of biscuits and coffee to take to bed with us. Breakfast was really good quality too with a selection of cereals, fruits and yoghurt to start and a hot breakfast to finish. I would definitely recommend this place to everyone!

Room Tip: We were in room 7 which was much bigger than room 9
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We sell our rooms as comfy and cosy and it's very pleasing to hear that you experienced both. We hope to see you again very soon.

Tim Banks - Manager and all the team at The Inn at Keswick

Reviewed 21 November 2012

I had to make the trip to Keswick at the last minute. After a day in the car and in meetings I really wanted a good experience .

I can't blame the establishment for the road works which made finding the place difficult. As soon as I arrived I was met by a friendly receptionist who genuinely seemed pleased for my custom; as opposed to someone who trots our the latest buzz words from the latest customer care manual.

Having unpacked in my comfortable room and declined the offer of fresh milk for my tea, I followed the receptionist's advice and went down to the bar for a bite to eat and a pint.

It would appear that nowadays everyone offers locally sourced seasonal produce. It wouldn't surprise me if the local Kebab van goes organic soon. However this lot really delivered . I had the Butcher's Deli Board, much yummyness ! Black pudding fritters, hand cut ham and fresh bread to name but a few titbits that were offered . The star of the show was the chicken liver pâté which rivaled my Mum's.

All this for £64 B+B, stonking value.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for such positive comments. It's nice to hear that you thought it was good value for money and that you enjoyed your visit. I will share your comments with the team and hope to see you very soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

we stayed 2 nights in an executive room which was a good size, well furnished with a modern bathroom with walk in shower. Staff were friendly and efficient and the food was excellent.The only complaint we had was there was no hot water during late afternoon/early evening.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Tim Banks - Manager at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Thank you for your lovely comments and apologies for your hot water issues, I hope it didn’t spoil your stay. I will share your comments with the rest of the team. We hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,
Tim Banks - Manager and the team at The Inn at Keswick.

Reviewed 11 November 2012

I booked this Inn as a suprise mid week away for our 34th wedding anniversary.
After reading some negative comments on trip advisor I wondered if I had done the right thing.
Well let me tell you that I certainly did.
Our room was clean, tidy and spacious. Being at the front of the building I was concerend about the reported noise from the market. I and my wife never heard a thing.
The staff and management went out of their way to make us feel welcome and we enjoyed two great breakfasts, (the full cumbrian) which set us up for the day ahead.
On the Thursday evening my wife opted for the Hotpot. The best she had ever had.
I was able to sample various real ales over the course of our two days and was not dissapointed with any of them.
We have stayed in hotels costing double of that which we paid here, and had much worse experiences.
Well done to Tim and all of the team at the Inn at keswick.
we will certainly be back. Great location, great service and a great experience. More than exceeded my expectaions.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a bath
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

I'm happy that we exceeded your expectations and thank you for your positive comments. I hope to welcome you back very soon and continue where we left off.

Reviewed 8 November 2012

Not a hotel if you want clean restful rooms to relax in after long walks in this beautiful area. Receptionist was very understanding. We didn't stop for even one night so we can't review breakfasts. The hotel is very central to Keswick. Don't be put off visiting Keswick and the surrounding area as it's so beautiful.

• Stayed: November 2012

I'm sorry that you chose not to stay with us, i have spoken with the team and have now implemented higher housekeeping standards to ensure that there are no future disappointments. I hope that you will give us another chance to give you a real Inn at Keswick welcome.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Just returned from our second stay here and have to say we liked our stay as much as we did last time. We decided to pay the extra money this time round and book an "executive" room which turned out to be a very good size without losing any of the cosiness.Coffee/tea making facilities are in the room with an excellent flat-screen TV on the wall. The bathroom was good with a walk in shower. The breakfast each morning was very nice with quite a few options right up to the full grilled breakfast which we both had and was very tasty.
We ate here the first night of our stay and both opted for the BLT sandwich, salad and chips. The sandwich was huge and I finished my wifes off for her. The drink prices are no different to other places in Keswick and overall quite acceptable.
The check-in and check-out went very smoothly and quickly and we found all the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. The only downside, which I would like to add the hotel couldn't do anything about was the roadworks right outsde, but apart from that......spot on as usual, and we look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: Pay the extra cash and get an executive room
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Tim Banks - Manager at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thank you for your positive comments. I will share them with the rest of the team and hope to see you again really soon. We're sorry about the roadworks they are very unsightly and a bit of a pain.

Tim Banks - Manager and all the team at The Inn at Keswick