Stayed for 3 nights as a late booking and therefore didn’t expect the best room, there were 2 of us in a twin room. It was extremely small and very hot. There was a small window to open, this looked out onto an enclosed roof, which looked onto a large air vent, probably serving the kitchen. We had two electric fans to cool the room and circulate the air. This room would hardly be used in pictures to advertise the accommodation and I would rate the room as a 2* hostel.
The décor needed refreshing, as it was grubby and scuffed, not only in the room, but the building itself.
The shower room had black mildew in a corner of the ceiling, we felt the extractor fan, was not functioning and we reported it. Not sure if it was attended to as there was no sound coming from it, so presumed not. We were each given a bath towel only. The bathroom was not cleaned during our visit. I asked for towels on returning after our second day and mentioned the dirty bathroom, I had an apology but no explanation, nor was anyone sent to attend to it. Towels were brought with hand towels, so we should have been provided with hand towels initially.
There were good provisions for tea and coffee, but our used cups were not changed for our second day. Cups can be rinsed, but not what I expect to need to do in a hotel. The bathroom glasses were not changed either.
Good points were that the members of staff were very friendly and obliging. I cannot comment on the cleaning staff other than someone wasn’t doing their job.
The breakfast was excellent, food freshly cooked and plenty of choice. Hotel is in an excellent location but guests need to look for parking. Stairs could be a problem for less mobile people as there is no lift.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Oak at Keswick is a welcoming pub offering great home-cooked food and accommodation in the vibrant market town of Keswick, which is situated on the lakeside North of Derwentwater in Cumbria's Lake District. The Royal Oak at Keswick offers a pleasing blend of pub, restaurant and hotel rooms with a well stocked bar and a varied menu of freshly prepared produce and seasonal ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, Priceline, HRS, Agoda, Odigeo and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Oak at Keswick reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Inn At Keswick Hotel Keswick
- The Royal Oak At Keswick Lake District