“very dog friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 177 Keswick B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“very dog friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We were looking for a pub which could accommodate our two large dogs, I had read reviews that the rooms were small but we are used to a three man tent so knew we could manage. The booking process was very positive with a really nice young man coming up with exactly what we wanted. I was disappointed when I arrived that the room had not been allocated and the only room left would be too small, however, the lady at reception promised to sort us out and did so before we had parked the car. Excellent customer service! The room was fine, clean and serviced the second day. The pub restaurant was very popular and the food very nice however, vegetarian options were limited so we only ate there one night. I would certainly revisit the Inn the service, location and food were excellent as were the staff and they were very accepting of our dogs who really aren't small!

1 Thank RJAMES12
Inns_0f_Character, Tim Banks - Manager at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm so glad you enjoyed the customer service and we looked after you. We do need to work on our vegetarian options, but I hope it didn't spoil your visit. We hope to see you again in Keswick, and the big dogs too.

Tim Banks - Manager and all the team at The Inn at Keswick.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Having been here before and stopped because prices were ridiculous I checked out their website and found they had changed owners. I booked this break on their website and got a brilliant three day deal.The weather might not have been great but the friendly staff and owners made it a great break.We went Friday until Monday. On Saturday we went to Whitehaven (great for a couple of hours but not too much more). Cockermouth on a Saturday afternoon was deserted and some shops closed. However in Keswick the market was on and it was bustling. We walked around in the evening and most pubs offered the same food and prices, we ate in the hotel one evening and the food was amazing well done. The breakfasts were very good and the two girls serving were very helpful. Would I go back, yes in an instant.

Room Tip: All rooms are great here.
1 Thank angelefc
Inns_0f_Character, Tim Banks - Manager at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thanks for your positive comments. We have consciously worked hard on service and in the competitive market place of Keswick, it's very important for our guests to leave having had value for money. I will share your comments with the rest of the team.

Malvern, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were a walking party of 6 that booked into the Inn. On arrival we were greeted by the best receptionist we met on the Cumbrian Way. She seemed to run reception, the bar and the breakfast room and made us feel our stay was really important to her. Thwaites should use her to train others!! Rooms at The Inn are very small and it was disturbing on arrival to find that the twin rooms booked had two single beds pushed together as doubles - not good for a hetrosexual all-male party. We sorted out a rearrangement of the rooms ourselves. Otherwise this is a good stopping off point on a long distance walk and would perfectly suit couples who like double beds and don't need masses of room. And the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PiggyD
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay & the service. We are looking at refurbishing the rooms & knocking through to make them bigger sometime next year, hopefully on your next visit you will enjoy it even more. Thanks for your comments and I will make sure the receptionist gets a pat on the back after all she is my wife! Hope to see you next time you visit Keswick.

Kind regards,
Tim Banks - Manager and all the team at the Inn at Keswick.
Scottish Borders
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed 3 nights and the bathroom was never cleaned; no fresh towels left; tea/coffee/water/biscuits were not refreshed or cups washed; no milk left for tea/coffee; the room was small and stuffy. Breakfast was okay

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Inns_0f_Character, Tim Banks - Manager at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
I'm so sorry you left disappointed, we have had some changes in housekeeping personnel recently for this reason. Our rooms are small, but we try very hard to provide great service. This obviously hasn't happened in this case on many levels. I really dislike our guests to leave unhappy and feel they have no had value for money. Would you be kind enough to ring me on 01768 774584, I would like to speak to you regarding this matter personally and invite you back.

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

The pub was empty and the bartender was friendly first. I got ordered and got quickly my food. Cumberland Sausage with gravy and mash. The Cumberland sausage was good quality and the mash was buttery and delicious, but I thought the portion was a bit on the small side, also there was kinda green leaves with it, not sure for decoration or if that was actually vegetable, anyway you couldn't eat it either way. When I was leaving the waiter walked towards me, but instead of saying a friendly "goodbye" he just completely ignored me, like "do not look at her, do not look at her". Which I thought a bit odd. I probably wouldn't go back, I've had better service and food at the Lake District.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Inns_0f_Character, Tim Banks - Manager at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
We have started serving sausage and mash with kale, which is edible. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the experience or the service. I hope you will give us another chance when you are next in Keswick.

Tim Banks - Manager and all the team at The Inn at Keswick
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed overnight with friends this week and had no complaints at all.Room clean with everything you would need for a overnight stay. Staff lovely and a very good breakfast. Very good value for money I would say. It's a very very old building and could probably do with a little TLC but we certainly had no complaints.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks, we realise the building needs some TLC, but we hope we overcame that with our hospitality, be sure I will share your comments with the team.

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed Saturday 21st September, staff very friendly and welcoming. Manager went that extra mile to help to accommodate us. Room clean, comfortable and had everything we needed. The Inn provided a good breakfast with plenty of choice. Excellent Inn with character. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
My pleasure to go the extra mile for you, we like to think all the team do as standard. I will pass on your comments and hope to see you soon.