This isn't the greatest hotel in the world. It's basically a pub doubling up as a hotel. They describe themselves not as a hotel but as an 'Inn of Character' The hotel desk isn't staffed all the time, so sometimes you have to walk over to the pub to grab someone. The best thing about it is the central location. It's a great base for exploring all the Lake District has to offer.
The room was fine - I have seen several disparaging reviews where people take photos of every mark on the wall, cracks in paint, mould around the window. It does have all of these things, but they are closing for refurbishments very soon, and I'm sure all these things will be put right. We had no issues with cleanliness. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom a good size. We had the window open while we slept, and there was a slight hum from a nearby commercial fan. But this is to be expected when you stay so centrally.
One nice little touch is the flask of milk they give you every day so you can make hot drinks in your room.
The hotel does not come with parking facilities, and it is tricky to find a space, especially if it's a bank holiday as it was when we visited. There are no restrictions on nearby Stanger Street, or on street near the church which is around the corner from the hotel. If you need some directions, just pop in and ask a member of staff.
The breakfast was great - I had the "Full Keswick" which is a full English on one day, and Eggs Benedict the next day - both were excellent, and you could customise your order if you didn't like some of the ingredients.
After leaving, we realised we had left a top hung up in the wardrobe. We emailed the hotel and got a response straight away from Tim advising it would be posted to us, free of charge. This was a really nice touch, so I wanted to say a big thankyou to Tim and the team.
All in all, we had a lovely stay in this hotel and would definitely visit again. We are looking forward to seeing it after the refurbishment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Oak at Keswick is a welcoming pub offering great home-cooked food and accommodation in the vibrant market town of Keswick, which is situated on the lakeside North of Derwentwater in Cumbria's Lake District. The Royal Oak at Keswick offers a pleasing blend of pub, restaurant and hotel rooms with a well stocked bar and a varied menu of freshly prepared produce and seasonal ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK) and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Royal Oak at Keswick reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Inn At Keswick Hotel Keswick
- The Royal Oak At Keswick Lake District