“Disappointing stay in very noisy room”

The Royal Oak at Keswick
Ranked #73 of 189 Keswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2014

We have just returned from an overnight stay in room 8 at the Royal Oak finding the room itself pleasant enough but the noise from the stairs was unacceptable from other guests using the stairway both late at night and early in the morning.The soundproofing for the room needs to be improved if guests are to experience a restful might.
We did mention the problem when we checked out getting a non committal response which was disappointing and no apology . The rate for the room was towards the high end of hotels in the town. We didn't feel it was value for money compared to other hotels we have stayed in locally.
The hotel doesn't have any parking which is at a premium in Keswick. Be prepared to have to look for on street parking a short walk away. I didn't check that out when I booked.

Room Tip: Don't book room 8 although the room itself is pleasant the noise from the stairs is unacceptable
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
TheRoyalOak_Manager, Tim Banks at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Hi
Please accept my apologies for your stay. Unfortunately being town centre and above a public house we are going to get noise issues & also because we are town centre we just don't have the room for a car park and we do categorically state on our website that we don't, I share all trip advisor comments with the team, positive & negative & use them as a tool to get better, thanks for taking the time to comment ,and we hope to see you next time you are in Keswick.

There are newer reviews for The Royal Oak at Keswick

Reviewed 1 September 2014

My wife and I had a pre-theatre dinner at the Royal Oak on August 1st. We arrived around 5:30 p.m. without reservations and it was very busy but we were immediately seated. The atmosphere of the dining room was fantastic with a nice historic feel to it. We started with the Nibble Board followed by the signature Lemon and thyme rotisserie chicken for me and the chicken Caesar salad for my wife. I thought it was cool how the rotisserie chicken was served and it was incredibly moist and flavorful. The chips, coleslaw and salad were a nice accompaniment. My wife enjoyed her Caesar salad but we ended up sharing the rotisserie chicken. Portions were so generous that we opted out of dessert. Service was friendly and prompt. I thoroughly enjoyed dinner at the Royal Oak, highly recommend it and would certainly return.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
TheRoyalOak_Manager, Tim Banks at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Hi
I'm so glad you mentioned how cool the chicken looks and tasted , we think exactly the same, we have been working very hard on the hospitality and standard side of things, and I'm glad its paying dividends, we hope to see you next time you come across the pond, & lets hope we all stay cool !

Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in July for my 21st birthday with my boyfriend. The word that springs to mind is perfect...the staff were absolutely fantastic...the rooms were gorgeous and the food was outstanding! (The garlic mushrooms in creamy white wine sauce with melted Stilton are a must) I have never tasted anything quite like them! A taxi ride away from the centre of Chester and buses which run fairly regular! We would definitely return here! Definite 5*!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chelsea w

Thanks for your positive comments and your ***** star review , so glad you enjoyed your visit, I will share your lovely comments with the team & hope to see you in Keswick very soon

Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Called in for a drink after a hard walk around Derwent lake, staff made us very welcome, found us a seat for us although it was very busy.
Went back a few Days later and had some food and drinks this time, again staff spot on and the food was great, we were over the moon with the price as well.
Would defiantly go back and recommend and would like to stay around Christmas time as it's so warming and welcoming inside.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Vico79
TheRoyalOak_Manager, Tim Banks at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Hi
Thanks for your positive review, so glad you enjoyed your visit ,glad to hear also you had value for money, that is so important to us in a very competitive environment, hope to see you at Christmas time ,when all the lights are on in the square, I'm sure you wont be disappointed.
jingle bells jingl...........................................................

Reviewed 27 August 2014

My wife and i stayed at the Royal Oak over the August bank holiday weekend with our pet dog. May we firstly congratulate the staff for their superb customer service...nothing was too much trouble and they made a real fuss of our beloved dog! We stayed in a 'cosy room' which was more than adequate and served its purpose very well. The room itself was immaculately clean with modern decor and a nice bathroom. The breakfast was exceptional with various choices combining locally sourced ingredients and this certainly set us up for a days walking! This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel and we must comment that the recent refurbishment is definitely a credit to the staff and owners, so much so that we have already booked a return visit for November this year! Although very busy at breakfast, service was fine with offers of more toast and refills if needed. Ref the previous review comment stating “better house rules needed for dogs/owners” we strongly disagree with this as this is a good selling point, as is the whole area being dog friendly virtually everywhere. All we would say is that there are numerous other places which don't offer the pet option so don't let us pet owners lose our freedom in this regard! We can't wait to return to this hotel and Keswick itself, as we met some lovely people along the way who are a credit to themselves and the lake district.

Room Tip: Although no fault of the hotels, the rooms facing the town square can be a little noisy first thing.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
TheRoyalOak_Manager, Tim Banks at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thanks for your positive review , I will share your comments with the team , & we look forward to seeing you again in November, always a spare sausage for our four legged friends !!!

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights. Room, food and staff were very good.

However, the hotel is dog friendly which in principle is great. In practice inconsiderate owners took their dogs to the restaurant. On the third morning I felt it unacceptable to have guests on the next table ordering a cooked breakfast for their large dog, producing two metal dog bowls for water and food, then allowing him to eat noisily in between our tables - I felt unable to eat/enjoy my breakfast.

As a fellow guest in a busy restaurant I don't feel it was for me to speak to the inconsiderate owners. Do the hotel need "house rules" for dog owners?

On checking out minutes later after a 3 night stay I was not asked whether my stay was a good one - this would have been their opportunity to seek my feedback which would have been exactly as above.

1  Thank BlueMackrel
TheRoyalOak_Manager, Tim Banks at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Hi
sometimes ,because we have so many visitors with four legged friends we overlook people who dont particularly care for dogs,
i will also raise the issue with the team regarding your checkout, not being asked about your stay is unnacceptable, please accept my apologies & hope to see you again soon , maybe with some more forsight regarding our canine conundrum.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

As regular visitors to Keswick we were looking forward to visiting the newly refurbished Royal Oak. However, we were left sorely disappointed! The sharing fish starter was pleasant but our mains left a lot to be desired...the best thing about the Sunday roast was the carrots and the T-bone pork was dry and the mushrooms were cold. It's a shame as we has such high hopes for this place!

1  Thank Russ_Flynn

Hi
Please accept my sincere apologies for your recent visit, we are striving very hard to get things just right after our fantastic refurbishment, rest assured i will share your comments with the team to make us better, hope you can see the improvements next time you are in keswick