After an informative welcome from Lee, we went to have a relaxing drink in the bar after many hours of travelling. We had been looking forward to visiting Keswick as part of our visit (along with the other 8 locations we took in) and felt very flat and uncomfortable when met by the hostile and uncomfortable attitude of the person behind the bar. Smiling and enquiring as to the type of drinks they had on offer that we were looking forward to enjoying we were met with a stoney response and a vacant stare. As we walked away I said to my partner I found it to be unfriendly to which the reply coming from behind me was confrontational. We stood in the bar area but felt very uncomfortable and decided to leave and drive around the surrounding area for the rest of the day, the last thing we were expecting to do. We then had dinner in a nearby Italian restaurant and let ourselves in by a side door so as not to see anybody. There was also the question of a previous occupants underwear found to have been left in one of the "drawers". We dealt with this in a humerous way and deposited them back to the reception area. The room was relatively small and window did not open due to it being a lowfitting sash so was barred across, I wouldn't want to be there in the height of summer. We had problems with the TV but didn't mention it until we left, and I'm sure it would have been sorted earlier had we wanted to spend anytime there! On leaving I brought all of the things written here to the attention of a gentleman who was very genuinely concerned. We stayed in many other locations of different standards and prices and this was by far the worse. More expensive with less attention to detail, a pub with rooms overhyped and overpriced
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Oak at Keswick is a welcoming pub offering great home-cooked food and accommodation in the vibrant market town of Keswick, which is situated on the lakeside North of Derwentwater in Cumbria's Lake District. The Royal Oak at Keswick offers a pleasing blend of pub, restaurant and hotel rooms with a well stocked bar and a varied menu of freshly prepared produce and seasonal ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Royal Oak at Keswick reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Inn At Keswick Hotel Keswick
- The Royal Oak At Keswick Lake District