All reviewslamb hotpotthe pubsteak and ale piebooked a tablean overnight stayate herefresh milkminutes walk awayan evening mealeggs benedictcentral locationcumbrian breakfastsunday lunchcentre of towngreat weekendlong walkbiscuits
Reviewed 15 November 2010

We had a very pleasant 4 night stay.We had a problem with our room ,which had been used by a smoker,however ,the manager,Ian,was very helpful in sorting it out for us.
The food was very good and both the restaurant and the bar were very cosy.
The lodge was in an excellent position for walking.
The staff were ver friendly.

1  Thank happywalker91
Thwaitesinns, Ian Pilcher - General Manager at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great review for us. We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the food we serve.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Keswick lodge again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 October 2010

Nicely decorated rooms, quite small but they have everything you want! One thing I did enjoy was the shortbread biscuits and supply of tea!! Tv was in a weird place which I think should be addressed, gave me a bit of neck ache! Really good value for money considering the other places to stay seem very overpriced for just one night!! Far too Hungover for breakfast and was a little too early so went down the road instead! The only bad point was nobody at reception when we wanted to hand our keys in so had to just leave them on the desk. Would definetley stay here again! Oh but only if there's extra pillows available!!!

• Stayed: October 2010
Thwaitesinns, Ian Pilcher - General Manager at The Royal Oak at Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay at the lodge and have taken on board your comments regarding the placement of the television in your room. I look forward to welcoming you back at the lodge in the near future and will make sure there is plenty of shortbread and tea available upon your return. Thank you for your review.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 October 2010

I stayed in the Keswick Lodge Hotel in August with my partner, we had never stayed here before but thought it would be an ideal location and although no parking was most suitable to our needs.

We arrived at the Lodge to a friendly, informative welcome from the Manager (Ian i believe?) He also provided us with a side door key which enabled us to gain access to our rooms after the bar was closed.

Once we arrived in our rooms we were pleasantly surprised, although the room was rather warm this wasnt a huge problem for us as the weather wasnt the best. We then ventured down to the bar for some food and drinks before going to explore the lovely market town.

We were greeted at the bar by a lovely young barman who was most helpful in helping my husband choose an ale to drink. We stood at the bar for 5 minutes talking to the barman who explained he was at university near where we lived. He, like all of the staff were very happy to help and we returned for food in the bar for the remaining 2 nights of our stay, where the same barman asked each night how our stay was and asked what we had done that day.

The breakfast was good with a large choice of cereals and cooked breakfasts, the service was fast and always came with a smile.

We will definatly be returning to the Lodge soon and will be recommending the hotel to anyone who may be visiting the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, it is very rewarding to know that we have given our guests a great stay. The team and I were delighted to read your comments and so pleased that you you enjoyed our wonderful Daniel Thwaites beers. Hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 18 October 2010

We love the Lakes and Keswick , always spending 6/7 hours a day up in the hills , so we are not ones to stand on ceremony.....But !
Having dined in the Lodge occasionally over the last few years we thought we would use it as a base for a long weekend , but will not do so again .The staff were scruffy , the breakfast was the worst we have had in any accomodation and served on greasy tables , and we didn't get a complete nights sleep at all due to the noise from the street in the early hours .The rooms were OK , but , were very warm for the time of year hense we had to keep the window wide open at night. Just glad it wasn't summer.
On the plus side , the Lodge is very central and welcomed Stan , our labrador .
This place could be much better if basic standards were attended to .

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Please accept my apologies that we seem to have let you down on this occasion. Yours is not the kind of feedback we are used to receiving, and is certainly not representative of our usual high standards. I do hope that we might have the opportunity of welcoming you back at some point in the future, and hopefully restoring a little faith?

Reviewed 14 October 2010

After an informative welcome from Lee, we went to have a relaxing drink in the bar after many hours of travelling. We had been looking forward to visiting Keswick as part of our visit (along with the other 8 locations we took in) and felt very flat and uncomfortable when met by the hostile and uncomfortable attitude of the person behind the bar. Smiling and enquiring as to the type of drinks they had on offer that we were looking forward to enjoying we were met with a stoney response and a vacant stare. As we walked away I said to my partner I found it to be unfriendly to which the reply coming from behind me was confrontational. We stood in the bar area but felt very uncomfortable and decided to leave and drive around the surrounding area for the rest of the day, the last thing we were expecting to do. We then had dinner in a nearby Italian restaurant and let ourselves in by a side door so as not to see anybody. There was also the question of a previous occupants underwear found to have been left in one of the "drawers". We dealt with this in a humerous way and deposited them back to the reception area. The room was relatively small and window did not open due to it being a lowfitting sash so was barred across, I wouldn't want to be there in the height of summer. We had problems with the TV but didn't mention it until we left, and I'm sure it would have been sorted earlier had we wanted to spend anytime there! On leaving I brought all of the things written here to the attention of a gentleman who was very genuinely concerned. We stayed in many other locations of different standards and prices and this was by far the worse. More expensive with less attention to detail, a pub with rooms overhyped and overpriced

2  Thank Busot

I’d like to offer my sincere apologies for what was obviously a below par stay. Your experience was certainly not up to our usual standards & it goes without saying that I will be reviewing your feedback with the team. It is difficult for me to turn back the clock, but should you consider using us in the future, then please contact me personally, and I will be happy to make a more tangible gesture as well as ensuring that you are looked after superbly.