“A lovely place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Oakthwaite House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keswick
Oakthwaite House
Ranked #73 of 176 Keswick B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“A lovely place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We immediately felt at home when we were welcomed by Peter and Sandra. We stayed in Room 2 which was generously sized with a lovely view and nice en-suite. Our room was very well kept, clean and comfortable with a very tasteful decor. It was only a 5 minute walk into the centre of Keswick, which was ideal for us.
As we stayed for a week, it was really nice having such a wide variety of choice for breakfast. We tried everything on the menu, and it was all delicious! You could tell that the food had been prepared by a great chef.
I think we were quite lucky that it was fairly empty during our stay, as we could easily hear the other rooms.
We really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this B&B. My girlfriend especially enjoyed the replenished cookies in our room every day!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Isa K
oakthwaite13, Owner at Oakthwaite House, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Isa & Emma

Thanks for the lovely review. I felt we got to know each other quite well by the time you left us. I hope to see you both again the next time you come to the Lake District. Take care. Best wishes
Sandra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed at Outhwaite House and found Sandra to be friendly and attentive. The B and B is very close to the town centre and the lovely mountain walks, Room one was very clean and nicely decorated. It had everything in it that you might need, such as coffee, tea and biscuits as well as tissues and a hair dryer. The en suite bathroom was very clean and had a lovely powerful shower and toiletries. On the landing was a selection of DVDs and books to borrow.

You can see the tops of the mountains above the rooftops from the bedroom window. The room was a little bit on the small side and we occasionally bumped our legs on the bed frame.

The breakfast was delicious and there was lots of choice, such as porridge and pancakes as well as sausages and egg, The breakfast room is pretty and has a lovely view.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AstraUk
Dear Gary & Wendy

It was a pleasure to have you and Hannah & David stay with me. I am so pleased you had a good time. Take care, hope to see you all again before too long

Best wishes

Chapel-en-le-Frith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

A fantastic B & B centrally located within easy walking distance of the centre. Room 5 was lovely, very clean and beautifully decorated with a great ensuite. Sandra was a great host and couldn't do enough to make you welcome. Lots of choice for breakfast all of which was delicious! We would highly recommend Oakthwaite House is a great place to stay.
Sue & John

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue O
Dear Sue & John

It was lovely to have you stay with me. Thank you for kind review. I'm looking forward to seeing you both again soon

Best wishes

Wangi, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I enjoiyed my stay at Oakthwaite House; it is a quiet, comfortable place to sleep; breakfast is fresh, rich and tasty; attentive, friendly service; about 10-15 min walk to the center and the bus station

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Vera S
oakthwaite13, Owner at Oakthwaite House, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hello Vera,

What a joy and a blessing to have such a lovely person stay in our home for seven nights, it was a great pleasure to be able to look after you and we do hope you had a really nice time in Keswick. I do remember you kept yourself really busy every day and from what you said loved the sights and tastes of Keswick.

We really do hope to see you real soon next time you visit the Lakes, pleased you got home ok and thank you for taking the time to post a comment.

All the very best
Peter and Sandra
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Wow what a fantastic Room 2 is . We received a lovely welcome. When we stayed it was so very hot, we asked if we could borrow a fan for the room. Peter went and found one straight away.
Sandra went out her way to give us a great breakfast.

This is a great place to stay as it is so local for Keswick.

Look forward to returning to this B and B.

Thank you to Peter and Sandra for a lovely stay

Carol and Steve

Room Tip: Great Room "
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephen j
Hello Carol and Steve,
We are so pleased you had a lovely stay, even if a little hot for you. We was pleased to go that extra mile to ensure you both felt comfortable while you were guests in our home so the fan was no trouble at all and hope it helped cool your room.
May be next time you visit us it won't be so hot and you can enjoy much more of this beautiful town.
Very best wishes
Peter and Sandra
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

The room was very clean and well appointed with ample space. Parking was easy; could always get a spot within 50 yards.Breakfast was excellent. Initially the owner was a little remote but helpful, with information andhelped us get our luggage in.; He took a little time to unwind with us. We were within easy walking distance of the town centre. Oathwaite House provides an excellent base for visiting some of the best that the Lake District has to offer. Overall it could not be faulted but it lacked the wow factor..If visiting Keswick again we would stay here

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
oakthwaite13, Owner at Oakthwaite House, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Hello I am so sorry I was a little remote and took a little time to unwind with you. I am also sorry you felt we lacked the wow factor but was pleased that when you are visiting Keswick again you would stay here again.
I am really sorry your experience was not a great one but I am so pleased you had a great time in Keswick and the beautiful surrounding areas.
I do hope you will visit us again real soon.
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

The hotel was very clean and comfortable but as soon as we entered the owner was rude, unfriendly and very pernickety. Instead of asking us about our journey he made a huge fuss about the fact that we had hand luggage sized suitcases and no car. We didn't feel at all at ease or welcome in the slightest. It was as far away from 'make yourself at home' as I have ever encountered.

Unfortunately this did not improve. He never asked us about are day or what we were planning to do, but seemed to tell us off in a very rude manner making us feel uncomfortable whenever we were in the b&b. It seemed like he cared about the rules of the b&b far more than the people staying there. One example of this was when I was feeling unwell but was kicked out of the room at 10.30 into the cold rain. If this was done in a kind mannered way or with any concern I would have understood but the lack of empathy in the 'I'm sorry, this is a b&b not a guesthouse' showed that he did not care about us as guests. Also the website does call them a guesthouse and there is nothing on the terms and conditions about leaving one's room.

Another issue arose after he refused to store our bags for a few hours on check out day despite agreeing to when we first arrived. Again it was an example where he would not go out of his way. However despite first telling us that we had to keep them outside with no security, after an argument he begrudgingly kept them in the corridor.

Since most reviews have been so positive, me and my girlfriend could only speculate that this rudeness had been because we were young people (20 and 23). We are not at all boisterous, very polite and very friendly and were disappointed to get this kind of service.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ben294217
oakthwaite13, Owner at Oakthwaite House, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hello Ben and Mollie,

Firstly I would like to apologise for my rudeness, unfriendly and very pernickety approach when you arrived.

From reading both your comments you did not experience the same welcome most guest get when they come to stay.

As a way of apology I would like to invite you both to come and stay as my guests for a two night stay at your convenience to show you the warm and friendly welcome you should have experienced.

Please do give me a call and allow me the opportunity to address this unfortunate experience.
Very best wishes.