“Skye Workshop 2 to 6 October 2017”

Melvin Nicholson Photography
More attraction details
Owner description: Melvin Nicholson Photography offers landscape photography workshops and expert 1-2-1 tuition throughout the Lake District and the UK. I offer one, two and three day workshops in the Lake District and are based in the following areas; Keswick, Windermere, Ullswater, Buttermere and Coniston, If you love landscape photography and either wish to improve your photography skills with a professional photographer or simply have me be your experienced location guide taking you to the very best places then I can help you.
Reviewed 10 October 2017

A great five day photography workshop at the beginning of October on the island of Skye. Melvin's knowledge and experience of Photography is vast and his ablity to pass on this knowledge is excellant. He also spent time with each individual. It is no exaggeration to say that attending this workshop has altered my approach to Landscape Photography. Despite the weather being not at it's best we were able to make a selection of very good images. The hotel selected, the Cullin Hills hotel was excellent and very accomodating, providing a snack breakfast when we went out at 5. 10 one morning. An attendee on a Melvin Nocholson workshop would be advised to have a certain level of photogrpahic experience and at lest a DSLR or possibly a good bridge camera, tripod and a filter set, although these can be borrowed. But you will make a lot of progress.

Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

Hi Jonathan

Now that's what I call a review. Many thanks for your kind words and it was an absolute pleasure having you on the workshop with us. You're sheer determination to climb the Old Man of Storr will stay with me forever and I am so delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

The choice of hotel is important on any of my workshops but in particular on Skye due to the possibility of inclement weather having you stay indoors if it's bad enough. As such the four star Cuillin Hills Hotel that overlooks the beautiful Portree harbour is the finest hotel positioned in the finest place.

Regarding the workshop having altered the way you now approach landscape photography is perhaps the greatest compliment I can receive and I am so pleased that you got so much from your five days with us. I would be very happy to have you join us again in the future and as always, if you have any questions or require any assistance in the meantime, you know where I am.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"skills"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

Melvin is an excellent photographer who makes learning photography exciting and installs a passion in his groups. Locations are well researched and described on his excellent website. From n
Beginners to more advanced learners the pitch is perfect. Great value for money. The night time city course is a must.

Hi Lesley

Many thanks for your kind review. The Salford Quays workshop is one of my most popular one day workshops owed to some large degree because of the fantastic views on offer once the sun goes down and the lights come up. You captured some lovely images despite the somewhat occasional challenging weather conditions. I hope to see you again on another workshop Lesley and if you require any further assistance in the meantime, feel free to give me a shout.

Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

Melvin is such a great character, and so easy to get along with!

With such a wealth of knowledge that he is not afraid to impart, he is a great teacher, and I have learnt a lot from this great evening of photography.

Can not recommend going on his workshops highly enough, this is my first one of his workshops... but definitely won’t be my last!!

Thanks Melvin, for a great time, and some great tutoring... next time, please arrange for better weather!

Hi Kevin

Next time I shall order nicer weather conditions just for you (and me too, lol). Yes, despite the weather you did a great job in capturing the media city in all its glory once the sun had set. It was a real pleasure having you join us and thank you for your kind words.

Onwards and upwards Kevin. Happy shooting.

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

What an awesome experience.
I was nervous about the workshop as I was a novice for landscape photography. But, Melvin is not only a consummate professional teacher, he had a manner that is very calming and inclusive that. Makes it easy to enjoy learning.
I unreservedly recommend anyone, novice or advanced, to enjoy a workshop with Melvin.

Hi Fran

You know that it is completely natural for some people to be really nervous about joining a multi-day workshop/tour with complete strangers but you settled in a treat and in no time you were taking some lovely images. You're great sense of humour was so welcomed and I hope to have you join me again on another workshop. Your company was much enjoyed and it was great to spend three days laughing and enjoying life. Thank you Fran.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

I had a fab day yesterday with Melvin in the lakes. Relatively new to photography and landscape photography I came away from the day having corrected the mistakes I was making and with the confidence to go out and continue learning by myself. Melvins best points for me, especially being a beginner are:
1. Patience of a saint
2. Methodically explaining (in a way i understood) the various steps needed for landscape photography
3. Tailored the day for what I wanted to get out of it
4. Easy going with a sense of humour
5. Knows where the best cafes are!!

Thanks again Melvin for a great day

1  Thank Tim R
Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

Hi Tim

Thank you so much for a glowing review on our 1-2-1 tuition day together in the Lake District on Thursday 14th Sept 2017. I loved the 'Patience of a Saint' reference but in truth, I love nothing more than helping someone understand the finer points of landscape photography and whilst patience can be a quality to possess now and then, I honestly did not need it with you.

I shall look forward to welcoming you back anytime Tim and as for me knowing where the best cafes are located, all I can say is 'absolutely yes', ha, ha.