“Lake District 1-2-1 February 2018”

Melvin Nicholson Photography
More attraction details
Owner description: Melvin Nicholson Photography offers landscape photography workshops and expert 1-2-1 tuition throughout the Lake District and the UK. I offer one, two and three day workshops in the Lake District and are based in the following areas; Keswick, Windermere, Ullswater, Buttermere and Coniston, If you love landscape photography and either wish to improve your photography skills with a professional photographer or simply have me be your experienced location guide taking you to the very best places then I can help you.
Reviewed 27 March 2018

This was my first workshop with Melvin. From the outset it was clear we were going to have a fun day. Melvin has a very jovial and lighthearted style to his tuition which makes you feel relaxed and at ease. He is also a very professional and talented photographer with a wealth of information and tips to share. I learnt a great deal on the day which has allowed me to improve my skills and take better pictures. I would highly recommend a workshop with Melvin and hope to go on some more myself in the future.

Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Hi Steve

Many thanks for leaving a review of our recent one day 1-2-1 tuition day together in the Lake District. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with me and that you appeared to have got a lot from the experience. I endeavour to run all of my photography workshops/tours and 1-2-1's in a relaxed, informal and friendly style. I find that people learn and enjoy the experience much better that way, after all I am so fortunate to have turned what was years ago a hobby into a full time professional job. What a lifestyle I enjoy and I hope others do too when spending time with me.

If there's anything else you require assistance with Steve, give me a shout. I hope to see you soon.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"camera"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 27 March 2018

I was booked on the march Skye workshop but because of the bad weather I had to cancel as no trains going up north so Melvin had another trip going the week after to harris and lewis so I moved to that trip as I was so disappointed at not being able to get up there to join the trip but I was picked up with all the others and set off from Preston in his mini bus we stopped off on route taking photos Melvin straight away helped me with setting up to get best settings ect the whole trip was fantastic always there to help even had me standing in very bad windy conditions on a cliff top to get a great sunset picture and told us to bring Wellington boots why I thought so had to buy on route but then I realised why he had us in the sea to get the best pictures up close we had such a laugh though out the whole trip great crowd of people always there to help excellent workshop would recommend anyone this was my third workshop and will defiantly be going on more thank you Melvin

Hi Linda

Oh what a time we had on Harris and Lewis during my week long workshop but just getting you to the island was a challenge as you mentioned the severe weather that the UK was experiencing with several feet of snow in places restricting your workshop in Skye the week before. Under such exceptional circumstances, I was happy to move your booking forward onto the following workshops to Harris and Lewis the week after,

You were just brilliant company Linda, always a smile on your face and a laugh never far away. I know that we all benefited from having you with us and I just wanted to say a big thank you for joining us. I hope your new wellies are still going strong (£18 for a pair or £9 each, lol).

We were pretty lucky with the weather for the week and I am delighted that you have ended up with some lovely images. I very much look forward to having you join me on another workshop soon Linda. Take care and if you ever need anything, just give me a shout.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

This was my first workshop with Melvin, and I certainly hope to book more in the future.
He is professional and has a great wealth of knowledge on photography.
I was very reluctant to book any photography workshops, after a bad experience on a previous 3 day workshop. Which knocked my confidence.
I had no need to be anxious, Melvin is very good teacher, and also plenty of banter. He makes you feel relaxed, and is very keen to teach you.
I have a new camera, which I am struggling with, and I learnt so much from Melvin about the camera, but also about composition and how to make sure you set your image up before taking shot. Really good day.

Hi Jane

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us on my one day Salford Quays workshop. I love architectural photography and all the challenges that photographing an urban environment brings and if I am able to assist others in having them photograph such places then all's the better.

I have been photographing the BBC Media City since it began back in 2011 and there is such a wealth of subjects to shoot. For those interested, I do hold an official media press pass which allows me to run photography workshops at Media City as well as written permission to photograph the Imperial War Museum opposite. It is important to have such authorisation when running workshops on private land otherwise you can be asked to leave (in fact any member of the general public can be asked to leave the grounds of Media City). Having authorisation allows me to run workshops confidently and at ease knowing that all I have to worry about is ensuring that my clients get the most from their time with me.

It was a real pleasure meeting you Jane and if you require anything else, you know where I am.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

It was my second workshop with Melvin and I plan to attend more. He is not only a professional photographer with a huge knowledge but a very good teacher and a good friend as well. In my and my friends' opinion my landscape photography skills have improved a lot since I first attended his workshop in the Lake District in 2016. During his workshops he always takes his group to the best locations depending on weather and lights. He pays full attention to each of his attendees and turns to them with understanding and patience. Not a single question remains unanswered. That's why I returned even from a foreign country. I recommend his workshops and one-to-one tuitions to everyone being in love with landscape photography.

Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Hi Csilla

Well what a five days we experienced in Skye together (early March 2018). Firstly the weather played havoc with travel plans but while most of the UK was six feet under snow, you were able to fly in from Hungary and we were able to head from Lancashire to Portree for five days of photographic heaven.

As you already mentioned, this was your second workshop with me and I'm very thankful for you coming back to join me. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with me and the others and that you got a lot out of it. I have been visiting Skye for a number of years now and I know it pretty well now which helps enormously when trying to decide which locations to take my clients to especially when the weather proves.....challenging, lol.

I look forward to seeing your images Csilla and if you need any further help with anything, you know where I am. Speak soon.

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 March 2018

After 30+ years with a SLR I didn't know what to expect from 5 days of photography on the Isle of Skye. So after challenging weather conditions what did I learn? Lots, going with the flow and opening my mind to new ideas: the importance of a really good composition; experimenting with a 1:1 crop in camera; much better focussing; using a polariser properly; pushing boundaries in the pouring rain; tripod spikes & wellies; and 'penny dropping' post processing sessions where I finally got my head around layers and masks in Photoshop. Melvin was great fun, was happy to drive the 8+ hours up from Preston to Skye, had a really comfortable 9-seater van with winter tyres, was fine with the simplest of questions and priced the tour to offer fantastic value

Hi Phil

Wow, after such a fantastic review, I feel that I should review my workshop price, ha, ha. Only kidding.

It was great to have you with me and us for the five days spent on the wonderful island of Skye. You were enthusiastic, keen to absorb information and new techniques and provided a laugh or two throughout the workshop so big thanks from me. As mentioned, the new nine seater Ford Tourneo minibus worked a treat in accommodating everyone comfortably while providing acres of space for camera bags, tripods, jackets, flasks, lunch, an electric coolbox and the most important thing, wellies (well important if you want to stand in the water that is, lol).

I'm happy to report that everyone loved the five bedroom cottage we stayed in. It was perfect for our needs and not only did it helped to bring down the price of the workshop but it also allowed for a much more intimate and enjoyable atmosphere. Many thanks for joining us Phil and I hope to see you again in the near future and if there's anything else that I can help you with, just give me a shout.