“The Dolomites”

Melvin Nicholson Photography
More attraction details
Owner description: Melvin Nicholson Photography offers landscape photography workshops and expert 1-2-1 tuition throughout the Lake District and the UK. I offer one, two and three day workshops in the Lake District and are based in the following areas; Keswick, Windermere, Ullswater, Buttermere and Coniston, If you love landscape photography and either wish to improve your photography skills with a professional photographer or simply have me be your experienced location guide taking you to the very best places then I can help you.
Reviewed 29 October 2018

If you want some fun, adventure, fantastic scenery and great photographic opportunities then I would strongly recommend that you go on a photographic workshop/tour with Melvin Nicholson to the Dolomites. This 6 day tour had everything and Melvin’s organisation, planning and research were second to none. However he was always happy to make changes in order that we got the best out of the light and the weather.
To get the most out of the location and light you needed to be up for a bit of walking and rising way before sunset: but the rewards are well worth it.
The accommodation and food was first rate and with a great bunch of fellow photographers, along with Melvin’s wit and bonhomie you can’t fail to have a great time and come back with some fabulous photographs
I can’t recommend this tour too highly.

Date of experience: October 2018
Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2018

Hi Brian

Firstly many thanks for such a lovely review. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a few words about your experience on the tour. This was a recce tour in preparation for a full blown workshop Oct 2019 and as usual, I spent a couple of solid weeks researching everything from the various hotels in Cortina d'Ampezzo (where we stayed for the first three nights) and Ortisei (for the following three nights), to the locations, cable car times, parking, restaurants, and even which choice of vehicle to hire (finally settling on a nine seater Ford Tourneo minibus as it is the same one I own here in the UK).

We had some outstanding weather along with some sublime light and my highlight moment of the tour was standing on that rocky ledge looking out over the Tre Cime di Lavaredo at sunset. That is a memory that will stay with me for life. I was also very blessed to have such a great group of people to share the experiences with so many laughs throughout the week making the tour very special to me, so a HUGE THANK YOU from me for joining us Brian. I really enjoyed your company once again and I hope to see you again soon. If there's anything that I can help you with in the meantime, you know where I am.

All reviews
"his enthusiasm"
in 4 reviews
"spectacular landscape"

Reviewed 12 September 2018

Despite the silly early start at 4.15 am, the early fog on both the land and in my head began to clear and I started to listen and understand what Melvin was telling us. He is creative, encouraging and professional. It was a little tricky as we had taken him out of his native Northern County and into somewhere South of Watford Gap - Stowe House and Gardens. It was a beautiful setting where we had the luxury of the grounds to ourselves for five hours. His light hearted manner shouldn't fool you as to his professional capability as a landscape photographer and teacher. Doesn't matter that my photos aren't the best, at least now I understand what I ought to be doing and even how to do some of it. Thanks Melvin for your foray South and for sharing your passion, time and energy with us all. Highly recommended!

Date of experience: September 2018
Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

Hi Pam

Thank you so much for a genuinely wonderful review on your experience of my recent one day workshop that was held at the beautiful Stowe National Trust. It was absolute pleasure to spend the day with you and your fellow photographers and I am genuinely delighted to hear that you not only enjoyed the day but also felt that it benefited you in helping to improve your landscape photography.

Knowing that I have made a small difference to someone's approach to their photography is the reason why I do what I do. Thank you so much once again Pam and I hope to see you again in the near future. p,.s. If there's anything else that I can help you with in the meantime, you know where I am.

Warmest regards Melvin

Reviewed 4 September 2018

Melvin is a fantastic teacher. He is not one to do everything himself and have you watch, rather he says look around setup your shot and then we'll talk about what you see and how to make it better. He did that throughout the day. That type of teaching works very well for me. I really was amazed when we got to the first spot, we talked for a bit, and then he just walked away. Turns out my original spot was only off by a few feet, but with his instruction it totally changed my ability to see a landscape shot.

Overall, this was a fantastic day. It totally fulfilled everything I was hoping for. Now I just need to keep practicing and learning. When i'm in the area i'll certainly try and go out with Melvin again.

Date of experience: August 2018
Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Hi David. Firstly many thanks indeed for such a lovely review. I am delighted that you not only enjoyed the day with me but even more importantly, that it delivered what you had hoped and that was useful instructional techniques. As you say, I try to have people decide on a location to shoot from first before I step in and make some suggestions as to how you could improve your composition followed by how to capture the scene with the various techniques available to you.

Filters also play their part too and as a Brand Ambassador for Nisi Filters UK, I have a full kit available to demonstrate and use which for some of the photos you took really came in handy. If you ever require further assistance David, even via the old internet rather than in person, give me a shout, you know where I am.

Continued happy shooting David.

Reviewed 1 July 2018

This was my first experience of a workshop with a professional photographer, and was a day course on landscape photography with Melvin and 5 other clients. I have had a DSLR for nearly nine years and have had some landscape images I have been pleased with, but decided that I need to "up my game" in order to aim to be able to create professional standard images.
I not only found Melvin to be extremely knowledgeable across a wide range of camera brands and models and techniques, to help photographers at all levels to get something worthwhile out of his workshops, but the work he put in to supporting all 6 attendees was amazing. All had a very informative day at a great location (incredible weather too, as a bonus), and Melvin also extended invites to all to join his closed Facebook group, to contribute to discussions and sharing of images taken, for feedback etc.
Melvin is the ultimate professional photography tutor/mentor and leaves no stone (or tree . . . . you had to be there to see it!!) unturned to enhance a shot composition.
Absolutely no hesitation in recommending Melvin's workshops to anyone seeking to expand their photography skills and experiences.

Date of experience: June 2018
Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Hi Ed

Well, reviews just do not come any better than that. My heartfelt thanks for taking the time to write about your experience on my recent Lake District workshop. Like you said, we were blessed with outstanding weather and the locations picked at the right time of day to get them at their quietest but even when sharing our space with others, we managed to work with it and capture some lovely images. The thing about landscape photography that I love and also really enjoy imparting on others is that the elements constantly change, as does the weather and a million other things so it's a question of adapting to cope with whatever is in front of you and maximising the opportunities.

Rarely do we get everything that we want, the right weather, the right light, nobody in shot, etc. but we strive to aim for that because when it does pay off with a great image in the camera, we're all much the happier as a result and if we can do that with a smile on your face, all's the better.

Thanks again for a great review Ed and it was my pleasure having you join me/us. I hope to see you again in the future and in the meantime, if you need any assistance or advice, seek me in my dedicated client group on Facebook. Until next time Ed, continued happy snapping.

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 June 2018

What a super day I had in the Heart of Yorkshire, Melvin is absolutely passionate about landscape photography and was willing to take whatever time necessary to help you with compositions, offering to provide you with his suggestions.

Date of experience: June 2018
Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Hi John

Many thanks for another lovely review. I really appreciate you taking the time to put down into words your enjoyment in joining me on my One Day Yorkshire Dales Workshop in Muker, Gunnerside and West Burton falls. It was a pleasure to have you join me as always and I am delighted that you and the other attendees were able to attend the workshop the day after the original date was set as I wanted to reschedule it due to the better weather forecast. We were not to be disappointed with beautiful blue skies and plenty of sunshine to light up the gorgeous rolling dales of Yorkshire.

I hope to see you again soon John and as always, if I can be of any assistance until then, you know where I am. Continued happy photographing.