Review Highlights
LOFOTEN PHOTOGRAPHY TOUR

Just finished a thoroughly enjoyable photography week with a fabulous bunch of fun, like-minded... read more

Reviewed 24 January 2019
Roadtripper200863
Fife, United Kingdom
via mobile
Norway

I Went on Melvins photography trip to Norway in October 2018 well what a trip stayed in a lovely... read more

Reviewed 5 January 2019
LindaS7417

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Keswick
from US$33.76
from US$64.82
from US$47.26
from US$33.76
More Info
All reviews photography workshop isle of skye harris and lewis lake district talented photographer excellent photographer great images experienced photographer excellent knowledge outer hebrides relaxed style makes you feel relaxed salford quays professional approach sharing his knowledge his enthusiasm offer advice
Reviewed 12 November 2018

Just finished a five day Landscape Workshop with Melvin Nicholson, visiting various locations around Harris and Lewis. As a veteran of various Photography workshops with other companies, this was one of the best. Melvin is a very competent photographer who has the ability to communicate his enthusiasm for his style of landscape photography.
The workshop was very well organized, with a group size of six. The transport is a 9 seat comfortable mini bus which has enough space to accommodate the photographic equipment that landscape photographers have to carry round with them. It is advisable that students on these courses have a little more than basic equipment and basic knowledge; a DSLR and reasonable tripod being a possible minimum for equipment.
An attendee on these workshops will have to be prepared for one or two early starts; the possible high spot of the week being at Callinish stone circle for sunrise. We were very lucky with the weather, having a problem when we visited Huisnis, but even this was very worthwhile. Melvin also has a very extensive knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and was willing to give several demonstrations of this. This was very useful. Also he ensured that each student was given individual attention while we were at the various locations. Melvin also ensures that he does extensive research for each location and has an extensive knowledge of Harris and Lewis.

Date of experience: November 2018
Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2018

Hi Jonathan

Thank you very much for leaving such a lovely review and I am naturally delighted that you enjoyed your time with me on the gorgeous island of Harris and Lewis, a location that has fast become one of the UK's premier locations in the UK to visit with a camera.

Having run several workshops on the island and visited it solo to allow me additional quality time to discover new locations for future workshop attendees, I have to confess to possessing extensive knowledge of the locations and when and where works best depending on the weather and light conditions. Good quality transport is of course essential in having those who attend my workshops escorted around in safety and comfort. My latest nine seater Ford Tourneo is the perfect minibus for the job.

Regarding the early sunrise shoot at the mysterious and stunning Callanish Standing Stones, what can you say about that fantastic sunrise? Colour, amazing sky and superb conditions made for a wonderful morning's photography. It will sure stay with me for some time to come.

As a previous attendee of my workshops, I was delighted to have you join me on Harris and Lewis and I am so pleased that you not only got from it what you wanted but that you contributed so much to the great group dynamics that we all enjoyed. So from me to you Jonathan, a BIG THANK YOU for being part of a wonderful team. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future but in the meantime, if there's anything that I help you with, you know where I am.

Reviewed 4 November 2018

Well Iv'e been home a week now after a week on Melvin's Dolomite recce tour, and have started to review some of my images. Considering this was just a recce trip I have got some very pleasing images and far more than I had hoped for.
Straight away I enjoyed Melvin's sense of humor and everyone jelled into a friendly team spirited group with lots of banter.
Our accommodation was always excellent as was the food and there always seemed plenty of time to enjoy my surroundings without feeling rushed or stressed.
I would not hesitate to go on one of Melvin's workshops as nothing was too much trouble for Melvin to ensure we all had a great time and were always in the best possible positions for the best light.
I have come away with great memories and images, the walk out to the The Dolomite's Tre Cine Rifugio Locatelli was mind blowingly spectacular and something I will never forget.

Date of experience: October 2018

Hi Ricky

Firstly thank you so much for being such a fantastic attendee on my recent week long landscape photography tour to the outstandingly beautiful and awe-inspiring Dolomites. Your humour and sense of adventure were really appreciated and enjoyed. This was my first visit to the Dolomites and having researched everything under the sun, i am so delighted that everything went to plan and that we all really enjoyed all that the Dolomites had to offer.

As for sharing that little eight foot rocky ledge with you during a beautiful sunset at the Ririfugio Locatelli overlooking the Tre Cime Di Lavarado, well that will stay with me forever. The scenery was just out of his world and I would recommend everyone go and visit it to experience it for themselves (ideally on one of my photography workshops, ha, ha).

Great to see your recent images from the tour Ricky and you've done a fantastic job in capturing the essence of the place. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future and if there's anything else I can help you with in the meantime, you know where I am.

Reviewed 29 October 2018

If you want some fun, adventure, fantastic scenery and great photographic opportunities then I would strongly recommend that you go on a photographic workshop/tour with Melvin Nicholson to the Dolomites. This 6 day tour had everything and Melvin’s organisation, planning and research were second to none. However he was always happy to make changes in order that we got the best out of the light and the weather.
To get the most out of the location and light you needed to be up for a bit of walking and rising way before sunset: but the rewards are well worth it.
The accommodation and food was first rate and with a great bunch of fellow photographers, along with Melvin’s wit and bonhomie you can’t fail to have a great time and come back with some fabulous photographs
I can’t recommend this tour too highly.

Date of experience: October 2018
Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2018

Hi Brian

Firstly many thanks for such a lovely review. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a few words about your experience on the tour. This was a recce tour in preparation for a full blown workshop Oct 2019 and as usual, I spent a couple of solid weeks researching everything from the various hotels in Cortina d'Ampezzo (where we stayed for the first three nights) and Ortisei (for the following three nights), to the locations, cable car times, parking, restaurants, and even which choice of vehicle to hire (finally settling on a nine seater Ford Tourneo minibus as it is the same one I own here in the UK).

We had some outstanding weather along with some sublime light and my highlight moment of the tour was standing on that rocky ledge looking out over the Tre Cime di Lavaredo at sunset. That is a memory that will stay with me for life. I was also very blessed to have such a great group of people to share the experiences with so many laughs throughout the week making the tour very special to me, so a HUGE THANK YOU from me for joining us Brian. I really enjoyed your company once again and I hope to see you again soon. If there's anything that I can help you with in the meantime, you know where I am.

Reviewed 12 September 2018

Despite the silly early start at 4.15 am, the early fog on both the land and in my head began to clear and I started to listen and understand what Melvin was telling us. He is creative, encouraging and professional. It was a little tricky as we had taken him out of his native Northern County and into somewhere South of Watford Gap - Stowe House and Gardens. It was a beautiful setting where we had the luxury of the grounds to ourselves for five hours. His light hearted manner shouldn't fool you as to his professional capability as a landscape photographer and teacher. Doesn't matter that my photos aren't the best, at least now I understand what I ought to be doing and even how to do some of it. Thanks Melvin for your foray South and for sharing your passion, time and energy with us all. Highly recommended!

Date of experience: September 2018
Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

Hi Pam

Thank you so much for a genuinely wonderful review on your experience of my recent one day workshop that was held at the beautiful Stowe National Trust. It was absolute pleasure to spend the day with you and your fellow photographers and I am genuinely delighted to hear that you not only enjoyed the day but also felt that it benefited you in helping to improve your landscape photography.

Knowing that I have made a small difference to someone's approach to their photography is the reason why I do what I do. Thank you so much once again Pam and I hope to see you again in the near future. p,.s. If there's anything else that I can help you with in the meantime, you know where I am.

Warmest regards Melvin

Reviewed 4 September 2018

Melvin is a fantastic teacher. He is not one to do everything himself and have you watch, rather he says look around setup your shot and then we'll talk about what you see and how to make it better. He did that throughout the day. That type of teaching works very well for me. I really was amazed when we got to the first spot, we talked for a bit, and then he just walked away. Turns out my original spot was only off by a few feet, but with his instruction it totally changed my ability to see a landscape shot.

Overall, this was a fantastic day. It totally fulfilled everything I was hoping for. Now I just need to keep practicing and learning. When i'm in the area i'll certainly try and go out with Melvin again.

Date of experience: August 2018
Melvin_Nicholson, Owner at Melvin Nicholson Photography, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Hi David. Firstly many thanks indeed for such a lovely review. I am delighted that you not only enjoyed the day with me but even more importantly, that it delivered what you had hoped and that was useful instructional techniques. As you say, I try to have people decide on a location to shoot from first before I step in and make some suggestions as to how you could improve your composition followed by how to capture the scene with the various techniques available to you.

Filters also play their part too and as a Brand Ambassador for Nisi Filters UK, I have a full kit available to demonstrate and use which for some of the photos you took really came in handy. If you ever require further assistance David, even via the old internet rather than in person, give me a shout, you know where I am.

Continued happy shooting David.